Help needed with different growing methods?

Whats your favourite method of growing?

• DWC (Deep Water Culture)

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • NFT (Nutrient Film Technique)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Wick System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ebb & Flow (Flood & Drain)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Drip (Recovery Technique)

• Drip (Non-Recovery Technique)

• Aeroponics

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Dase

Hi everyone! I'm looking to learn more about the different methods of growing.
I'm more looking for what the EC/PPM levels and the watering regimes should be for them all?
I've read around :reading420magazine: but can't find anyone that clearly explains them all.
Any help for me? :idea:

For hydro growing is all about personal preference,how much time/money you have to invest,strain,growing conditions, your experience as a grower.As you can see theres a lot to think about. This is just my advice. Pick a system you feel Comfortable with. Grow some tomatoes so you will have a general ideal of what it takes to grow useing a hydro system. Why tomatoes you ask? Tomatoes grow very closely to how MJ grows not the same but close.

Im really looking for what EC/PPM (if PPM, the brand of meter would be helpful
for the correct conversion to EC) people have found has worked best in their method of growing.
Also what feeding regime has equalled the best harvest?
There is alot of talk about what people do, but not alot of talk about what works the best and how well it works?
I know it is dependent on alot of varying factors but hit me up with what strain you grew and what EC/PPM
and watering regime you found equalled the best harvest :grinjoint:

I use the hanna combo ec/tds/ph meter #h198129 , its waterproof and easy to use , as far as your other questions there are a lot of variables to be considered with the many types of growing methods , you would need to be more specific with your questions ................................ Smokr1

I wasn't asking what meter to use haha! Maybe we should all (including myself) put the
bong/joint/vape/pipe down and read my attempted re-wording of my original
question :reading420magazine: lol

I am looking for what EC/PPM levels (at cutting, growth and flower stages)
and what watering regime people have been using in what method of growing
and on what strains for what yields?

Does that make any better sense? Hope so cause I think I even confused
myself with that last paragraph haha!

Here's an example of what im looking for. I grew strain here in method here
with the EC at EC level here in cutting stage, EC level here in growth and EC level here in flower
with a watering regime of watering regime here and that got me yield size here at harvest.

PS. I was only asking the brands of meter if someone gave me a reading in PPM so I can convert it correctly as all different meters have different conversions, in case you didnt know smokr1. Hannahs conversions 0.5, Eutech are 0.64 and Truncheon are 0.7

oh i know , im out here doin it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your question is all about personal preference , i stayed low in the beginning 300 - 400 ppm ( ppm is what most people use) and gradually raised it throughout the veg cycle and ended up around 900 ppm when i turned them over to 12/12 and continued to raise it to around 1300 ppm which is where im at rite now and i have 1-2 weeks to finish , some people go way higher up to 1800 ppm , i personally like to stay conservative with nutes but thats my preference its something you got to figure out on your own with your system , lights , nutes , strain ,,,,,,,,,, remember , its all just an experiment ............................ SMOKR1:goodluck:

Hannahs conversions 0.5, Eutech are 0.64 and Truncheon are 0.7

I knew about the .5 and .7; I did not know about the .64. Thank you.

( ppm is what most people use)

But, perhaps, we shouldn't be. I have been thinking about this and an EC meter displays electrical conductivity - which is dependent upon the (nutrient) salt content of the solution. A TDS meter that displays in parts per million measures EC also, but then uses a conversion-factor to produce "parts per million."

But again, it is only measuring the EC of the sample. Not everything within the solution affects the electrical conductivity - for example, organic (non-salt) compounds do not, yet still they add to the actual parts per million within it.

IOW, the EC meter (assuming it is properly calibrated) will always display the correct (actual EC) reading, a TDS meter reading in PPM cannot make this claim.

Just something to think about. I find myself pondering these things from time to time. I suppose this means that I really need to get a life.

Sorry to have interrupted your poll, Dase. If it helps, I voted in it, lol. By the omission of the various soil methods, I assume that you are going with some form of hydroponic method. Good luck to you in your grows. One thing that I have observed (both by reading others' journals and personally) is that hydroponics gives the grower lots of opportunities to "tinker." The urge to do so constantly can be... difficult to overcome, but it is wise to do so.

