Help! My leaves are curling!

earlygrow

It is my first time growing and everything was going good but then the leaves started to curl inward. It just dosn't look good. Not really sure what is wrong. I just transplanted 3 days ago to a larger pot. I'm running 1000watts of Compact Fluros and three fans. Some of the leaves feel dry to me. I've added some photos. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
P3200354.JPG

P3200353.JPG

P3200355.JPG

P3200356.JPG

P3200357.JPG

i've had this happen before. in my case it was due to a low humidity and high nute buildup in the soil. plants "breathe" through their leaves to intake co2 AND pull nutrients up thru their roots. if your humidity is too low and your temps are too high, the plant shuts down, curls up its leaves and stops growing. SO- flush,flush,flush, drop yer temps, and increase your humidity levels to at least 60% with a good air flow in and out. i use an infrared thermometer i got at home depot to monitor leaf surface temps. if a leafs stoma are open and transpiring, its surface temp will be below air temp

Looks like high heat, fan burn (are u using an oscillator?) You also may have either nute burn or deficiency but it is hard to tell anything there is so much going on there. You also have a purple stem, which is another indicator I forget of what though. My plants sometimes droop like that when they need water, cant say for sure on yours. What size pot? They could also be root bound. There is a lot of distance between nodes how much light are you using at what distance? What are your temps high / low?

To answer all of the questions. It shouldn't be root bound I just translanted and it didn't look very rooty on the bottom. It is pretty warm in the room where they are. I walk in and feel the heat (don't know the exact temp). I have been using 300watt compact flourecents and they put off some heat. The lights are about 5 inches from the top of the plant. I'm using 1000watts total. No osillator but I try to keep the fans blowing away from the plant just to move the air around. I do have three of them for one plant. I have been watering when it is dry. When it is was in a smaller pot it was getting water every few days as it was drying out. I would feed it just a little bit when I water. If I need to flush, how much? It is in a pretty large pot (1.5 gal?). What is a good way to increase my humidity? I appreciate all of the advice hopefully I can save the plant. Thanks

You don't have a thermometer?

If you don't have a thermometer does that also mean you don't have a Ph meter? If you just transplanted that could be the problem. The soils Ph could be off and now has lockout issues.

Go to the dollar store and get a POS outdoor thermometer. You don't need anything fancy to tell your temp.

It looks very spindly for its height, take a shot back further of your setup with a yardstick. You desperately need some meters, pH and Temp / Hygro for sure. One fan should do, but get an oscillating fan. You can flush with pure water, filtered is recommended because chlorine is bad, and if your local WA uses chrloramine that does not dissipate over time. Something is way wrong you should have more branches by now it seems you only have fan leaves. Standard flush is clear water with 2x the capacity of the pot, don't add it all at once. Also you have not mentioned how old the plant is and is it from seed or a clone, what strain of plant? What kind of soil? What nutes have you added how much and how often? Someone like HempRocket knows 400x what I know so pay more attention to him than me, I'm a newbie too but it seems I have maybe read a little more.

Okay so I'm trying to get educated. I got a thermometer and a ph meter. The temp is now 68-70 since I cut out a fan and aimed one at the lights to cool things off. The ph near the roots is low 4ish in the old dirt (pre-transplant). The ph near the edges in the new dirt (Fox Farm) is much more balanced (6.5-7). I've been doing some reading about raising the ph by useing pulverized dolomite lime. I'm thinking of a plan of attack to help the situation is to get the lime, put it in the top 2 inches and flush. What do you more experienced growers think? I want to get the hang of this.

You need to run some ph'ed water through the pot to get that way low(ph of 4) up. That was deffenitly one of your problems. Ph some tap water to between 6.5-6.9 and flush it good. After the flush mix up some new Ph'ed water and run it through the pot and this time test the ph of the runoff. You want the ph to be high 6's.

Hope this helps

yes, use a gloved hand, place the lime on top and mix it in the soil down to the point you feel roots, do not disturb the roots. 1/4 cup per gallon of pot size will do. They have it at home depot for 6$ for a 5lb bag. "Espoma Garden Lime" If your pH was 4 that's seriously fucked, how are you testing? Hoe old is this plant? Alot of the questions we are asking are going unanswered, go through the posts and respond to all the q's

I got one of those stick in the soil ph testers. I know it is not the best. I just wanted to get an idea of the ph. I'm getting a better one today to test the run off. I have the drops ph tester from balancing the water will that work to test the run off? I got the plant as a clone it was about a foot high when I got it which was 2 weeks ago. I will get a pic up of the setup a little later today. The soil I transplanted into is Fox Farm Original Planting mix. I don't know what soil came with the clone. Thanks

I got one of those stick in the soil ph testers. I know it is not the best. I just wanted to get an idea of the ph. I'm getting a better one today to test the run off. I have the drops ph tester from balancing the water will that work to test the run off? I got the plant as a clone it was about a foot high when I got it which was 2 weeks ago. I will get a pic up of the setup a little later today. The soil I transplanted into is Fox Farm Original Planting mix. I don't know what soil came with the clone. Thanks

I have a rapitist soil ph/moister meters that you stick in the soil and the ph always reads 7.5. Ive been testing my runoff with the test drop kit and it seems to be around 6.5-7.0. Moister meter seems to work ok. I also know a couple of people who have the same meter and they say the same thing, the ph readings never move. Im a total noob but it seems your best bet is to test the runoff.

The probe pH testers and the drops are very inaccurate. You're better off buying an inexpensive pH pen-type tester on Ebay. I bought mine for about $10 with 2 calibration solutions. I calibrate (or at least double check) my meter once a week. I don't have to adjust it very much. Just a thought.

looks like nute burn to me, try lowering the concentration of nutes, i mean for example - if you mix 2ml of nutes with 1l water try lowering the dosage to 1ml per litre water and see how they go

So I flushed the plant a couple of days ago and got the ph up to a more reasonable 6.5. It has been a couple of days and I'm getting some new growth!!! I'm stoked. I removed the old dead leaves and now need to just wait for the new growth. Hopefully I'm out of the woods. I would like to thank everyone for the help.

Hey bud. Sorry it took me a while to get here. You should post some pics up when you get a minute or two. Id like to see how the flush worked out..
From talking to you earlier, about not having the bushy growth that you wanted, and to shorten her down to get ready to get the clones coming your way, read a little about super cropping and LST, and even topping. DOnt do all of them at once!! Try one, wait for it to recover, and try another. Or repeat the same one.. Decide which is right for you, depending on stalk strength, lower plants growth with the new growth your getting etc etc...

For future reference. This site is an AMAZING source of info. Here is a link to a page that Is an invaluable guide..
Whats wrong with my plant?!

But i definitely have to ask again. What kind of fertilizer have you given her?
Ph is definitely an issue. But there is some nitrogen issues as well. Im not too sure i would jump to conclusions about a nute burn just yet though..
Stop by Fairtrade gardens. Awesome organic shop in town and pic up some basic basic growth, and bloom ferts. You dont need to grab the complicated micronutes and bacteria and boosters and all that jibber jabber. Just get some basic grow and bloom nutes. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid

Anyway, as you said you have some new growth ater the flush, but i still would like to see some more pictures of the plant now?

Back
Top Bottom