Help! Hydroponic DWC Seed to Rockwool

OK...so in a week or two (or more) when the plant has some roots developed and I transfer how far down do you keep it?

When you transplant do you cover it all with pebbles (roots and plant) or just the roots?

I have a 6" basket which is a good size but if the plant is so small and there are roots would it be best to cover it up with pebbles as it grows to the top of the basket? I wouldnt want the roots so far from the bottom making it harder to get to the water.

From what I was reading I should have the water level an inch or two below the root basket, and from what Jack420 has said (or i think he is trying to say) is to fill up with water until its half way up the basket? Maybe he is talking about the hydration pebbles..who knows haha

Its not hard to do ppl the more u think about it the more ul b bound to mess things up i dnt say i kno it all but im on 2 grow an things are running smooth

Not overthinking, it is very easy I agree, however for my 1st time I dont wanna have a issue with planting too low or too high. What steps do you take Jack?

Do you put a layer of pebbles then cover roots and stock leaving only the plant/leaves visible and add more pebbles as the plant grows higher in the basket?

Or do you just place a layer of pebbles and plant the girl and cover her all the way up and make her grow through the pebbles?

What i do with a baby plant after get the roots cleaned i put i would say one inch of pepples those need to b basicly under water then set ur plant n start placing ur hydroton carfully making shure u dnt hurt roots and placed in center as best u possibly can once u have done it. It can get tedious but just follow these easy steps in days u should c the roots showing just make shure u always have good oxegen rollin in ur water

I have 2 stones for my 5 gallon container and a pump that does about 40 gallons per hour so I think im good there for oxygen but I dont think much oxygen will reach if I fill the water up an inch or 2 over the pebbles. Been reading there needs to be air pocket there to help and people suggest 1-2 inches below the basket. The fine mist from the bubbles will be enough to keep everything moist and have oxygen.

Not doubting you at all, you'r info has been a good help, so thank you!

That's what I ended up doing after my plant was drowning and being stunted by rock wool. I don't think it was ideal, but it sure took off after I did it. I think you can use rock wool just fine, just be sure not to have it sopping wet, especially before the roots emerge from it.
Scientific's Hydro Dwarf Low Flyer 24/7 Illumination Fireplace Grow Journal - 2017
This guy went straight into hydroton and did great
2017-04-02_Day_13_1600_rockwoolectomy_004.JPG

Yeah I see what you mean there buddy!

I threw my rockwool out in the garbage last night before I planted the seed in the soil. Now to wait and see what happens :)

Alright it's been a few days before I messaged.

Seed was planted in soil and is now sprouted.

How long should I let this girl grow before removing her from soil to DWC

420-magazine-mobile1956831670.jpg

420-magazine-mobile416886696.jpg

Alright it's been a few days before I messaged.

Seed was planted in soil and is now sprouted.

How long should I let this girl grow before removing her from soil to DWC

I have an opinion on this one! The root of a seedling like that is usually about three times as long as the part that's above ground. That means that very quickly the tap root hits the bottom of the cup and starts to circle. That's not the end of the world, but it's not ideal, either. So I'd recommend getting your seedling out of that cup within a week or ten days or so it can send its roots down into your hydro reservoir and grow massive!

2017-06-06_Day_78_1500_079.JPG

I have an opinion on this one! The root of a seedling like that is usually about three times as long as the part that's above ground. That means that very quickly the tap root hits the bottom of the cup and starts to circle. That's not the end of the world, but it's not ideal, either. So I'd recommend getting your seedling out of that cup within a week or ten days or so it can send its roots down into your hydro reservoir and grow massive!

2017-06-06_Day_78_1500_079.JPG
Yeah baby that's what I'm after. Got the water pumping and the pebbles are soaking and being rinsed off.

Seed was planted 7 days ago today. I will move to the basket tonight.

Would you advise to leave a gap of space from water or just fill so much of the cup up with water u til she is much larger?

Thanks Scientific!!

Back
Top Bottom