As far as nutrient strengths, I believe that many regimens are listed in these growing forums and they do seem to be an excellent starting point. As far as specifics go, I cannot be of help as my records are stored in a distant location. But it is (generally) true that plants that contain more sativa genes are lighter feeders than ones that are more to the indica side of the spectrum. I have learned not to mix the two in any grow where all plants are fed from the same reservoir as what might be fine for the indicas would likely leave the sativas burned.

TS - No worries mate and I agree, its a much more accurate reading..
All good, haha cheers! Yea I know all the basics, been around hydroponics
for years.. Its my first time on the forums, but it looks like im just gonna
get told what I know...

Yea I know all the basics, been around hydroponics
for years.. Its my first time on the forums, but it looks like im just gonna
get told what I know...

...and may occasionally end up telling us something that we didn't (or did, who knows, lol?) know. Life's like that and I've been schooled by both experts and people who were far from it. Only a fool disregards knowledge because of where it came from - and I try not to be one(*).

Have a good night and a great grow!

(*) Some would say that the jury is still deliberating that one, lol.

sorry to try and answer your vague question , and for trying to offer a little info on what you already know , if you already know the answer to your vague question , why ask ????????????????? smokr1

sorry to try and answer your vague question , and for trying to offer a little info on what you already know , if you already know the answer to your vague question , why ask ????????????????? smokr1

I never said that your post was useless, in fact, your post before the above
one was one of the more helpful posts so chill.. :rollit:

I never said that your post was useless, in fact, your post before the above
one was one of the more helpful posts so chill.. :rollit:

actually dase since you have been around for years then you would know that you will have to tweak with each strain that your growing before finding the numbers that you were looking for....what strain are you working with and maybe someone here who thinks they have it dialed in can help you.

I wasn't asking what meter to use haha! Maybe we should all (including myself) put the
bong/joint/vape/pipe down and read my attempted re-wording of my original
question :reading420magazine: lol

I am looking for what EC/PPM levels (at cutting, growth and flower stages)
and what watering regime people have been using in what method of growing
and on what strains for what yields?

Does that make any better sense? Hope so cause I think I even confused
myself with that last paragraph haha!

Here's an example of what im looking for. I grew strain here in method here
with the EC at EC level here in cutting stage, EC level here in growth and EC level here in flower
with a watering regime of watering regime here and that got me yield size here at harvest.

PS. I was only asking the brands of meter if someone gave me a reading in PPM so I can convert it correctly as all different meters have different conversions, in case you didnt know smokr1. Hannahs conversions 0.5, Eutech are 0.64 and Truncheon are 0.7

You could save some time by looking at the first post of every grow journal usually has that info .....and here;s a conversion chart EC-PPM-Conversion Chart

actually dase since you have been around for years then you would know that you will have to tweak with each strain that your growing before finding the numbers that you were looking for....what strain are you working with and maybe someone here who thinks they have it dialed in can help you.

I know this, I've already mentioned I know this.. Im looking for what has
worked, what equalled the best yield.

You could save some time by looking at the first post of every grow journal usually has that info .....and here;s a conversion chart EC-PPM-Conversion Chart

Why would I want to search every grow journal and then check to see if their
levels and methods worked out then find out how well it worked and then compare.
Why not just start a thread where people say this worked on this strain and I managed
to pull this much... I already go by the conversion chart over at cannaversity. I never
asked for a conversion chart, what made you post me a link to that?

Haha, im chill.. Just gets annoying when people post up the same
thing "its dependant on strain and blah, blah, blah" cause I already know
that and I've already said that this thread is about peoples experiences
with EC levels and nutes on different strains in different grow methods etc.

Hello again
My exp. with EC levels is something I don't monitor heres why. Now this come from my horticulture book from school.As for the different strands I have only grew 3 different types Most were just from bag seed and my most resent is white widow

Now with every grow it seems the plants needs change. so I just keep an eye on my plants and look for signs of their needs. for most of us the EC levels is something we don't really pay much att. too.

"EC is a quick way to measure the total salts in the soil, both 'good' salts for the irrigator like nitrate and potassium and 'bad' salts like sodium and chloride.

Many people find salt or EC measurement complicated because there are so many different ways of measuring how much salt is in a water sample. A common measurement for salt is in concentration units or mg/L (mass of salt per litre of water) or parts per million (ppm * grams of salt per million grams of water).

