Help! I was given five plants: how can I save them?

CosmicSisi

420 Member
Hi guys! I am a newbie grower.

I am still learning so much I have been lurking the shadows and doing research for more hours than I can count on my hands. I know some terminology and am willing to research anything anyone says that I do not know. Please bare with me here because I want to save these plants. So I was given these plants the other day from a friend and they look sad in comparison to everything I have been seeing in my research.

So I labeled them and if there is any advice on how I can save these plants. I would like to use them as mothers for cloning and then raising a clone to be a mother in replace of these. Keep in mind I am in the US so I would prefer any products that are available here. I have no idea what soil and fertilizer to use. I know these lights arent putting out a good amount of LED I do have a 1000w LED coming the mail as well as some fabric pots. Thank you in advance for any help! :lot-o-toke:

161643966_203906371508441_3636783122447379492_n.jpg

161382870_241349540837423_3027685414020078725_n.jpg

162057401_437452057328812_7447510435430342247_n.jpg

161000456_266768254929098_8295137059727128350_n.jpg

161968960_740592783312638_8783520086474316877_n.jpg

162570153_4474093429271510_4787951600787984999_n.jpg

Hi guys! I am a newbie grower.

I am still learning so much I have been lurking the shadows and doing research for more hours than I can count on my hands. I know some terminology and am willing to research anything anyone says that I do not know. Please bare with me here because I want to save these plants. So I was given these plants the other day from a friend and they look sad in comparison to everything I have been seeing in my research.

So I labeled them and if there is any advice on how I can save these plants. I would like to use them as mothers for cloning and then raising a clone to be a mother in replace of these. Keep in mind I am in the US so I would prefer any products that are available here. I have no idea what soil and fertilizer to use. I know these lights arent putting out a good amount of LED I do have a 1000w LED coming the mail as well as some fabric pots. Thank you in advance for any help! :lot-o-toke:

161643966_203906371508441_3636783122447379492_n.jpg

161382870_241349540837423_3027685414020078725_n.jpg

162057401_437452057328812_7447510435430342247_n.jpg

161000456_266768254929098_8295137059727128350_n.jpg

161968960_740592783312638_8783520086474316877_n.jpg

162570153_4474093429271510_4787951600787984999_n.jpg
Welcome to 420 my friend. Beautiful girls you have. One question are you sure they are all female? Were they clones or seeds?
Get some grow bags (fabric pots) and the best potting soil you can find, and repot them. Your going to need a room to set up your light/garden.
Do you have a room yet. Check out our sponsors. Lots of good deals on equipment. If you can get that far we can help with the rest when your ready.

Look like healthy plants and while there might be a few problems those issues can be worked around. Prepare for the future grows or gardening sessions now while learning from this one.

Those plants are lanky as in they have not been getting enough light so they have started to grow with a longer spacing in between the nodes. The new light can help with that.

It looks like several of those plants are flowering now or getting close to doing so. If you want to take cuttings and turn them into the new mother plants then now is the time to get going on that part of the project. Many people find it gets harder to get cuttings to root the longer the plant has been flowering.

I see that you already ordered some fabric pots. Do not forget to get the saucers to put those pots into. The bottoms of those fabric pots will get damp and the carpeting will not react well to that. You could just go to a local grow or hydro shop or even a neighborhood gardening shop for supplies.

Being partial to using real soils then my recommendations include some of the already mixed and bagged soils from Fox Farm. Those should be a good starting point. A bit of research will help at this point. Fox Farms has 13 different bagged soil mixes and some of the other companies are right behind them with large selections. The easy answer is to get bags of their Ocean Forest. Some of the regulars on this message board might not agree but that is my suggestion because it is simple and time is running short.

Seems like more than one of the regulars have used Fox Farm Ocean Forest to get their plants through to harvest. They can make recommendations as the best fertilizers to get and how much and when to use them.

Make notes. You would be surprised at the number of people who go to buy supplies and then forget what they are supposed to buy and end up with the wrong thing. Naturally they blame the people at the store or the website. But they bought the wrong stuff because they were not prepared and have to blame someone.

It is morning here, the lights in the vegatation area have been on for two hours and the lights in the flowering tent came on 5 minutes ago. Gotta go take a look just to be reassured that all is going well.

Enjoy the day.

Hi @CosmicSisi ! Quite a project you have taken on there. I really like the advice you have gotten so far and I would like to add a very easy to use and hard to make a mistake with, nutrient. Check my threads for a discount code, and get some @GeoFlora Nutrients. Ordering it directly from their website seems to be the cheapest way to go, if you spend at least $50 to get free shipping. This stuff is great! It gives you a true organic grow (the best way to go) and the hassle factor is down to zero on this stuff.. you only have to apply it to the top of the soil once every 2 weeks, and in between you simply water... and even tap water is ok. Ph and all the other nonsense that others have to mess with is not a worry... plain unadjusted tap water will work fine and you will get a superb grow with this stuff. Organic growing allows the plant to determine what it needs and there is no guesswork on your part.

