Help needed! leaves are losing their colour

Unwins

I have been growing my plant for almost 6 weeks from seed and have just changed from a 16/8 cycle to a 12/12 5 days ago. When i did this change i also changed my lights. This was from a 125W eco bulb to a 250W hps. The light is between 1 and 1.5 feet away from the top of my plant. Ever since i changed the lights a lot of my leaves started to lose their colour (turn a really pale green/white) and the ends of some of them have been burnt pretty badly. I havn't used any nutes in a week or 2 because i noticed i was getting slight nute burn a while back. My temprature is around 85/90 during light and then 65 or more when dark. Any questions or anything i have forgot to cover just leave a comment. Thanks in advance.

photo_3_4_1.JPG
photo_3_3_2.JPG
photo_2_4_.JPG
photo_2_3_2.JPG
photo_1_3_3.JPG
photo_1_2_14.JPG
photo238.JPG

Re: help needed!! leaves are losing their colour

I aint real sure but my geuss is heat stress:peace:

Mmm

Got a funny feeling thats a zinc defeciency (last pic) at a late stage of developement as its effected the entire plant... only seen this a couple of times & pretty rare defeciency.

I would certianly like a 2nd opinion on the defeciency at hand tho as i am only feeling 70% sure on the matter... could be a touch of magnesium/iron also...

Have a look at this link - Some plant deficiencies

May be sorted out with nutrient feed which contains all the trace micro nutrients !

Oh ye your temps are tad to high, really want that under 80f - air cooled reflector is an option & inline extraction fan.

The pH is 7 and has stayed pretty constant through out the whole grow. The humidity usually stays between 35 and 50 but sometimes goes over 50 at night. I do have an online extractor fan with a carbon filter but that doesn't seem to cool it down much. When I first put the 250w in I had my tent closed and the extractor fan on it's higher setting and the room became far too hot (95+) so I've had to place my circulatory fan facing between the light and the plant with the tent door open so that it's blowing most of the hot air out but it can still be pushing on 90 on hot days. Oh and finally the nutes I was using when vegging was something called "bio-grow" (and it smelt like marmite) from biobizz and it was 4.0-3.0-6.0 (NPK). I only used it once a week for the first 5 weeks and I also used one serving of epsom salts because someone said I may of had a slight magnesium deficiency but it didn't seem to do much. I've got some other stuff from biobizz called bio-bloom which is 2-6-3.5; should I use some of this now I'm budding? I havnt yet because I don't want to burn it to death from too many nutes. One last thing is how long does it normally take to see the buds developing after you go to a 12/12 cycle? I'm growing OG Kush if that helps. Thanks for the help tho and I'll defenately look into the zinc problem.

Just in case extraction fan/filter needs to be placed at top of the tent... hot air rise's after all and a passive vent should be open at base of tent - if tent has one ?

Bio grow and bio bloom both can used together.

Normally plants will show sex with in 5 to 10 days once put into 12/12 flowering cycle, i believe the adverse temperatures plus the defeciency problem may well be retarding the on set of flowering slightly.

I forgot to mention that i am a fan of biobizz nutrients myself, i would look into bio heaven (trace micro nutrients) and top max (bloom enhancer) as a suggestion of good will to plant health :peace:

P.s its really hard to get nutrient burn with organic nutrients :thumb: only suffered with nitrogen toxicity once by accidentally over dose e.g to much nitrogen... lol

Yeah I made sure it was at the top of the tent and yeah it had vents all around the bottom. How do you think I'll be able to sort out the heat problem? Because soon I'm going to have to have my tent closed to keep in the smell. Cheers for all the help man, it's hugely appretiated!!

Yeah I made sure it was at the top of the tent and yeah it had vents all around the bottom. How do you think I'll be able to sort out the heat problem? Because soon I'm going to have to have my tent closed to keep in the smell. Cheers for all the help man, it's hugely appretiated!!

To help control some of the heat issues on a passive basis is... if not already done ?

Lights on at night time when ambient temperature are cooler, this will have an over all effect of growing room temps :peace:

Yeah I thought about doing that but I was unsure how to approach it. Do I giv it an extra 12 hours or light or 12 hours of dark? I also didn't fully understand that biobizz graph. When using 2 different supplements at the same time do I half the dosage of each one so it's as if I'm giving it one portion of a mixed formular? Or do I just use the stated amount? I don't want to over feed my plant and kill it. Finally I'm going to buy some zinc supplement and see if that treats the problem, I'll let you know if it works too if you want? Thanks for the advise tho, it's helped a lot!

your plants may have got nute burn before but there hungry now and ineed of a feedinng, i'd give them 1ml per liter of the bio grow and if nothing changes up it to 2ml, then just before they stop stretching change the nute mix to 1ml grow 3ml bloom per liter...

