Help - Cloning from plants I purchased

angelag

I am new at this... I purchased some real nice plants from a friends brother a few months ago.
They are doing super well and have grown more than a foot since I've had them.
My friend's son works with my friends brother, (so his uncle).

I had told my friend the other day that I gave a few clones to another friend of mine who is legal to receive them.
My friend then freaked out (but she didn't say anything to me) and went right to her son to tell him I gave
clones away (off her brothers, his uncles plants). My friend's son then told her that I cannot be cloning his uncles plants (my friend's brother's plants).

My friend and I then got into an argument over it as I explained her brother never ever said that I could not clone his plants! I told my friend her son did no know what he was talking about and that I want to talk to her brother about this myself. Her brother never contacted me... But, my friend still thinks that I should not be cloning her brothers plants.

My friend is not knowledgeable in this area... And then started throwing in words, like patent, copyright, etc.
I just want to get this settled once and for all! I would like my friend and her son to know that was they are saying is totally NOT TRUE! And that I CAN CLONE and do what I want with them, as I purchased the plants and own them myself!

I've been searching the internet for anything related to this type of disagreement, but can't find anything.
I would think "the brother" would have specifically would have told me not to clone if he felt that was important.

I've never heard of not being able to clone peoples plants.. As I've only been growing 4 plants since May 30th.
Any info. on this would be great!!!

Here is my take on it.... it there was no prior agreement to not clone the plant and you paid for it, then it is your plant to do what you see fit with. Its like dog breeding, if you buy a pure bread dog from a breeder and sign a non breeding contract, then no you cannot breed the dog. These contracts exist so breeders can make money, if the contract was never signed and you have a papered animal, then it is your dog to breed as you see fit. If your buddies uncles sisters cousin didnt want you to breed the plant that should have been stated when you bought it, if there was no such discussion, do what you want with it. Thats my 2 cents anyways.. Unless of course this is Monsanto Seeds...(lol).

Here is my take on it.... it there was no prior agreement to not clone the plant and you paid for it, then it is your plant to do what you see fit with. Its like dog breeding, if you buy a pure bread dog from a breeder and sign a non breeding contract, then no you cannot breed the dog. These contracts exist so breeders can make money, if the contract was never signed and you have a papered animal, then it is your dog to breed as you see fit. If your buddies uncles sisters cousin didnt want you to breed the plant that should have been stated when you bought it, if there was no such discussion, do what you want with it. Thats my 2 cents anyways.. Unless of course this is Monsanto Seeds...(lol).

That is totally how I looked at it!!!! Thank you!

Unless of course this is Monsanto Seeds...(lol).

Oh goodness, say it aint so...

If you bought a clone from a dispensary, or seeds from a seed bank they would never tell you not to clone them. You bought it, its yours, do whatever you want with it. If someone is that hung up on controlling plant genetics, they shouldn't be selling plants in the first place.

Unless the seller has a signed agreement that you as the buyer cannot clone their plant, then feel free to suggest that they hire an attorney. Especially if you are in an area where MMJ is legal.

Otherwise they would've had to genetically modify (not just cross breed) their strain and own a patent on those genetics.

*edit* if MMJ is not legal in your area, just remember that the law will not be on your side (right, wrong, or indifferent). If the situation escalates, it could get ugly for everyone involved. In this case, i would just apologize and tell them you won't do it again. Then clone their plant perpetually so you don't have to do business with them again, and of course not tell them about it. :high-five:

go4snypr is right.

In the meantime, just apologize to them and say you didn't know, and that you won't do anything like that again. That will keep the friendship/business relation going.

And continue receiving seeds/clones from them, and do with them as you see fit. What they don't know won't hurt them. Cannabis should be shared with everyone.

Oh goodness, say it aint so...

If you bought a clone from a dispensary, or seeds from a seed bank they would never tell you not to clone them. You bought it, its yours, do whatever you want with it. If someone is that hung up on controlling plant genetics, they shouldn't be selling plants in the first place.

Unless the seller has a signed agreement that you as the buyer cannot clone their plant, then feel free to suggest that they hire an attorney. Especially if you are in an area where MMJ is legal.

Otherwise they would've had to genetically modify (not just cross breed) their strain and own a patent on those genetics.

*edit* if MMJ is not legal in your area, just remember that the law will not be on your side (right, wrong, or indifferent). If the situation escalates, it could get ugly for everyone involved. In this case, i would just apologize and tell them you won't do it again. Then clone their plant perpetually so you don't have to do business with them again, and of course not tell them about it. :high-five:

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you! It's my friend, that went to her son (regarding her brother's plants/his uncle) And they are the ones that made a huge deal over it all. I have requested that her brother contact me, etc. and I still haven't heard from him... As I thought in the beginning.. She and her son do not know what they are talking about! This just really pisses me off to be honest. Because my friend is the one that started this with her son, and I don't have access to "her/his, brother/uncles" number to contact him myself. And know that my friend made such a deal about this, I'd like to talk directly to the person I bought the plants from. Because I believe he's going to think my friend and her son bumped their heads!

Kind of at the point now that I want to really talk to the person myself so that my friend and her son can see that THIS is the way this all works! And I really want them to think about this and do their homework before they get their panties in a wad!!! So, now it's more
about the point, as my friend thinks her young son knows EVERYTHING about growing etc. (when he really doesn't) all because he helps his uncle (her brother) with the plants and all.

Back
Top Bottom