It looks as your plants are in the preflower and flower stage. I would try to get a couple clones started right away from the plants that show the least flower. You will want a dedicated area that can be closed off and not show any light for 12 hours of the day When turned to the final flower stage. your clones and flower plants will need separate areas due to their light requirements. I personally use “EB Stones Edna’s Organic potting soil” that is available on the west coast in the states. I would also suggest a simple 1 part nutrient such as Botanicare Pure Blend Grow for veg and the Pure Blend Bloom for flower. There will be lots of suggestions but for me this is a very simple and effective way to get your roots wet as you start your journey with the magical mystique cannabis plant. Good luck.

Hey Cosmic, I’m expanding on what Nev already stated.... The ones that are in flower must have at least 12 hours of pitch black darkness every night, that means no light coming in from under the door, or even indicator lights such as power strips, fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, heaters etc. If the dark period is interrupted then the plants can go hermie or they can reveg - neither of which is good.

welcome aboard!

hi @CosmicSisi w ffof soil i like it. amended w Geoflora during flower, if height is any issue lightly pinch back each top. personally I'd transplant to five or seven gallon even if first week of 12/12. If an option keep the light dialed down the first few days and slowly bring it up over a few weeks, that's a whole lot of juice to lay on them right away. slow n gentle keeps the shock away. Also if mother plants i like to transplant at an almost horizontal angle sometimes to generate s bunch of clone sites and eventually colas. Congrats on the plants very nice gift! Going to be awesome.
20210108_171110.jpg

Look like healthy plants and while there might be a few problems those issues can be worked around. Prepare for the future grows or gardening sessions now while learning from this one.

Those plants are lanky as in they have not been getting enough light so they have started to grow with a longer spacing in between the nodes. The new light can help with that.

It looks like several of those plants are flowering now or getting close to doing so. If you want to take cuttings and turn them into the new mother plants then now is the time to get going on that part of the project. Many people find it gets harder to get cuttings to root the longer the plant has been flowering.

I see that you already ordered some fabric pots. Do not forget to get the saucers to put those pots into. The bottoms of those fabric pots will get damp and the carpeting will not react well to that. You could just go to a local grow or hydro shop or even a neighborhood gardening shop for supplies.

Being partial to using real soils then my recommendations include some of the already mixed and bagged soils from Fox Farm. Those should be a good starting point. A bit of research will help at this point. Fox Farms has 13 different bagged soil mixes and some of the other companies are right behind them with large selections. The easy answer is to get bags of their Ocean Forest. Some of the regulars on this message board might not agree but that is my suggestion because it is simple and time is running short.

Seems like more than one of the regulars have used Fox Farm Ocean Forest to get their plants through to harvest. They can make recommendations as the best fertilizers to get and how much and when to use them.

Make notes. You would be surprised at the number of people who go to buy supplies and then forget what they are supposed to buy and end up with the wrong thing. Naturally they blame the people at the store or the website. But they bought the wrong stuff because they were not prepared and have to blame someone.

It is morning here, the lights in the vegatation area have been on for two hours and the lights in the flowering tent came on 5 minutes ago. Gotta go take a look just to be reassured that all is going well.

Enjoy the day.
Thank you so much for all the advice you have given me I am wondering though if I start cutting clones the plants will have very little on it? Would it be safe to cut the plant in half essentially topping it but taking about a foot off and let it re grow into a stronger plant and take my clones from the top part of the plant. I do not want to kill them so I am just worried about it not having enough leaves to continue growing. What is the best option for going into cloning the plants.

It looks as your plants are in the preflower and flower stage. I would try to get a couple clones started right away from the plants that show the least flower. You will want a dedicated area that can be closed off and not show any light for 12 hours of the day When turned to the final flower stage. your clones and flower plants will need separate areas due to their light requirements. I personally use “EB Stones Edna’s Organic potting soil” that is available on the west coast in the states. I would also suggest a simple 1 part nutrient such as Botanicare Pure Blend Grow for veg and the Pure Blend Bloom for flower. There will be lots of suggestions but for me this is a very simple and effective way to get your roots wet as you start your journey with the magical mystique cannabis plant. Good luck.
Thank you so much for all the advice you have given me I am wondering though if I start cutting clones the plants will have very little on it? Would it be safe to cut the plant in half essentially topping it but taking about a foot off and let it re grow into a stronger plant and take my clones from the top part of the plant. I do not want to kill them so I am just worried about it not having enough leaves to continue growing. What is the best option for going into cloning the plants.

How much room do you have to grow? You will Need 2 separate areas for your clones and vegging and one for your flower room. I can’t see from here that you would need more then 3 or 4 clones to get started. It looks as you may have a tray with maybe some starts trying to get going in a couple pics. If that is the case you have them under a plant that is in flower and requires a different light schedule then the clones. I would like to know what you have for your grow room or tent to really move on to the next step to get some plants growing in good health for you. Also what are you running for a light or lights for your clones? A little more information from you can go a long ways in helping people give you the best options and make it an enjoyable and fun experience.

