Help! Is this a Phosphorous Deficiency?

hyper-piper

What Strain is it? Jamaican
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Not sure think its Hybrid.
How Many Plants? 292
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flowering
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? 5 weeks 5/7 days (almost 6 weeks)
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Promix hp
If Soil... What Size Pot? Large continous beds (3150 ltrs of soil) 5x5 feet per light with 1x5 foot between.
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1000w 7 lights
Is it Air Cooled? 6 ton AC cooled
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 82-84 day / 72-74 night
RH of Room/Cabinet? 50-60%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6 - 6.4 for soil. 5.7 - 5.8 for runoff.
Any Pests? None yet
How Often are you Watering? Every 2 to 3 days (35-45 gallons)
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Gen Hydro / Aussie / Massive / Carbo. 1300 - 1500 PPM per feed.
Size or Square Footage of Room? 300 sq ft.

Problem:

Upper leaves yellowing, dying and dead tips curling upward. Most of the new upper leaves dying off, some of the side branches also starting to yellow. Small leaves around buds still green and growing.

Plants leaves haven't really recovered from what I thought was an Iron or Sulfur deficiency during week 4. Getting near week 6 of 8 and things progressively getting worse.

Basing off of the 'Plant Abuse Chart' and the cool thread to solve pests and problems it appears to be a Phosphorous deficiency but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone know what these plants are deficient on or I am correct and its Phosphorous?

deficiency_1.jpg

deficiency_2.jpg

deficiency3.jpg

History:

Had some problems with Magnesium defs during week 2 where Epsom salts and Calmag foliar sprays greened things up. Then had some more yellowing of the newer growth during week 4 which I thought was an Iron or Sulfur deficiency. where again Epsom and Calmag helped a litle but only in the short term as things are getting worse. Pictures of the previous problem are in the following thread.

Please help identify / solve this deficiency. Iron or Sulfur or ?

That still looks like classic Mg deficiency. The new growth is not as affected as the older leaves and the die back of the leaves is text book low Mg. An excess of Ca can interfere with Mg absorption. Almost all the other deficiencies affect the growing tips first. It doesn't seem to be a phosphorus def. Possible K def or excess as too much causes lock-out of Mg, Mn and possibly Zn and Fe. Excess P can do the same. A complete flush with a light dose of balanced nutes might be the wisest course of action.

I hope that was some help.

:peace:

Still Mg you think. Wow figured all the Calmag and Epsom salts would have fixed that up. Only thing I can do is keep spraying them with Epsom salts as they are in large soil beds and can't be flushed. Giving them lots of balanced feedings but this darn problem slowly eating them away. Weird thing is some areas are perfectly fine while others are really getting hit hard. I'll keep giving them the epsom salts every few days and hope they slow down. Anyone else with suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, if you can't flush then I would just give them water for a couple of times and let them eat up any excess nutes to see if that helps. Other than that I don't really have any other ideas.

Good luck with it eh. :peace:

Yeah that may work also. Oh so difficult to figure out what they need. Never ran into any problems with deficiencies until I redid my room and got rid of the old soil which was going good for nearly 3 years. Because I was so blessed with perfect soil I'm so lost with this stuff. Thanks for the input though - much appreciated!

After going through my grow bible it still looks like low Mg but if they're not responding to added Mg then the only other thing has got to be a lock-out IMO. Doing less is often better than complicating things by throwing solutions at an unknown problem. If they're not fed for a cycle ot two they'll either start getting better or get worse. It's no wonder doctors get diagnoses wrong so often. People are way more complex than plants. At least if a plant dies your not getting sued for malpractice. lol.

Nitrogen is pretty good still but next week will be cutting out the GH Grow.

I use the following in each feed that contains Nitrogen

350ml of GH Micro which is 5-0-1
150ml of GH Grow which is 2-1-6
1 Litre Massive with doesn't have a N-P-K ratio but says 1.2%

also add GH Bloom and Aussie but they don't contain Nitrogen.

I have been spraying with Calmag every few days and that also contains Nitrogen. It did seem to green things up for awhile (back in week 2 to 3) but doesn't seem to affect anything.. well atleast that I can notice.

Wondering if I should go with just foliar feedings until the end if things are locking up in the soil. Soil has never failed me before - seems I'm just cursed.. hope Karma hasn't caught up with me!

WOW, defiantly let us know how it goes, I an in the same boat, the pictures look like they came of my plants!!

I am now flushing, and Im in hydro, so two days of flushing and Ill re-nute them, I did find out that from day one I was screwing up my nuteing by mixing all my nutes t0ogether in a bowl and then adding to the resi...never knew about cal-mag'ing first to 200ppm then adding the other nutes!!

Oh well, live and learn!!

According to your numbers you are very low on phosphorus. Its fairly late in the grow so the damage is probably not reversable at this point. You might go the hardware store and pickup some Morbloom and see if the added phosphorus will help.

1300-1500 PPM is pretty high in soil I would say. I haven't been growing for a long time but I have nute burned plants feeding with 1000 PPM of Fox Farm Nutes in mid flower and that is with two 200 PPM waterings of Cal Mag in between each feeding. I would cut the nutes in half and feed every 2-3 waterings with low amounts of PPM of some type of Cal Mag supplement removing any run-off. Now that I think about it, do you have some way to remove run-off, I just realized you are growing in beds and that can accumulate alot of nutes and waste from the plant if there is no way of removing run-off. That might be your major problem...? Specially if your medium is very dense, sorry if you mentioned the runoff part earlier, I'm at work so I have to sneak..... lol.

P.S.
Watch out for the foliar feeding in flower, ok for the first few weeks but can cause bud rot, and try to do it in the dark period with plenty of time before lights on because it can cause light burn.

hey i have litte blckish brown spots the size of pin dotes can you help?
we have talked befor an you seem to kow your stuff so i thought id ask you.
i had bites got rid of them after a 6 mounth fight.
now my one an only baby is not doing so well.
the leves are to small an my camra phone is to crappy to snape a pic i tryed tho.

After going through my grow bible it still looks like low Mg but if they're not responding to added Mg then the only other thing has got to be a lock-out IMO. Doing less is often better than complicating things by throwing solutions at an unknown problem. If they're not fed for a cycle ot two they'll either start getting better or get worse. It's no wonder doctors get diagnoses wrong so often. People are way more complex than plants. At least if a plant dies your not getting sued for malpractice. lol.

I agree 100% w LR. That looks to me like a slow case of lockout. Something (no real need to figure out what) is locking out something else. The cure for that is almost always a flush then medium strength well balanced nutes. You said you can't flush. I would do the plain water thing as LR suggested OR a very very very very low ppm nutes and water actually has the same effect as a flush many times.

my plants are doing this as well and i am in 4 weeks of flowering with Apollo Mist. i am using a bloom that has 50% phos and i am still adding very little grow for the micro nutes

The thread is 4 years old but seems to confirm my suspicions about the problem(s?) I'm having. I wish the fuckers who ask these questions would come back with how the advice worked, dammit!
Deficiency_Epiphany_Bud_0503140317a1.jpg

I found out what me problem was and if anyone has the same issues then the first thing to check is if you are over watering ? make sure you let the medium dry out completely before watering. trust me it will stop this issue.

Back
Top Bottom