Help me bring these girls full term!

Aaron Quix

Hey out there, i'm 20 weeks into my first grow. Got a great deal of the know how by reading threads and asking a few Q's here n there. Quick background...Got around 30 good NL seeds out of an accidentally pollinated batch from my dispensary, and veged two of the four i germed. Gave the other two to a friend who is also a patient. Anyway, veged for 12 weeks with no topping, LSTing, FIMing or anything else, just a simple grow to get the basics down. So far I've done pretty well with what I had,(I'm aware of how shitty the MG is, as well as how I veged for too long) but coming into the 9th week of flower Im getting a little nervous, as this seems to be the time when it can all go bad with no ability to fix it. Heres the basic info, and pics to follow...

What Strain is it?-Northern Lights#?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Not sure
How Many Plants? 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flower-8 weeks since 12/12, 7 wks since any major pistil development...
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil,
If Soil... What is in your Mix? 1/3 MG, 1/3 perlite, 1/3 sphag moss
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 gal.
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?4 T-12 florescent tubes x 4 + 125 actual watt 64K vitalume CFL by sunleaves , and 8 23-40w reg CFLs as supplementaL
Is it Air Cooled? Kinda, see pics
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Mid 70s at night, but up to 92 during lights on
RH of Room/Cabinet?35-50 at highest
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Water tests low, around 5.5-6.5, runoff says same
Any Pests? Had black gnats for a brief period during veg, now under control
How often are you Watering? When they get dry
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Used MG tomato during veg, +Superthrive and Great White mycorrhizae. For flower Used Superthrive, MagiCal, and FF TigerBloom, Just switched to plain water and molasses, only fed with molasses once
Size or Square Footage of Room? 2x2 footprintx6' high...

P3140001.JPG

P3140002.JPG

Re: Help me bring these girls full term!!

Hey out there, i'm 20 weeks into my first grow. Got a great deal of the know how by reading threads and asking a few Q's here n there. Quick background...Got around 30 good NL seeds out of an accidentally pollinated batch from my dispensary, and veged two of the four i germed. Gave the other two to a friend who is also a patient. Anyway, veged for 12 weeks with no topping, LSTing, FIMing or anything else, just a simple grow to get the basics down. So far I've done pretty well with what I had,(I'm aware of how shitty the MG is, as well as how I veged for too long) but coming into the 9th week of flower Im getting a little nervous, as this seems to be the time when it can all go bad with no ability to fix it. Heres the basic info, and pics to follow...

What Strain is it?-Northern Lights#?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Not sure
How Many Plants? 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flower-8 weeks since 12/12, 7 wks since any major pistil development...
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil,
If Soil... What is in your Mix? 1/3 MG, 1/3 perlite, 1/3 sphag moss
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 gal.
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?4 T-12 florescent tubes x 4 + 125 actual watt 64K vitalume CFL by sunleaves , and 8 23-40w reg CFLs as supplementaL
Is it Air Cooled? Kinda, see pics
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Mid 70s at night, but up to 92 during lights on
RH of Room/Cabinet?35-50 at highest
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Water tests low, around 5.5-6.5, runoff says same
Any Pests? Had black gnats for a brief period during veg, now under control
How often are you Watering? When they get dry
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Used MG tomato during veg, +Superthrive and Great White mycorrhizae. For flower Used Superthrive, MagiCal, and FF TigerBloom, Just switched to plain water and molasses, only fed with molasses once
Size or Square Footage of Room? 2x2 footprintx6' high...

P3140001.JPG

P3140002.JPG

Basically I'v just started to develop this purplish spotting on the leaves of one plant, while the other has the more common yellowing and dying off of leaves. The yellowing on the one plant is normal as far as I know, but the other plant isnt doing that at all, but rather curling up and getting slightly crispy. I dont think the girls are ready to chop yet, trichs are still sround 95% clear and cloudy, 5 amber. Im worried theres something wrong because its coming on so quickly....Any thoughts, opinions or help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm too close to lose em, they're freakin heavy for the footprint IMHO...I Have more pics in my galery, and even more to resize n upload if you need to see more...Thanks and happy growing...:thanks::peacetwo:

Hi Quix! First of all, congratulations, you're about to have a whole bunch of your own home grown meds. Nice!

I'm not a soil grower, I grow in hydro, but I think you'll be okay. I've never had the purple spots, so I'm hoping someone can help you with that

Again, I'm not a soil grower, but I would say the key things to watch out for now are RH% (keep it below 50% if you can and you should be fine), and temps/watering.