Ps

yes that is a Mg def but should clear up once you start feeding properly

In My Opinion as a Novice grower, I would look at the cause of the "over neuts" and not the remidy's.
Pointless trying to fix it, if you fixing the wrong thing.
First of all, and ""why the hell don't everyone say this"", if you getting problems with the leaves and plant, it will be almost always due to over or under feeding of the plant, give the plants a bloody flush with normal, non neuted water to clean the crap out for a day, then start again, with a total clean fresh treatment of neuts, and this time GET THE PH RIGHT, in some mediums like hydro, 7 PH blocks out some neuts, so that is why more of the others neuts are taken in, therefore giving the false impression that you are over feeding, NO,NO,NO, lower the PH, then you will be cool, hey, I know, I had to do exactly the same this week (even I will conquer this lol)
With the heat, well, it really is a very simple one, and again, ""why has no one else said it,"" "TURN THE BLOODY HUMIDITY UP" god dam it, I am soooooo fuming, why the hell did someone not help me like this, grrrrrrrr, (had a smoke pmsl), ok, if the humidity is low, then the heat can travel faster, therefore making the temps to hot, putting more Humidity in the air slows it down, so making it cooler (I have 2 x 55 watt cfl's in a 1000 x 1000 mm tent and I getting 32 c at 50 humidity, (I am just starting my first CO2 with a cylinder) put it to 70 Humidity, same place, I get 24 c, thats a massive difference, and its all down to transference, infact, all growing is, is the ability to alter the transference of atoms (see we are all scientest). (better slow down on this "makes you a scientiset weed lol)

FX Grower

^^
I think me and Fd have said whats needed to help get the OP plants back on track, also if you read the Unwins post properly you'll see he's been feeding the plants just water for roughly the last 2wks. so theres know need for him to flush them NOW!!!

Secondly Unwins is using organic nutes and it would be best not to pH imo because a quality premixed soil/compost will buffer its self. Anyway what you said about RH might be true but if you put your HUMIDITY UP in late flower, Pm and mold problems will probably become a problem...

Ps

Did you know is pointless using co2 unless your growing in a sealed room...

I've fed her now with some biogrow so I hope that makes a difference. Also I'm only at the end of the first week of the 12/12 cycle so I don't think changing the humidity would cause a problem so how would I go about doing that? I have tried putting a jug of water in the tent but I didn't notice any effect. Also what are people views on pruning? I know it's too late for me to do any now but when I looked online before there were very mixed views so I just left it in the end. But I think I may have too many sites where the buds grow if that's possible (but tbh what would I know, this is my first grow haha). And once again thank you for the help!! :)

Hi Unwins, get a humidifyer of the internet, maybe £20 or $30, will drop your temp by 5c if you put the humidity up to 60% (this is fine if you got good circulation, I don't see anywhere that you have an inlet fan?, also, a fan top and bottom of the tent, with the flaps closed, will drop the temp by 1-2c just by putting the humid air at the top of the tent to the bottom, if the worst comes to the worst, put air conditioning in the room outside the tent, and draw in the cold air when you do your air change, although I would think yours is going all the time as the heat is so high.
I know you have to be careful with mold but IMO, better to have good circulation and 60% humidity, than the plants being to hot, getting heat stress and then getting lock-out, lock-in, like we have now.
Dean, wasn't trying to prove you wrong, just saying it how I see it and my advise is advise, and not law and i wish people would have said it to me, instead of me doing a thousand and one things to alter the problem to some other problem in the past. I have a sealed tent (my first grow with CO2) but have tried most other methods of growing, and I have had every major problem you can imagine, mostly on purpose to see what would happen, rather than accidently, and all the mis haps in the past have paid fruitful, last week I neglected the neuts, it went to 6.9, and I got Magnesium (Mg) deficiency symtoms on one of the 7 plants.
What do I do, add more Mg? its already in the tank!!!! I need to drop the PH, so the plant can then uptake the Mg in the existing water. Just flush, change the water, start again, because like Fuzzy Duck states, he is 70% certain what the problem is, but not definate, so 3 out of ten times it will be wrong advise, "Simples" 10 out of 10 is to flush, the plant will not die from having no neuts in the water, but 3 of the 10 others will, by adding the wrong solution. I also know that soil will collect certain neuts more than others, and this can also be a hidden cause, so again, flush, clean it all out and start again.
Because I am now growing with CO2, every problem is magnifyed, so there isn't much time to be adding a bit of this, or a bit of that to try and solve the problem, a water change and flush is quickest IMO. But i would also be interested in your advice on Growing with CO2, i have read a lot on here but it is a bit conflicting, so I suppose I will learn again by my mistakes, as I said, my first one.

(p.s) the picture before last has rounded up leaves and brown tips, Magnesium (Mg) deficiency symtoms according to the charts on this site, yet we all giving different advice lol

Okay I'll use some Epsom salts, it's 1ml/1L right? And I have to lower the pH for it to be absorbed dont I? What's the best thing for lowering the pH? And I didnt flush the plant earlier before I fed it because I hadnt used any nutes for a while but do you still think I should? And if I did then can I feed it immediately after? Sorry about all the questions, but everyone has to start somewhere. And no I don't have an intake fan, just an outake with filter. But I would invest in one along side a humidifier straight away but I'm a bit skint at the moment so I can't :( oh and finally, do you use nuts for everytime you water? Or is it once a week or every other feed etc?

Hey Unwins (I stoned so do not take any notice of what I say) You must have an intake fan, they will make your crop grow better, (FFS, I don't HAVE ONE, BUT THEN I JUST A TALKER PMSL), TO LOWER THE ph, I JUST USE THE SOLUTION FROM THE hydro SHOP, COST A FEW quid, yes, I am UK lol. For the intake fan, that is the life for the plant, unless you are doing CO2 like me, then you need an intake fan to give your babies the CO2 they need

FX Grower

Passive intakes work fine if your outtake is strong enough and if you run your lights at night there'll be more co2 available in the air...

get some pH down from your local hydro or pet/fish shop, if youn feel the need to drop your water pH. 6.5/7.0 is a good range to aim for. I like to give nutes with ever feed...

Back
Top Bottom