Help! Are these thicker white pistils normal?

pdxclosetgrow

I'm doing a VERY low-tech, novice closet grow and I have one surviving plant (total n00b). Soil growing, cheap Amazon light, no ph testing etc.

A few days ago I noticed one bud on my plant is growing these thicker white pistils as shown in this photo:
IMG_0050124.jpg

Here is another bud from the same plant without the thick white pistil-like things I am concerned about:
IMG_0053102.jpg

Is this normal? I couldn't figure out how to google it.

I'd say it's undergone quite a bit of stress. Is there any hope to get some smoke-able product if it's a hermaphrodite? Can I keep growing or should I just harvest it and hope there aren't too many seeds?

Thanks for your reply!!

This is the best I could do - it's kind of an awkward angle to take photos . I plucked out the "nanner" - the buds have just started to gain some weight in the past 2 weeks or so, so I'm hoping to be able to continue growing her, since it's the only plant in my grow I figure it can't pollinate any others. I am a little anxious it harvest her and start a new batch of seeds and see if I can get more than one plant to survive to flowering this time around.
IMG_005890.jpg

Is there any hope to get some smoke-able product if it's a hermaphrodite? Can I keep growing or should I just harvest it and hope there aren't too many seeds?

Just looking at all those trichomes, it looks like you have smokeable product already! :thumb:

Judging by those brown pistils and what looks like cloudy trichomes, it looks like it's about ready to harvest...

Thanks! There's just very little bud on the plant - but I think I might just call this first plant a wash and harvest it. Try to stress the babies in the next round less. This one started out really leggy, too, so I think it may just be the best I'm gonna do. Though this strain seemed to have really dark brown pistils right from the start, they haven't really changed colors at all. The only color change I've noticed is the "nanners".

I might just call this first plant a wash and harvest it.

I wouldn't call it a wash, I'd call it a successful grow!

You didn't get monster, bud-of-the-month colas, but you've got a useful harvest there! Cut it, cure it, and smoke it! :)

You say your plant started out "leggy." That automatically makes me think "needs more light." Cannabis loves light, and the difference between a pretty green plant and a big lush one with giant buds is lots of bright light (assuming you have you soil and fertilizer worked out).

Another photo from an angle where you can see how little bud there is on the plant. Would you harvest or keep growing if this were your only plant?

What determines when it's time to harvest is not the look of the plant over all but the color of the pistils (yours say "harvest"!) and more importantly (I understand), the clarity of your trichomes (and yours look cloudy).

Next time consider doing some trimming and training to keep the plant more compact, which will make it easier to illuminate evenly. (Consider topping it when it's young.)

Thanks for all your insight! I say "leggy" because my first round of starts were grown with a terrible "plant light bulb" with basically zero research behind how to grow weed. The light was way too high up, so the plants grew very tall before they got many fan leaves. Then I moved the light closer and they burned - lost a few that way. Then I switched to the LED panel you can see in the last photo. I ended up transplanting the one surviving plant into a pot with a lot more depth of soil to help support her, tied her up and hopes for the best. Next time I'm starting with LED, hung as close as possible to the leaves, and plenty of wind to help strengthen the stems.

Everything takes practice! Do you have a suggestion/link to a great instructional "how to cure" page? Much appreciated!

Thanks for all your insight! I say "leggy" because my first round of starts were grown with a terrible "plant light bulb" with basically zero research behind how to grow weed. The light was way too high up, so the plants grew very tall before they got many fan leaves. Then I moved the light closer and they burned - lost a few that way. Then I switched to the LED panel you can see in the last photo. I ended up transplanting the one surviving plant into a pot with a lot more depth of soil to help support her, tied her up and hopes for the best. Next time I'm starting with LED, hung as close as possible to the leaves, and plenty of wind to help strengthen the stems.

Everything takes practice! Do you have a suggestion/link to a great instructional "how to cure" page? Much appreciated!

Not trying to sound like an ass but always do your research before going into something. You will find though that even though you research everything, real world applications has a few more lessons in store for you. When you start out with LED you should expect short node spacing. Thats a lesson I learned real fast.

Whats the model of your LED light? Wattage? I am using a mars reflector 144 and got buds like this almost ready to go. These buds are actually undersized. I am going to have to add more lighting on my next grow even though they are made for my size tent.

20171205_094734.jpeg
20171205_094245.jpeg

Another photo from an angle where you can see how little bud there is on the plant. Would you harvest or keep growing if this were your only plant?
IMG_005991.jpg

I would flush it and run at least 1 more week to see if the buds fatten up. (see last note)

In the meantime you can start some seeds. How big is the rated footprint for your light? You want to give each plant around a 2 x 2 space.

Be careful with seedlings and light distance. An LED light can fry them if too close.

Looking at the last pic, you have 2 natural cut lines with buds above an empty space and buds below. Cut off the top layer then drop the light to beef up the middle more, cut that and lower the light again to beef up the bottom. No reason to harvest all at once.

Cut wait a week cut wait a week final cut. This will give you very good experience watching the final couple of weeks of a plant.

Back
Top Bottom