Help! Bubble hash problem

OK so really all it saves on is the mixing, and I’d still have to fuss around with cleaning all those annoying bags and whatnot? That doesn’t sound like it would save me any work then.

I just clamp the throttle on the drill with the paint mixer attachment, clamp the drill in place above the bucket/barrel and leave it. I’ve tried all sorts of ways of doing it over the years Fast, slow, short, long, :laughtwo: I got those bubble bags a little over 10 years ago and have been using them steadily since. Before that, since the mid 90s I made it with just a jar and ice with -no bags.

Re using the paint mixer attachment, basically the hash you produce is as good as you want it to be. Depending how you go about it. I usually opt for high-grade/decent yield as opposed to the AAA grade with low yield, or lower grade/high yield.

I constantly read people saying to just gently stir the material for a few minutes or you will only yield low grade crap. This is not the case for me.

I suppose it depends what goes in.

Here is some hash which I made by beating the shit out of it 30 minutes per run with the paint mixer attachment. After three runs I mixed all the results together and this is what I got.
Now I’ve started timing the runs for an hour or more each run. I also set the throttle quite a bit higher than I ever used to. So I don’t know....results vary

Anyway....@BBO420 - If that happened to me and I was in your shoes I would try running it all again but doing it harder, LOL

BBO, the other thing I meant to mention is that -that dog turd up above was made using almost all sativa bud which is partly why the return was so low. I have managed to produce a 20% yield by weight using Pineapple Chunk.

IMG_088149.JPG

IMG_088436.JPG

IMG_088335.JPG

Wow look at that hash:cool:

But it was 3 lbs of trim wet not tried so what maybe 2lbs of trim maybe a tad more? I ran half of that the first run. And I’m determined I’m going to try it again. I started experimenting with ISO wax back in 2011 since then I’ve upgraded to a rosin press back in 2015. I’ve tried a lot of things this bubble hash is new to me but I’ll get it. I just like spelling out what I did and hearing other people’s suggestions and runs. I’m going to wash the rest just trying to get more familiar with what I did wrong. I know hash yields are a hit or miss I’ve read that in a lot of places. I really was expecting 15g+ and I didn’t even get half of that. I guess that’s what happens when you go expecting things. I enjoy talking about something that you can never know too much of though!

Like I said if I don’t feel like I yielded well enough, I take the material left over and I try another run with it- crank up the speed and just beat the crap out of it and see what I get. There’s always something left over even after that and you can dry it out and run some alcohol through it. Or dry ice if you can get it. Or whatever. Make edibles. I made some wine with a batch of hash leftovers one time and it turned out really great

OK so really all it saves on is the mixing, and I’d still have to fuss around with cleaning all those annoying bags and whatnot? That doesn’t sound like it would save me any work then.

I just clamp the throttle on the drill with the paint mixer attachment, clamp the drill in place above the bucket/barrel and leave it. I’ve tried all sorts of ways of doing it over the years Fast, slow, short, long, :laughtwo: I got those bubble bags a little over 10 years ago and have been using them steadily since. Before that, since the mid 90s I made it with just a jar and ice with -no bags.

Re using the paint mixer attachment, basically the hash you produce is as good as you want it to be. Depending how you go about it. I usually opt for high-grade/decent yield as opposed to the AAA grade with low yield, or lower grade/high yield.

I constantly read people saying to just gently stir the material for a few minutes or you will only yield low grade crap. This is not the case for me.

I suppose it depends what goes in.

Here is some hash which I made by beating the shit out of it 30 minutes per run with the paint mixer attachment. After three runs I mixed all the results together and this is what I got.
Now I’ve started timing the runs for an hour or more each run. I also set the throttle quite a bit higher than I ever used to. So I don’t know....results vary

Anyway....@BBO420 - If that happened to me and I was in your shoes I would try running it all again but doing it harder, LOL

BBO, the other thing I meant to mention is that -that dog turd up above was made using almost all sativa bud which is partly why the return was so low. I have managed to produce a 20% yield by weight using Pineapple Chunk.

IMG_088149.JPG

IMG_088436.JPG

IMG_088335.JPG

Nice. That's good to know, I've been gentle with it so far. I ran more washes this time, just kept running it and checking the bags after each wash watching for too much green. Eventually the water came out much more clear than it had been and I figured that was finally the end. It took 8 wash cycles 6@6 mins 1@3 minutes and 1@1 minute. Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure my returns will be even better this time.

After all this time I’m still working on the process.
I figured - rather than doing three or four runs of 15 minutes each - why not do one run and let it go for an hour... :hmmmm:
So I did that. And it worked out OK. So naturally- I did a second run- for another hour - and that worked out OK as well.

The last time I made it I did two runs of an hour and a half each. So that drill was whining away for most of the afternoon. Where does it stop?

For large-ish amounts I find the whole bubble hash thing is a lot of tedious work and I’m getting to dislike doing it.
I may try doing the dry ice method with a fire extinguisher- something I saw in a video someone, I think Mr Krip, sent me.

I agree, it gets to be monotonous after a short time. I didn't clean the bags after each wash like I have before I just rinsed them and dumped the next cycle. I'm going to try and run the last couple bags tomorrow I'm planning to try some longer washes 15-30 mins and see how it does. My last bag tonight seemed to tail off after 45 total mins of washing.

On the co2 note I saw a "rocket washer" they don't use ice or a motor, they basically blast co2 into a kettle and let that cool and percolate the water. Off grid alternative supposedly, ... except you still need the bottle of co2. :hmmmm:

I think I’ll be making some bubble hash tomorrow with the remaining 1.5lb of wet trim I have. I took it out of the freezer and has been thawing out the past few days on newspaper.

I kept it frozen the first run. Trying something different this run I’ve read people doing it. I’m just looking for a better experience this time around we shall see.

Agreed.

When it’s frozen the bud is very brittle and can be easily crumbled up by hand, similar to very dry bud
Not that you necessarily want to do that- though I often do crumble up the larger chunks. But my point is - the process works by breaking off trichomes, and so for that- brittleness is where it’s at.
Rethawed bud will not be brittle. It’s more soggy.

I kept it frozen the first run. Trying something different this run I’ve read people doing it. I’m just looking for a better experience this time around we shall see.

Could be the lack of ice...
Did you let the water sift and drain on its own?
I never lift the bags out of the water..

This last run it sat for about 8 hours draining after the mix. Even though I was excited to see my finished yield, I knew it would be better if I left it for all the water to drain

A few important musts for making bubble with ice and water..

Make sure your material is very dry. Like in my opinion.. more dry than what you want for smoke.
Then in the freezer overnight.
The colder everything is the better, the water the trim must be as cold as you can get it.

Also dont leave big buds intact.
I kinda go through it all and hand pick it apart quickly.

I ran 6 or 7 oz of outdoor flower..
Not very good quality, but still yielded
15 grams..

Two 15 min wash cycles..

20190929_101329.jpg

Does anyone press theyre hash after its had a chance to dry a bit?
Use any heat at all..? just pressure?

Curious what others are doing

Im with @TurboBucket..... there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what the bubble bags do....

The bags are to filter the plant material away from the "goodies"
The ices is to break off the trichomes. Freezing does the same thing and is great to use in combination with ice...you still need ice, though. the
Agitate every bag and strain into the next bag.
Save and dry out each bag...worse case scenario, just throw it back in and do it again.
Press, dry out with low, low heat and press again and repeat.

I pressed/dried mine out for like 5 days.

For 15 lbs of leaf you should have gotten a substantial amount of hash I dont care how crappy the crop was.

Back
Top Bottom