How much room do you have to grow? You will Need 2 separate areas for your clones and vegging and one for your flower room. I can’t see from here that you would need more then 3 or 4 clones to get started. It looks as you may have a tray with maybe some starts trying to get going in a couple pics. If that is the case you have them under a plant that is in flower and requires a different light schedule then the clones. I would like to know what you have for your grow room or tent to really move on to the next step to get some plants growing in good health for you. Also what are you running for a light or lights for your clones? A little more information from you can go a long ways in helping people give you the best options and make it an enjoyable and fun experience.
Of Course. I have them under 113 W (two 40 W long ones and a 33 W Bulb). Which I know is not nearly enough for five plants. So I ordered a 1000 W to go into a grow tent 96"x48"x72" I am ordering that is going to be for the clones. Right now I am using my closet because I found out I was getting the plants the day I got them. So I would like to get ten clones from each plant but I don't think that is possible. I do have a clear plastic tote I am going to put the clones in there and then slowly add ventilation. As far as the plants that are starting to flower I wanted to see if I could reverse it or hold it off as long as possible in order to get a few clones off it. I have had one clone in the past that I was able to manipulate to grow how I wanted but with these they are already so tall I would say about 4-5 feet besides one which is much smaller. I would like to purchase another tent so that I can have a flowering stage. I have a huge living room just no extra bedrooms at the moment or I would use that and not my closet.

Well with your lights as of now I would suggest you probably start by working on getting some clones going. I can see plugs were used to start one of the plants you have. Do you have any supplies to get clones started? You will really want some rooting compound. I used Clonex gel and always had good success with it. Do you have a local hydroponic or garden center in your area?

Valid point but it can be done. Plant #1 is far enough into flower that it might not be worth it. But the others show promise.

Plants #2, 3 and 4 are the ones to try it on. The remaining nodes on the stems you take a cutting from should show new growth in a few days. You can take cuttings from the top and from the bottom part of the plant. It will shorten the plants if taken from the top, and it will elevate if taken from the bottom. Plus most growers seem to cut out all the stems and leaves from below the bulk of the canopy anyway so why not make use of that.

If they root then success. If they do not root at least you tried and hopefully ended up with inspiration for another time.

Hi @CosmicSisi ! Quite a project you have taken on there. I really like the advice you have gotten so far and I would like to add a very easy to use and hard to make a mistake with, nutrient. Check my threads for a discount code, and get some @GeoFlora Nutrients. Ordering it directly from their website seems to be the cheapest way to go, if you spend at least $50 to get free shipping. This stuff is great! It gives you a true organic grow (the best way to go) and the hassle factor is down to zero on this stuff.. you only have to apply it to the top of the soil once every 2 weeks, and in between you simply water... and even tap water is ok. Ph and all the other nonsense that others have to mess with is not a worry... plain unadjusted tap water will work fine and you will get a superb grow with this stuff. Organic growing allows the plant to determine what it needs and there is no guesswork on your part.
Hi Emilya, Sorry to butt in on someone else's thread, couldn't find this info anywhere else tho so...
I was looking into the Geoflora Nutrients, so I tracked down your discount code. However, when I go to their website, it doesn't seem like they actually sell their product to the public, but instead have retail partners they point to. I guess my question is, how does that work with the discount if its going thru another company? Does the code work at those places as well ? I also do not see a way to get the sample size product. Thanks, and sorry again if I am rude.

Hi Emilya, Sorry to butt in on someone else's thread, couldn't find this info anywhere else tho so...
I was looking into the Geoflora Nutrients, so I tracked down your discount code. However, when I go to their website, it doesn't seem like they actually sell their product to the public, but instead have retail partners they point to. I guess my question is, how does that work with the discount if its going thru another company? Does the code work at those places as well ? I also do not see a way to get the sample size product. Thanks, and sorry again if I am rude.
It seems to work very well, even though you go to the GeoPot website to pay for the GeoFlora product. I suspect that even though it looks like two companies they are only that on paper and are actually two sides of the same coin. I don't know if this is the case, but it makes sense and I suspected nothing odd about doing things this way, since at checkout, there was my discount, perfectly figured using my Geoflora discount code. The sample size might have been an introductory offer that is no longer available.

It seems to work very well, even though you go to the GeoPot website to pay for the GeoFlora product. I suspect that even though it looks like two companies they are only that on paper and are actually two sides of the same coin. I don't know if this is the case, but it makes sense and I suspected nothing odd about doing things this way, since at checkout, there was my discount, perfectly figured using my Geoflora discount code. The sample size might have been an introductory offer that is no longer available.
Thank you <3

Back
Top Bottom