Help - Leaves are cupping

jeff leep

hello all,

i am having bit of a problem with my plants, they seem to be cupping, the cupping is coming from new growth and seems to have started happening after i transplanted into bigger pots. i Thought at first it was from the heat and to close to the lights, so i raised all the lights and a couple weeks later it has now seemed to have gotten worse.

r7ssbd.jpg

if more photos and info is needed please let me know, as this is my first time running into a problem while growing.

Yes Ph is alwasy checked before watering, i like to keep it at 6.3.
humidity is between 50-60%,
Lights are brand new bulbs and Balances so i thought that could be a issue with the heat but i corrected that when i rasied the lights. they are a good 3 feet from the light.
and this is happening to almost all my plants.
do you check ph ?
feeding
humidity
lights ect ...
just one plant

might be just a little stress from the transplant , should sort its self out not the worst looking

I would start off by saying your light is too close to the plant. Are you running 16/8?From what i can see you have probably way too much perlite per plant, which isn`t so bad, but it could be an issue with your Nutes.. Are you using cal/mag? what nutes are you using and how often are you watering? Don`t over water, thats a huge mistake....I`m sure everything will turn out alright..

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gather here. :welcome:

My first reaction to your photo would be to suggest early stages of some nutrient toxicity. I suspect nitrogen toxicity the most. I think I see some slight yellowing on the tips of even some of the larger (older) fan leaves on most of the plants in the photo.

Can you tell us a little about any nutrients your using and perhaps about your soil as well. There can be such a fine line between providing enough, in the right quantities, and too much of one thing or another.

You mention having raised the lights to 3 feet or so, but perhaps tell us a little about your lights as well. I think there are many that would like to try to help, but making educated/experienced suggestions would be aided by more information.

Be well and happy growing!

thanks for the reply Sej, but the lights are sitting up 3 Plus feet? im curenting running 24 hours, i plan on putting them to sleep this week and running a 16/8. i used Cal/Mag on my last feed witch was only about 7 days ago. im using advance right now but i know its not that this is not my first rodeo but this is the first time this is happening.

I would start off by saying your light is too close to the plant. Are you running 16/8?From what i can see you have probably way too much perlite per plant, which isn`t so bad, but it could be an issue with your Nutes.. Are you using cal/mag? what nutes are you using and how often are you watering? Don`t over water, thats a huge mistake....I`m sure everything will turn out alright..

thanks for the warm welcome, there was alot of some type of deficiency on the older leafs but i have since removed those leafs and added cal/mag about 7 days ago, im using advance nutrients and PRO MIX soil. Sun Light supply Vertizontal Reflector with 1000 watt light bulbs,
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gather here. :welcome:

My first reaction to your photo would be to suggest early stages of some nutrient toxicity. I suspect nitrogen toxicity the most. I think I see some slight yellowing on the tips of even some of the larger (older) fan leaves on most of the plants in the photo.

Can you tell us a little about any nutrients your using and perhaps about your soil as well. There can be such a fine line between providing enough, in the right quantities, and too much of one thing or another.

You mention having raised the lights to 3 feet or so, but perhaps tell us a little about your lights as well. I think there are many that would like to try to help, but making educated/experienced suggestions would be aided by more information.

Be well and happy growing!

i am using 20 Gallon pots so the water is holding up for about ten days and honestly i just pick up the pot and if i feel they are light in weight i water them? they are still in a Veg state so once i flip them that is when everything is on a timed schedule, i think you are right about the watering, i think i will let these dry out a lil longer before i water again.
how often do you water... and how do you determine that it is time to water? I suspect that you are watering too often and that the cupping is caused by the plants trying to increase surface area and throw off as much of the pooled water at the bottom as they can. This is the first response to an extended flood.

that makes sense then and explains all the symptoms. may i suggest that in the next cycle, about every 6 or 7 days, give a small amount of water to just water the top feeder roots, but not enough to soak the entire container. This two or even three stage method will keep the upper roots active while the lower roots work on the water table, and it gives you additional opportunities to give nutrients in a way that will be effective and will increase overall metabolism of the plant.

sounds good, i will apply this method for sure. thanks alot, il keep you guys posted on the progress.
that makes sense then and explains all the symptoms. may i suggest that in the next cycle, about every 6 or 7 days, give a small amount of water to just water the top feeder roots, but not enough to soak the entire container. This two or even three stage method will keep the upper roots active while the lower roots work on the water table, and it gives you additional opportunities to give nutrients in a way that will be effective and will increase overall metabolism of the plant.

Back
Top Bottom