420 Magazine Background

Help help help! Start of bud rot and need the ingredients solution

HigherTheHigh

TorturedSoul

Member of the Month: May 2009, Oct 2010, Sept 2017
That's the thing about
mega dense and mega heavy, had a cola bigger than my leg!

It's a moisture-trap. Plants transpire moisture. When this moisture is trapped inside a dense bud structure, things like rot can occur because this environment creates zones of high localized humidity - even if the overall humidity of a grow room is low.

Scientific

It's a moisture-trap. Plants transpire moisture. When this moisture is trapped inside a dense bud structure, things like rot can occur because this environment creates zones of high localized humidity - even if the overall humidity of a grow room is low.

So logically when the buds get dense one should lower the humidity as much as possible, then, no? I would think that at the very end of flowering when you don't care about the leaves anymore you could use a dehumidifier to take the RH WAY down.

And again, logically, you would want as much air circulation over those dense buds to help them to lose the excess moisture, no?

I lost a bud that was "only" as big as a beer can to rot, and it broke my heart. I'm still cogitating about how to stop that from happening again...

HigherTheHigh

i did have enough airflow through them, just where one or two buds where the fan leaves had died back into the bud.

i got 15oz from a 4x4 twice and im hoping i get more this time around!

there hanging in a tent now with the extractor running low and a fan on low speed on the bottom but not facing them.

TorturedSoul

Member of the Month: May 2009, Oct 2010, Sept 2017
So logically when the buds get dense one should lower the humidity as much as possible, then, no?

Within reason, of course. But I think it's the part about moving fresh air through the buds that's most important. But it seems like - after a certain point - where density/size is concerned, one must sort of hope for the best, lol. I think, in general, when growing high-density (so to speak) strains, more smaller buds is a better way than buds that are fewer in number but larger. There is less distance (inside the bud) for any moisture to travel (I am probably wording that badly ;) ) - and if one does lose a bud to an issue, it is a much smaller percentage of the total harvest.

HighrThnMos

Not really. When I placed my buds in a jar I wasn't able to burp bcuz I work to much. I came home and noticed a little fuzz on some of my nugs. Instead of tossing it I just made some CCO and it came out good.

HighrThnMos

So your oil is full of fungal byproducts and spores. Sorry, but that's just gross and potentially unhealthy. [emoji14]

Chuck them funky buds and try again!
Not really. When I placed my buds in a jar I wasn't able to burp bcuz I work to much. I came home and noticed a little fuzz on some of my nugs. Instead of tossing it I just made some CCO and it came out good.

Scientific

Not to be argumentative, but "came out good" and "made from moldy buds" don't mesh for me. But enjoy! ;)

HigherTheHigh

went through all the buds again this morning to find no rot and there drying nicely at 21c rh 50-60%.
IMG_20170807_212000.jpg
IMG_20170807_212029.jpg
IMG_20170807_212052.jpg
IMG_20170807_212346.jpg
IMG_20170807_212920.jpg
IMG_20170807_212926.jpg
IMG_20170807_213624.jpg
IMG_20170808_101810.jpg
IMG_20170808_101823.jpg

Top Bottom