Help! Is this potassium deficiency?

I thought the runoff would be higher unless the plant got 0 nutrients in the soil, and that would definitely cause nutrient deficiency or?

depending on the age and quality of the soil,yes you are correct.That why I said,His run off was not out of line.just I like to have even numbers,Its always something to watch.
All the soil I have used,what I pour in,is what comes out. If its off alot,then a flush is in order,and a 1/4 Nutrient serving is given.

What is low PPM? and what is high PPM?

thats a loaded,question my man,it will all depend on the species of plant,I have had some take 2500ppm in the last few weeks of life....but as a general,I like to keep them low---6-800max in veg,and 1000-1200 max in flower.stronger the lights,more food they will take.

I cant stress enough to get a proper working ph pen,what you may think is 6.5 could be 6.0 and will lead to locking out nutrient uptake.

Im going to go and read up about your nutrients.:high-five:

my bad i saw those post lol.

i think your question is what is considered low ppm of the water u begin with ?

the water i begin with is considered low ppm . it starts out at 17ppm , that's considered low . so i add 5ml a gl
im not sure but i think the pmm raises to 400 ppm . i will check it tonight when i feed . so dont quote me on the last number lol. but i think the answer is (yes) with a starting ppm like yours i would start with 2ml cal-mag and then work up from there .

Watered yesterday and tested my new PH meter, the runoff tested at 5.8! The liquid tests I have been using must have been waaay off. That could be the reason for cal mag def?

2planthlpr.gif

Pictures from today
20141011_155208.jpg

20141011_155150.jpg

20141011_155053.jpg

20141011_155027.jpg

20141011_155013.jpg

glad you have a pen,what kind did you get??did you calibrate it with 7.0-4.0 solutions?? dont drop it or let the probe dry out.

Ive used the test strips and liquid testers for years outside.and I still have trouble using them.how you store them,and the quality of paper is not always good..

you list your soil as ---soil with perilite---is this correct??did you just top dress with the hydroton??

if it is SOIL,and your pen is correct.you will need to flush with about 3 times your container size,pure phd water set at 6.5.DONT just firehose them and drop 5 gallons on them,give a bit till the soil is saturated,then you can pour through,
on the last pour through,put nutrients in at about 1/4-1/2 a serving,allow to fully dry,and carry on with next feeding as schedualed
flushing with a pot this size would be about 30 minutes...

Remember,these leaves will Never be green again,and depending on how big you will grow them,all of this will be cut off before flowering time.plants grow from the top up,not pushing upward from the root mass..

keep us updated

its how we all learn,by making mistakes.

I am ocd with the ph pens,It seems to get worse as I age.I firmly believe it is the best weapon in the toolbox.

as soon as you get your pen situation settled,and you are confident it is working.

take a starting water ph,then add first nutrient--rinse pen--take readings--add second nutrient--rinse pen--take readings-all the way throught your nutrient regiment,,--write it all down,keep a log everytime you do it,then after a while you will know what it should be givin the same nutrients,and you will be able to tell if the pen is losing calibration or not.

I dont know your wallet,but bluelab makes a great pen for about 80 bucks and comes with a great warranty,3-5 years,I think.
I use a nutra-dip tri meter,but I have boxes of pocket pens.I would have been way farther ahead if I would have spent more wisely in the beginning.

Now I have orderd

Canna Mono MgO 7% Magnesium Sulphate 1L - Hydrogarden
Canna Mono Ca15% Calcium 1L - Hydrogarden

and for the ph and ec meter

pH 7.0 Kalibreringsvätska 300ml - Hydrogarden
Ec 1.413 Kalibreringsvätska 300ml - Hydrogarden
Rengöringsvätska pH/Ec mätare 300ml - Hydrogarden
pH Förvaringsvätska 300ml - Hydrogarden

My little setup 2x2 tent, nutes + + + has now come up to 1200 bucks.. haha, now im a bit sad :(
I didnt think it would be so expensive :p Lets just hope my fiance dont find out hehe.

cost in the beginning is a hassle for most,but the time spent and the learning is priceless.

not sure where you are at,but 12 bones is a ton.and just tell her you spent it on therapy,at least its what I tell my wife,the plants give it to me.

why the top dressing of hydroton??they do collect salts,for a top dressing in soil,for me,I use perilite

oh shit....did you wash the hydroton???? before use?

