Help in getting started for Grower Virgin

You're getting a lot of good advice,

I would suggest buying from @SeedsMan - they are a great sponsor here with great prices - we've done the math, and honestly - quality seeds are your best friend!

Seeds and lights - hugely critical to the success of your grow!

I suggest just sticking with the autos - and run them at 20-4 lighting the whole way through.

If you throw in a photo, then you have to flip to 12-12 and the autos will hate that.

You could even wind up with different harvest dates - and in the UK - you want to dry and cure in the tent to maintain your stealth!

10 x 3 gallons or 5 x 5 gallons - either works - but decide before you get your seeds of course.

I use Vivosun nonwoven fabric pots - and Geopots is a sponsor here and have great products.

Plant your seeds directly into the soil in the final pots - no need for paper towel or uppotting.

You might be able to a bunch of stuff from your local horticulture store too - pots, soil etc.

Great job on the questions - and we love your organization skills!

Let's go shopping:

seedsman.png
please advise me on the soil I should use BUT that I can also buy here in the UK???
ALSO.... on Amazon I've seen the compressed blocks of coco. Is this an alternative to soil and is it any good??? pls help???? I've got/chosen my seeds, lighting, set-up and pots..... now I just need to find out what they're gonna be planted/living in and if I need to feed/nutes them?

My Mother brought me into this world at a very early age....her's, that is, and we'd sit there in the evenings as she confessed her trials and tribulations...like which tights suited the length of her mini-skirt, was John nicer than Paul or should she prefer George the quiet one? She worried me a bit.
Nutes....(sharp intake of breath!) No nutes for awhile yet. Let your girls get to their first bra stage at least.
Amazon (
even sharper intake and a shudder!) ....Due to risk of litigation I'll stay silent.

I don't think you want coco as an alternative for soil on the first grow and with autos. As @Stunned stated, you have to feed everytime because there are no nutrients. I use it mixed with my soil. I use fire fox ocean forest. That has enough nutrients in it to get things rolling but eventually you have to start feeding. Best of luck! I'll follow along if you dont mind

Hey @EagaBeavaGal - you are making excellent progress!!!

your right I was asking about the woven or non-woven fabric pots? lol xxx Thanks for your response. Do you use them for autos? As I've been advised to go with woven???

I use these fabric pots:

fabricpots.png

please advise me on the soil I should use BUT that I can also buy here in the UK???
ALSO.... on Amazon I've seen the compressed blocks of coco. Is this an alternative to soil and is it any good??? pls help???? I've got/chosen my seeds, lighting, set-up and pots..... now I just need to find out what they're gonna be planted/living in and if I need to feed/nutes them?

I'm thinking if you hop into a hydroponics store in your city, you should be able to get some soil and some fabric pots.

I notice you've got a lot of info coming at you quick - so if you feel confused - that's normal :)

I grow in soil and in coco. I started with soil, so for a new grower I will always recommend soil - I found it's more forgiving and a good bag of soil will last you the entire grow.

It's common knowledge here that @Emilya is a soil and watering guru - so send lots of love her way - start following her journal - and ask her questions there too - she is extremely helpful and one of the best cannabis technical writers I've followed. I can already tell from page one you gals are gonna hit it off.

I suggest you get a soil grow under your belt - focus primarily on how the plant grows - and then step into coco.

But if you choose coco for whatever reason - good for you - there are lots of expert coco growers here that will help.

As long as you understand that we are simply here to give you information - that we're never going to pressure you or tell you what to do. You will make all the choices that you are comfortable with and that fit your personal style.

Here's the best part - no matter what you choose - just be assured - people here will work hard to see you succeed!

PS: If you haven't gotten in touch with a UK grower by tomorrow, then we'll round up someone and ask them to contact you. Making friends here is very easy :)

I don't think you want coco as an alternative for soil on the first grow and with autos. As @Stunned stated, you have to feed everytime because there are no nutrients. I use it mixed with my soil. I use fire fox ocean forest. That has enough nutrients in it to get things rolling but eventually you have to start feeding. Best of luck! I'll follow along if you dont mind
yes by all means.... I appreciate all the help I can get also it's helpful to have a range of advice and experience. Thank you.

Hey Eagabeavergal.
Welcome, I've read through your post and you have some great people lending advice.
I'm no expert (just finishing first grow) but I can possibly help with what you have available to you in the UK.
First is the bad news, no mega crop for us guys (unless you want to pay silly shipping)
You have tons of good soils available either b&q, Amazon or your local grow shop.
I use Canna terra pro and I know Biobizz light mix is readily available.
I buy my seeds through the vault who are also a sit sponsor here, they arrive within a few days and so far all seeds I've bought have germinated ;) .
It's so exciting getting set up ready for your first grow, with the help available here I'm sure you will have a great crop :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom