Hello

Ranger275

Hey Everybody!
Experienced veg gardener (permaculture, bio-dynamix, organix) just starting to grow my own in Atlanta. I've read some posts & you're so knowledgeable. I look forward to the help that seems to circulate so freely. I'm a vet & smoke for recreation, relaxation and because it's fun!

The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow. (Roughly).
Confucius

:welcome: to :420:

u have came to the right place .. first off .THANKS FOR YOUR BRAVE SERVICE !!!!!:bravo:

if u have specific questions check out our Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome Ranger! Thank you for your service! The mass of knowledge I've found on this site is mind blowing. :passitleft:
You've come to the right place. I've been looking at people's grow journals who are using the same method as me and who are more experienced. (that's almost everyone) lol Again.. Welcome! :peace:

Howdy One and All,
First off thx for making me feel so welcome from the git go. I can't tell you what it's meant to me. Gardening is wonderful, but it can be lonely also. This community is a rare treat, for which I'm most grateful.
I've sought out some advice and was told to start a new thread. When I tried it said my "BB code" was wrong, or off, or something I don't know how to fix. So I'll start here and make the best of it.
My background is in farming and gardening, but now I'm back in the city, so time to adapt and overcome. I've adapted my experience to the city by doing what I call Edible Landscaping. One of my fortes is espalier, or training (usually) fruit trees into different shapes, often fences. My SCRoG idea is a hybrid of this with an eye towards greater efficiency in the use of: light, electricity and CO2.
Basically, this would be a VSCRoG, flat up against a wall w/reflective material on the wall. The bush would only be 2-3" from the wall to maximixe the available light. Beneath and sort of around would be a skirt to retain CO2 right near the plant.
My great-Aunt taught me a training technique which my family uses for training tomatoes, zucchini cucumbers and the like. For the main stem tie a fat loop of twine around the base of the plant and do a wrap (or turn) up between each node. As the plant grows, add a turn of the twine. For side branches: tie to the twine on the main stem (not the stem itself) approximately where the branch juts out and proceed wrapping out to the end and tie to something stout. This firm, but gentle, training technique will produce a plant which is 2-dimensional/flat against the wall.
Advantages: (theoretically)
All SCRoG advantages but less stressful to the plant.
Fewer fans necessary as each branch is supported.
Plant energy focused on bud formation, not strong branches.
Skirt would keep expensive CO2 where it's needed, not pooling on the floor.
I drew a crude drawing on MSPaint, but I can't seem to attach it w/o an URL. I'm sure URL's a nice guy and all, but we haven't been introduced. I'll keep trying and 'til then hope my clumsy prose is enough to give you the gist.
Any and all comments would be muchly appreciated. Is this a viable technique or just plain dumb?

Ranger275,
Hello again! Hope all is well in your world! Are you trying to start a new thread as a grow journal, or faq, or somewhere else? I'm sure I can help you if you'd like.
If it's a grow journal you're trying to start, try it on this link: Start a Grow Journal
and
Frequently Asked Questions: Frequently Asked Questions
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Greenest Regards, :green_heart: :Namaste:
BEATEO

Howdy BEATEO,
Thx for the quick reply. I read the link, and while it made some excellent suggestions for format, it didn't say how to start a Journal. On a related note, is it possible to include an illustration? Many of the people here seem to be visual by nature. I made a crude drawing on MSPaint, but couldn't insert it without a URL(?).
Thx again for the much-needed help.

Hello Ranger275 and :welcome: to :420: I think you're going to like it here.

Your training technique sounds interesting. I've got a couple of young fruit trees that I've been training this summer, so for both regular and cannabis growing I'd love to see your plan.

Start your journal by going to the Grow Room drop down menu at the top of the page. Then Grow Journals / Journals in Progress and then the Forum Tools drop down menu and finally Post A New Thread. When you've started it pop the link in your signature and post again here so we can all find it. I can't help you on the illustration I'm afraid although I'm sure it's possible to do.

See you at your journal. :circle-of-love:

Ranger275,
Hope all is well in your world.
I believe Mr. Teddy has you on the right path for a journal. For your drawing I can think of two possibilities.... on the tool bar above, next to the smiley face is a globe. That globe is used to insert links. The other possibility is if you can save your drawing as a .jpg file you should be able to upload it under the "gallery" tab as a photo.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Greenest Regards, :green_heart: :Namaste:
BEATEO

Howdy BEATEO,
Thx for the quick reply. I read the link, and while it made some excellent suggestions for format, it didn't say how to start a Journal. On a related note, is it possible to include an illustration? Many of the people here seem to be visual by nature. I made a crude drawing on MSPaint, but couldn't insert it without a URL(?).
Thx again for the much-needed help.

Welcome ranger, you have some interesting ideas, but you didn't say what your growing medium is, or what lights your gonna use or nutes, in a closet, or a grow room or maybe a tent, this site is full of all the info your gonna need to grow killer weed! :welcome:

Howdy gryzzly56,
Thx 4 dropping by, and thx 4 the praise.
You're absolutely right on all counts. Many of the factors on this soon-2-be grow are still up in the air, and I'm busily trying 2 sort them out before I pop seed (probably bag).
I'm torn between super-soil in smart-pots and top-feed DWC. May also spring for seed if there are any suggestions that seem approrpriate to this kind of grow.
Hope you'll pop by journal and render your welcome feedback/suggestions.

Mr Teddy: Thx for the help. For your fruit trees you might want to check out the Belgian Fence-Lozange Variation. Very lovely, and useful, but requires patience (3-5 years). I've also had success w/Arcure and Drapeau Marchand. Might be better if this is your maiden voyage.

DK: You really think so? I could do a normal scrog, but thought this might be a nice twist.

Howdy gryzzly56,
Thx 4 dropping by, and thx 4 the praise.
You're absolutely right on all counts. Many of the factors on this soon-2-be grow are still up in the air, and I'm busily trying 2 sort them out before I pop seed (probably bag).
I'm torn between super-soil in smart-pots and top-feed DWC. May also spring for seed if there are any suggestions that seem approrpriate to this kind of grow.
Hope you'll pop by journal and render your welcome feedback/suggestions.
I'll be watching your journal with alot of interest! :420:

Back
Top Bottom