We will always use units of conductivity (measured in the unit 'deciSiemens per meter' or dS/m). The reason is that conductivity is the quickest and cheapest thing to measure. Conductivity readings (dS/m) can be converted to concentration units (mg/L).

Irrigation water should have an EC of less than 0.8 dS/m (500 mg/L). Water with an EC of between 0.8 and 2.3 dS/m (500-1500 ppm) is considered marginal for irrigation. The water will not taste salty, but salt levels will build up quickly in the soil and need to be managed carefully. Water with an EC greater than 2.3 dS/m (1500 mg/L) is generally not suitable for irrigation.

Soil water has a higher EC than irrigation water because of dissolved nutrients. In addition the salts in the irrigation water tend to accumulate in the soil. Salt concentrates in the soil water if there is no downwards leaching, because plants transpire fresh water and leave the sodium and chloride behind in the root zone.

Crops that are sensitive to salt, like beans, clover or plums may experience reduced yield when the EC of the soil water increases above 1 to 1.5 dS/m. Crops more tolerant to salt, like squash or rye grass, can tolerate EC levels between 3 and 6 dS/m without much harm. Crops tolerant to salt, like cotton and barley, can withstand EC levels over 7 dS/m. For comparison, sea water has an EC of 54 dS/m.

The above EC limits for sensitive and tolerant crops are a guide only, because the type of salt is also important. We have observed EC readings well above the limits for the respective crops listed above, but these high readings were mostly due to soil nutrients dissolved in the water. .

If slightly saline water is used for irrigation, or deficit irrigation practices are used, then it is essential to monitor the build up of salt in the root zone and apply leaching fractions when necessary."

Any nutrient can be measured in the soil solution collected by the FullStop. Most of our work has involved the monitoring of soil nitrate.
Nitrogen is required in large amounts by plants. For plants that are not legumes, nitrogen must be taken up as dissolved nitrate or ammonium by the plant roots. Most of the available nitrogen is usually in the nitrate form.
Nitrate is a difficult nutrient to manage. Unlike most plant nutrients it is not attracted to soil particles, so tends to move with the water. Excess irrigation quickly leaches nitrate below the root zone.
Nitrate is easy to measure using colour test strips. A drop of water is placed on the strip and the colour changes from white, through light pink to purple, depending on the concentration. The measurement is inexpensive and takes about one minute to complete.
It is not so easy to say what the nitrate levels should be. It is better to look at the trends in soil nitrate and evaluate those results against your usual fertilizer practice whilst observing the condition of the crop. In many cases this will help to reduce nitrogen inputs or alter the timing of side dressings.
experience shows that nitrate levels tend to be high at the start of the season when the demand for nutrients by young crops is low. Since young crops have shallow root systems they are frequently given too much water. This water can move nitrate below the root zone.
The cost of losing nitrate is usually many times greater than the costs of using too much water. For young crops we often irrigate so as not to activate either the shallow or the deep FullStop. Our strategy is to keep as much of the nutrients as possible in the upper layers of soil, so the plants can access them when rapid growth starts.
As plants enter the rapid growth stage, soil nitrate levels tend to drop sharply. Monitoring nitrate can show when side dressings are required.
If the irrigation water is relatively fresh, it is possible to get an indication of current nutritional status of the soil by watching trends in EC. However, monitoring of both nitrate and EC helps to show which salts are contributing to EC. Occasional measurement of other nutrients will complete the picture

That horticultural book talking about small-scale cannabis cropping or about farming? Because I don't expect that I'd be closely monitoring the EC or "ppm" of, say, even a small 25-acre farm either. But in a small indoor or outdoor container grow... Yeah. If that book is talking about hobby-level cannabis growing, I believe I'd have some issues with the author.

The part that you quoted, although it didn't mention cannabis by name, did mention a few plant types and used the phrase "may experience reduced yield" and "without much harm" (emphasis was mine). What would that translate to in a cannabis plant? An ounce less per plant? More? Got to take things in context.

To me an ounce less per harvest would be a significant amount. The stuff doesn't grow on trees, ya know. Err... Well, you know what I mean, lol.

Back
Top Bottom