Your temps are a bit higher than ideal, but as you've seen they can survive those temps alright if you give them a bit of love. The yellowing leaves are normal for this stage, and I'm thinking you'll be okay there. From what I can see, you'll have a really nice harvest and some great meds.

Maybe a soil grower can weigh in on your nutrients for this stage as well as the purpling. Just wanted to let you know that you should be in pretty good shape to harvest in a couple of weeks or so, and I think you'll be fine. Awesome buds, btw - there is a benefit to all of that veg time - you'll have that much bigger buds!! I'm giving you +rep for the effort and impending success. :)

Hi Quix! First of all, congratulations, you're about to have a whole bunch of your own home grown meds. Nice!

I'm not a soil grower, I grow in hydro, but I think you'll be okay. I've never had the purple spots, so I'm hoping someone can help you with that

Again, I'm not a soil grower, but I would say the key things to watch out for now are RH% (keep it below 50% if you can and you should be fine), and temps/watering.

Your temps are a bit higher than ideal, but as you've seen they can survive those temps alright if you give them a bit of love. The yellowing leaves are normal for this stage, and I'm thinking you'll be okay there. From what I can see, you'll have a really nice harvest and some great meds.

Maybe a soil grower can weigh in on your nutrients for this stage as well as the purpling. Just wanted to let you know that you should be in pretty good shape to harvest in a couple of weeks or so, and I think you'll be fine. Awesome buds, btw - there is a benefit to all of that veg time - you'll have that much bigger buds!! I'm giving you +rep for the effort and impending success. :)

Hey xl, Really appreciate the kind words, Ive seen ya around a few journals ive been reading my way through for the last few months, nice ta meet ya. I really wish I'd done a journal on this, there WAS plenty of time with all that veging!!:rofl: But theres not much for others to go on, nothing to reference back to...but like you say, Im pretty close to harvest. I do have a 30x loupe,and the trichs are gettin there, just not Im trying to achieve quite yet. I Just tried a tester that's dried for 3 or 4 days, and half a day in a jar and Im actually quite pleased. About a week or two, but Im thinking all my leaves will be cardboard in two weeks. Thas why Im hoping someone can tell me why one of the girls looks like shes dying off naturally, on all lower branches, but with leaves on her top cola turning a whitish...and the other plant has no yellowing, but her leaves everywhere are curling up, or cupping, and developing purple spots and getting really crispy....sorry to ramble, guess the tester was leaning toward sativa! Anyway thanks again for the kind words AnD the reps my friend, I'll see ya 'round...:peacetwo:

have you seen any gnats flying around??

Hey retcby, well, I had a very small gnat problem for a short time during veg, but for the most part they never got too bad. Every now and then I'll see one, but its close to two weeks now since I can remember seeing one.(And believe me, Im neck deep in the plants for at least an hour out of every day id have seen them if they were still there...Unless they're under the soil feeding on my roots...uh oh... Little black ones they were...nothing comes flying out when the soil is disturbed, or watered sssoooooo?

have you seen any gnats flying around??

Oh and thanks for stopping in by the way...didnt mean to be rude, just tested the plant I call #2 and forgot!!

I don't know what those spots are. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I like to chop with about 10% amber. I know a lot of guys like to wait a little longer but it all comes down to personal preference for the smoke.

With 5% amber, personally I wouldn't wait longer than another week, maybe 10 days max. I would start giving them straight water now and if you notice something else happening, I would just chop them. Just my 2 cents.

my last plant, at about 7 wks into flower, the leaves all started dying off real fast and the buds stopped growing and all the pistils turned brown. I thought it might be root bound in a 3L pot so I chopped it and when i pulled it out of the dirt the roots were almost non existant......bad root bugs! and I saw very few gnats during the grow.

I don't know what those spots are. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I like to chop with about 10% amber. I know a lot of guys like to wait a little longer but it all comes down to personal preference for the smoke.

With 5% amber, personally I wouldn't wait longer than another week, maybe 10 days max. I would start giving them straight water now and if you notice something else happening, I would just chop them. Just my 2 cents.

Hey HempRocket! I've seen you around a bunch too thanks stopin through! Its funny because after two more hits off the tester, I was thinking to myself that same thing...if it gets any worse, screw it they're pretty ready imo! And yeah, a week tops, I want to chop on a weekend as i dont have the time on work nights. I'm not super concerned about it any more but i would REALLY like to know what the cause is so I can avoid it on the next grow, if it is indeed a problem...Take care bro...