Living in Norway. I mix standard potting soil and perlite. The clay balls on top is so the water spreads and so the leaves don't touch wet soil. I had the plant tied down before. Also got a layer in the bottom for drainage. I washed it all before I used it.

its how we all learn,by making mistakes.

I am ocd with the ph pens,It seems to get worse as I age.I firmly believe it is the best weapon in the toolbox.

as soon as you get your pen situation settled,and you are confident it is working.

take a starting water ph,then add first nutrient--rinse pen--take readings--add second nutrient--rinse pen--take readings-all the way throught your nutrient regiment,,--write it all down,keep a log everytime you do it,then after a while you will know what it should be givin the same nutrients,and you will be able to tell if the pen is losing calibration or not.

I dont know your wallet,but bluelab makes a great pen for about 80 bucks and comes with a great warranty,3-5 years,I think.
I use a nutra-dip tri meter,but I have boxes of pocket pens.I would have been way farther ahead if I would have spent more wisely in the beginning.

i agree the ph pen is my most important tool.. u can have all the best nutes on the market and if your ph is off it wont mater what u put in the plant cant use them .

glad you have a pen,what kind did you get??did you calibrate it with 7.0-4.0 solutions?? dont drop it or let the probe dry out.

Ive used the test strips and liquid testers for years outside.and I still have trouble using them.how you store them,and the quality of paper is not always good..

you list your soil as ---soil with perilite---is this correct??did you just top dress with the hydroton??

if it is SOIL,and your pen is correct.you will need to flush with about 3 times your container size,pure phd water set at 6.5.DONT just firehose them and drop 5 gallons on them,give a bit till the soil is saturated,then you can pour through,
on the last pour through,put nutrients in at about 1/4-1/2 a serving,allow to fully dry,and carry on with next feeding as schedualed
flushing with a pot this size would be about 30 minutes...

Remember,these leaves will Never be green again,and depending on how big you will grow them,all of this will be cut off before flowering time.plants grow from the top up,not pushing upward from the root mass..

keep us updated

I'm starting now :)

I have watered them now, but the runoff keeps on coming out at 5,9-6,1 on my plants. Could the reason be that I have watered with way to low PH for a long time? Since I only used a liquid tester. Or could it be my organic nutrients from Biobizz?

It could be any number of reasons. The chemical reactions occurring in your soil really make it too hard to tell. If you're getting ~6.0 out the bottom, you're not too far off. You might try putting it in at 7 next time instead of 6.5.

I have now flused more and the runoff still says 6ish, but I also tested the runoff that came while it stood in the tent, that runoff tested 6,5-6,7 :S
Should I measure the runoff that comes straight away or the one that comes after 10-15min? My bottom tray isnt large enough to take it all.

I'll let someone with more experience chime in. I've tested runoff in the past, but it's not been a normal function of mine for a long time and I may not be as precise with my knowledge and experience as growers that do it all the time.

In the past, I put my pot in a larger container (i.e. plastic tub) and run the water thru. Then I tested the runoff that collected in the tub after I felt most of it had run thru. This may not be the exact proper way... it's just what I did.

Really... a flush with 7.0 doesn't bring up your PH? I'd think it would be.
Strange.
Perhaps you're running into nutrient build-up. Can you dig down somewhere in your pot without disturbing the roots and see if you have a lot of white powder-ish salt build up down there? You'll have to wait for it to dry quite a bit. I don't think you could see the salt build up on really wet soil.
Curious.
I'm sure someone with more experience testing runoff will chime in shortly.

Back
Top Bottom