Help deciding to make reg or fem seeds

Silverfox125

Ok so as the title suggests I’m torn on if I should use a regular male or If I should reverse a female to make feminized seeds.

anybody that knows me knows I’ve researched this more than I probably should and have been back and forth on my decision.

so experienced breeders. What do you think. To me it seems to easy to make fem seeds. And I’m scared once they are gone I’d loose the genetics.

any advice pros and cons would be appreciated.

I have some DJ short seeds that were not cheap and I’d like to make the best decision I can moving forward with this line.

tharwrnks In advance

silver :Namaste:

Pollination with multiple males would preserve the genetic integrity the most. Multiple XY combos.
A single male would be a narrower window.
And fems would be the least genetically diverse only XX combos. Kind of your call on what your trying to do. Just preserve the line or selectively breed.

I see no reason of going to the extra trouble of stressing a female so badly that she produces seeds. It is far less stress on both you and the plants to just pollinate some lucky lady and have her give forth... You preserve all the genetics and the stabilization of the line, and it really is no trouble to cull out a few males when you start up a batch if you have no need for them.
Now if you plan on marketing the seeds you produce, then hell yes... Fem seeds are a gold mine.

Thank you both.

that’s the direction I was wanting to head anyway. It seems better for the line.

thanks for the tip on multiple males. I heard that in an interview on the potcast and it really made me want to try it.

the breeder said it was the best way to not “bottle neck” the genetics.

That’s all I needed to hear. I just got the seeds to germ recently. Excited for this journey

thank you!

Silver

Every feminized seed I've bought has produced a female plant. I like this as I'm limited both by the number I'm allowed to grow, and the space I can use. I can't afford to have plants sticking around for several months, just for pollen.

I'm using STS for the second time. The first had rather disappointing results, as the methods and frequency for its use were poorly documented. I only reverse a single branch for pollen, then use that to pollinate a bud or two on whatever plants I wish.

The area occupied by a male plant produces no bud, while that occupied by a female with a reversed branch can produce 90% or more than she would have without the reversal.

If you are worried about losing a plant's genetics, there are two ways to prevent this. You can take clones and keep them until you are certain of your success, or you can re-veg the original plant.

I would make regular seed if males are available. Make S1 if it’s clone only and you need seeds for whatever reason.

Thank you :green_heart:

your Opinion weighs heavy for me. this post literally started out as a message to you lol. But then I thought let’s hear what the masses have to say.

thank you for always guiding me into the next right decision

All I can do is tell you how I would go about it. We really do need to preserve the genetic integrity of our chosen strains for the day corporations take over with their proprietary strains.

All I can do is tell you how I would go about it. We really do need to preserve the genetic integrity of our chosen strains for the day corporations take over with their proprietary strains.

It's already happened in Canada. Licensed Producers are the only authorized sources for legal recreational seeds.

That’s my what made me want to start. I’m just trying to satisfy my own head.

I want to do this line and one from the chem dog family then just kind of work those two for the next couple decades :passitleft:

That’s my what made me want to start. I’m just trying to satisfy my own head.

I want to do this line and one from the chem dog family then just kind of work those two for the next couple decades :passitleft:

It would be nice to be around in a couple of decades, provided I could still look after myself. I doubt I'll last a decade. The men in my family tend to die early.

It's already happened in Canada. Licensed Producers are the only authorized sources for legal recreational seeds.

Same thing in Michigan. Everything is regulated seed to sale. How they plan to enforce that is beyond me but I don't care to find out first hand.

Back
Top Bottom