Help! My roots are all growing out of a single strand - Any way to fix this?

SFields1618

Has ANYONE seen this problem before? I've done a ton of research, and have never heard of anything like this. It's definitely not root rot or anything like that.

u9Xo9aN.jpg
u9M5Vge.jpg
s1Vf2QW.jpg
kVi8Xtv.jpg
hxfeZ66.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this? I thought the roots were supposed to look more like a mop coming out of the net pot. Roots branching out all over the place, thicker at the top than at the bottom. I've done everything right as far as I know. pH 6, followed the nutrient chart for aggressive vegetative growth, have a 600 watt metal halide light with a cooling fan, etc.

Has ANYONE seen this problem before? I've done a ton of research, and have never heard of anything like this. It's definitely not root rot or anything like that.

Please click the link, since I'm retarded and don't know how to post pictures on here:

Root problem? Help? Even after over a month, the roots are refusing to grow in numbers. - Album on Imgur

Does anyone know how to fix this? I thought the roots were supposed to look more like a mop coming out of the net pot. Roots branching out all over the place, thicker at the top than at the bottom. I've done everything right as far as I know. pH 6, followed the nutrient chart for aggressive vegetative growth, have a 600 watt metal halide light with a cooling fan, etc.
Email nute mfg talk to them. Send them pics. They have peeps that can help. Sorry I can't help.

Gauge

What is your ppm?

What is your rez temp?

Why do you have the foil over your hydroton?

Have you grown with your setup before?

I would recommend getting some z7 water treatment and removing the foil to let the head of the roots get some air.

At one time I was using all of those same nutes your using.

I ended up giving up the Hydrogurad and using z7 instead.

Hydrograud does help. But for me z7 works much better and does more things then Hydroguard.

Just looking at the pics it looks like your rez temp and ppm may be high.

I run more of a true DWC setup with just an airstone in my rez and not with tubes running into my baskets.

I can see no need for them. To me they are doing more harm then good. If that was my setup I would take all of the tubes out and just run an airstone.

But that is just how I do things. I try to keep it clean and simple.

What is your ppm?

What is your rez temp?

Why do you have the foil over your hydroton?

Have you grown with your setup before?

I would recommend getting some z7 water treatment and removing the foil to let the head of the roots get some air.

At one time I was using all of those same nutes your using.

I ended up giving up the Hydrogurad and using z7 instead.

Hydrograud does help. But for me z7 works much better and does more things then Hydroguard.

Just looking at the pics it looks like your rez temp and ppm may be high.

I run more of a true DWC setup with just an airstone in my rez and not with tubes running into my baskets.

I can see no need for them. To me they are doing more harm then good. If that was my setup I would take all of the tubes out and just run an airstone.

But that is just how I do things. I try to keep it clean and simple.

ppm of the water before added nutrients was 225.
I'm not sure what the res temp is but I think it's between 66 and 70. I can't check on it today, but it's in a cool basement.
The foil is there because algae began to grow, and the easiest way to kill them was to cut out their light.
This is my first grow ever, with any setup.

Email who? Is that a username? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with how this website works. Makes me feel old haha
I think you are using General Hydroponics. Email the company. They can look at your setup and suggest changes. I imagine their customer support deals with these things daily and won't mind helping you.
Personally I am a simple airstone bubble bucket guy.

Gauge

I have been growing DWC for many years now. I never have any algae grow on the top of my hydroton. Because the top of my hydroton remains dry at all times.

I think those tubes are keeping the hydroton to wet.

I can see a big scum line in your tub.

The z7 should take care of the scum.

It is the ppm after you add the nutes that really matters.

Right now you should keep your ppm/nutes low until you take care of the issue at hand.

If it was me I would take all the tubes out and take the foil off and then get some z7 and mix it into a clean rez and pour some of the mix over your hydroton and then let the plants roots come down into the water by themselves.

I have been growing DWC for many years now. I never have any algae grow on the top of my hydroton. Because the top of my hydroton remains dry at all times.

I think those tubs are keeping the hydroton to wet.

I can see a big scum line in your tub.

The z7 should take care of the scum.

It is the ppm after you add the nutes that really matters.

Right now you should keep your ppm/nutes low until you take care of the issue at hand.

If it was me I would take all the tubes out and take the foil off and then get some z7 and mix it into a clean rez and pour some of the mix over your hydroton and then let the plants roots come down into the water by themselves.

It isn't scum, it's a mosquito dunk.

Thanks for the advice. I'll record the ppm then lower all the nutrients. I'm worried that the roots won't grow without the water feed, because I can only stop by to care for them once every few days. I don't know how else they would get the nutrients that they need.

The roots will seek the water. Once one little root touches the water there is no need at all for those tubes.

To me those tubes are what has started all of your issues. They are ok for a few days before the roots hit the water. But after that they are not letting the plant grow the way it wants to. It does not need water at the head of the roots and the water level should be 2" below the bottom of the baskets. The plants take in air in from the roots in the water and from the very tops of the roots.

At times I will go away for three or four days and I have never lost a plant while I was away.

I also would not put mosquito dunk in my rez. Who knows what that could be doing to them and your nute mix.

Instead you could get a cheap bug zapper for about $20. They work great in a small space.

One more tip for you.

Most new growers over love their plants to the point that they kill them.

It is best to keep it simple and let the plant do it's thing. They know what they need and in time you will learn to read what they are saying they need.

If you can't see them daily. Then I would not buy anymore GH nutes. They will work fine. But they take much more work to keep in the right ph zone. There is not much buffer in them.

I moved from them to Botanicare Kind it has a lot of ph buffer it and will hold my ph steady for many days. It is very rare for me to use any ph up or down any more.

Back
Top Bottom