I have read where low phosphorous can create purple spots/veins on leaves of tomatoes, never seen it on Mary Jane, she usually looks so good in purple... LOL

I'm all out of time for looking for a solution to help. I am sure you will find the answer... luckily you are close to harvest so, you should and will have some smoke regardless.

If you figure it out for sure Quixilvir, please post the results in here so we all can learn!

Peace out ya'll... the Captain of Kronicness

I'm with Hemp - I don't know how much of the 95% is cloudy vs. clear - but I sometimes have a lot of cloudy, and only a little amber, and I love how they turn out. You're in a good spot, because worst case scenario you chop and your in like Flynn right where you're at.

my last plant, at about 7 wks into flower, the leaves all started dying off real fast and the buds stopped growing and all the pistils turned brown. I thought it might be root bound in a 3L pot so I chopped it and when i pulled it out of the dirt the roots were almost non existant......bad root bugs! and I saw very few gnats during the grow.

Hmmm....Not the most encouraging thing to contemplate!! Thats a bummer man...I guess when I chop we'll find out huh!? Its too late into flower to do anything about root bugs I suppose, but the damage is a little worse today, I may cut em down tonight...

I'm with Hemp - I don't know how much of the 95% is cloudy vs. clear - but I sometimes have a lot of cloudy, and only a little amber, and I love how they turn out. You're in a good spot, because worst case scenario you chop and your in like Flynn right where you're at.

I agree...The damage is looking a little worse today, so I'm virtually standing over the damn things thinking "Go ahead, give me a reason!" My only regret right now would be that they are still exploding with growth at the tops of a lot of the nuggs, and there are so few amber trichs. I just dont want to cut too early and deprive them(and myself) of their full potential!! Im going to try another tester uuummm, right now actually, and Ill decide if its really time or not...

So, I suppose I could live with the quality of the high, but another reason I thought of not to chop is that theyve only had one nute free watering, and one watering with molasses, and three days ago I noticed some mold in the soil so I drenched with Actinovate, a fungicide...I reallty wanted to water as many times as possible with clean water to flush them, and produce a better tasting smoke....Decisions decisions....

...So the quality of the high is good i suppose, but another reason I didnt want to chop yet, is that they've only had one watering with no nutes recently, one with just molasses about 5 days ago, and 3 days ago i noticed some mold growingin the soil of one of the girls. So I drenched with a half gallon containing Actinovate, a fungicide..I really wanted to get them nice and flushed to produce a better smoke. Decisions decisions....

So after much thought I decided to take down the plant with the purple spots, And I'll do her sister either this weekend, or sometime in the next week. I think the first will yeild close to two oz. dry, maybe a little more. Her sister is bigger and should be a little heavier than the first. All in all its goin to be a learning experience, and good practice for my next grow. I'll be sure to do a journal for that one, It should be interesting trying to do 4 plants in a 2x2 space...Thanks for all of you who chimed in, and took time to look for an answer to my Q's...Hope to see you guys around when I get the journal going....

What was the end result of your grow. What kind of yield did you get and how is the smoke?

Hey Hemp, thanks for stopping back by, and for asking! I guess you could say I did ok...Still have a lot of learning to do, and some bugs to work out. I chopped the one I call #1 about a week and a half ago because of the obvious reasons, and the one I call#2 last weekend. My combined total was @2.5 Zs the last time I weighed, which was last tuesday I think? But I know I'll lose a few more before the cure is through. I gotta say that i really can tell the difference that just a few days can make, with regard to the high anyway. #1 goes straight to the eyballs if you know what i mean, with a very racy head AND body high. This due to the slightly early chop I beleive. Whereas #2, is a really comfy melo high, perfect for relaxing, yet not much couch-lock, which is awesome to me, very functional high still. the budz are a bit airy, and that will be one of my main focuses in my upcoming journal. The smoking experience is pleasant, pretty smooth if I do say so. That is one of my biggest things with this, If it doesnt smoke well, what's the point!? So quality first, density next, then yeild, are my priorities, in that order. All in all I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, but I know it will be better next time. Here's a few shots of the haul...
P3180028.JPG

P3180027.JPG
P3150022.JPG
P3150019.JPG

I REALLY like this shot...
P3150021.JPG

P3150016.JPG

P3150014.JPG
P3180025.JPG

The before pic of one of the girls...

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/P3150009.JPG

Any way, just got back from the hydro store. Picked up a bag of FFOF(Was tor.n between that or the Happy Frog) and a new cheapy PH meter (15 bucks). Got perlite too. I'll probably have a journal up by the end of next week, I plan to start germin a couple bagseed and a couple more NL. Thanks again for stopping by!

Back
Top Bottom