Help! GSC leaves twisted and deformed

Karden

Hi all! I just started growing with LED lights this year. I am trying 2 new strains, Girl Scout Cookies and Blue Dream and am running into problems already. My GSC seedlings are growing all funky, leaves are twisted, and very small. One of my Blue Dreams is doing very good, the other has mottled spots. Growing in 4” pots, with seedling mixture. 300W LED grow light at 26” above, lights on 24 hours right now. Wondering if the GSC seeds were faulty? Seeds were sprouted using paper towel method then put in 4” pots. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! First pic is GSC, 2nd is Blue Dream.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Once they sprouted in soil and we’re about an inch high I had the light at 24”, that was April 8th. By the 18th the leaves started twisting so I moved light to 27”, that’s where it still is. I started them in seedling potting soil. I first gave the light feeding on the 14th using the chart for Flora Series. 2ml Micro, 1ml Gro, and 1 ml Bloom. I have not given them anything since then because I am unsure of what the problem is. There are new leaves sprouting but they look like they are going to twist too.☹️

Maybe Shed’s thread will help you straighten those girls out. He has a Tin Can Kush that was showing twisted leaves something like yours.

Post in thread 'InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time'
InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

If my ph goes off I get twisted leaves in veg room.
But I’m in coco. Don’t know if that has any effect on little ones in soil. Do you know what your ph is ?
Bill

ph is about 7.2 , and here is soil ingredients in pic. Checked today and still looking funky, lights have been moved up for over a week now and new leaves are twisting as well.

image.jpg
That pH number of 7.2 is way to high. How are you measuring the pH? Is it with a pen instrument or are you using drops or pH strips?

The photo shows the NPK numbers but does not show what the potting mix is made out of. The ingredients will be somewhere else on the bag of the bag or possibly on the front. If you cannot find it then maybe a photo which shows the entire front of the bag and a photo of the entire back of the bag.

I had this same issue on my current grow. Like the rest said, your PH is too high. Not an expert but what I changed up was checking my ph. I used to check it right after adding the nutes, and now I add the nutes and let it sit overnight and check in the morning and adjust.

The bag appears to be Miracle Gro seed starter? If so, main ingredient is peat moss. If peat moss is the main ingredient, your pH is too high. Peat moss runs best at high 5's and low 6's in the pH range.

That could be your issue.

The bag appears to be Miracle Gro seed starter? If so, main ingredient is peat moss. If peat moss is the main ingredient, your pH is too high. Peat moss runs best at high 5's and low 6's in the pH range.

That could be your issue.
Well, I'll be. There were stacks of Miracle Gro bags of kinds at the neighborhood hardware store this morning and I did not look at any of them. If I had looked I might have recognized the bag of soil stuff. Instead, I walked inside to get a bag of birdseed and a small bag of wood chips for smoking some chicken parts tomorrow afternoon.

Even garden lime will help. That's what I buffer(ed) my mix with. Also cooked for a month. If it is seed starter it should be limed.

Even most tap water is okay for Peat moss. Once your pH gets past the low 6's you could experience problems.

In the 7's is probably not optimal.

That pH number of 7.2 is way to high. How are you measuring the pH? Is it with a pen instrument or are you using drops or pH strips?

The photo shows the NPK numbers but does not show what the potting mix is made out of. The ingredients will be somewhere else on the bag of the bag or possibly on the front. If you cannot find it then maybe a photo which shows the entire front of the bag and a photo of the entire back of the bag.
Using a ph strip to check water. I am a newbie to nutrients and do not know how to check soil ph. The seedling mix is Miracle-Gro, but I added more perlite to it. I assume it is mostly peat moss. Today I moved them into 6” pots with ProMix.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was thinking peat as well when I saw the pic, and peat moss rather than sphagnum pest moss actually.

If there's no lime or other buffering ingredient in there, I would be pH'ing exactly where Pat said.

And I wouldn't recommend using that stuff for any of your plants going forward.
Thank you, I will not be using again, this was my first time using it. What is weird though is that just 2 plants are doing it, if it was the soil ph would they not all be struggling? I am a nutrient newbie so this is all so confusing to me! In the past I just grew under florescent lights with regular fertilize...never had an issue...lol. Now with new LED lights I am having issues...sigh. I sure do appreciate all the help here!

Back
Top Bottom