Help a girl out, what does everyone think about this hydro system I got?

goodwinclayto

image6879.jpg

What do you think? I'm a first time grower. When should I start adding nutrients after I put my seedlings in. Btw the seedlings will be in rockwool cubes with hydro balls thanks

Re: Help a girl out what does everyone think about this hydro system I got?

Hey! Nice looking set up! Dont add nutes until you see 4 nodes. I left mine even longer than that. Seedlings are really REALLY sensitie to nutes. Don't use any until they are about 2-4 weeks old. (birthday being date it sprouted)

I have a similar set up going if you want to have a look. This is my first time grow too, but i made the mistake of giving them nutes too soon! :)

Okay so basically 4 leafs? And I should wait until I see 4 leafs in my humidity dome first before putting them in the buckets right?

I moved mine to the buckets when the roots popped out of the bottom of the net pot, through the clay pebbles. You may need to keep a slightly higher water level for a few days while the roots grow long enough to sit in the water. I keep about an inch between the net cup and the water (thats my bench mark water line)

It's not so much about leaves, more about nodes, have a look at this:

Plant_nodes_c.jpg

You want to count 4 nodes up, when you have 4, you can feed if you think they need it. From my experience you are better off giving them less nutes than more. It was a right old pain in the ass to come back from over-fertilisation than it was to solve nute deficiency problems. Personally i will not give them nutes until they are atleast 3 weeks old :thumb:

And I should wait until I see 4 leafs in my humidity dome first before putting them in the buckets right?

You might want to take them out of the humidity dome a bit earlier and get them used to the environment before putting them in their soon to be permanent homes. (I think they call this "hardening off")

I think that one of the reasons a humidity dome is good is because clones, obviously don't have any roots so the leaves are their only source of food. With this in mind, once the plants have a healthy root system I would say your good to move out of the humidity dome and encourage the roots to do the heavy lifting, provided you are hand watering watering until they can go in the buckets :)

The Recirculating Deep Water Culture system you have chosen should be a good hydroponic system for your plants. When your seedlings have roots protruding from the rockwool cube you can transplant them to your Recirculating Deep Water Culture system. You should set your water level 1 inch below the net pot for your seedlings. You will need to hand water your plants until the roots have reached the water. When your seedlings are 4-5 inches tall and have 5 nodes of growth I would start feeding them a 1/4 strength dose of nutrients and progressively over several reservoir changes increase the dosage to full strength nutrients.

this system confuses me

so it pulls from the bottom in what looks like 1/2 inch hose,and pushes with the little air pump?? to a top feed??
does it use stones in each bucket??

in my experience when I used 3/4 inch lines the roots ran straight to them,i recently changed them to 2 inch, to avoid the hassle

Water is pumped from the reservoir (the bigger of the buckets) to the smaller buckets (where your plants will sit) through the irrigation pipe at the bottom, correct. The hose in the top, I suspect is not for feeding, but to pump oxygen into each of the buckets, through an air stone that sits on the bottom of each one. But its hard to tell from the pic. It could be a top feed as the hose is so close to the et pots, in which case the air pump is oxygenating the main reservoir. Let us know, out of curiosity :thumb:

I use 1/4 nutes once I throw it in my dwc bucket that's once the taproot sticks out
I make my water lvl a little higher in the beginning so the water can just barely touch the plug
once I see the roots out the bottom of the netpot i can lower the water lvl
but in my dwc bucket i have airstones in each bucket so its constantly oxygenated in each individual bucket
the system you have the air oxygenates the water in the main res

if that's the air pump for the system, I would get rid of that, in my limited experience I like to use 1-1.5 watts of air per gallon

in my 4 site + rez I use a 20watt air pump for 15 gallon or approx. 60 litres

check out cultivator(on this site) he has the dwc/rdwc figured out :thumb:

yea I was using an 18 watt one but I just replaced it
was making funny noises the shops didn't have the same size to replace now im one size bigger
35 watts this one like 65 litres per minute the last one was gallons per hr
its all about the same if you look at the wattage this would be about a 900 gph
but wow the amount of air now using them in 3 buckets @ under 15 gallons
i think i can go six buckets with this airpump but just don't have the room for the plants lol
basically i think c526 is telling you to get a commercial pump instead
pumps way more air than those fisk tank looking type pumps

Hey I like your Hydro system. Looking for one myself but no shops around here. Any suggestions or links to similar ones I can buy online? Thanks and subbed to your grow :)

Back
Top Bottom