Help - New grower lighting advice

Billentus

hi

i was wondering, my plants are in the seedling stage, just started like a week ago, is it ok to put them in sunlight for some hours of the day and then switch them back to indoor lighting. and when exactly should i start using nutrients?
i grow in soil.

Thanks (pic attached)
20160106_170251.jpg

Welcome Billentus. You can of course sit them on a window sill to soak up some sun. Regarding nutrients, you have to do your homework. It depends on the strain and the soil. The soil in your photo doesn't look the greatest. Do a lot of research on this forum. Maybe you could check out some finished grow journals, it's a great way to learn from other's mistakes, but don't worry, you'll still make mistakes. :) A good soil that drains well will get you in the right direction.

Hey Billentis! I am with Mcspade. You soil looks to be on the heavy side. Your plant may still thrive in that medium....but you as the cultivator needs to be cautious on over watering especially at that young seedling stage. your baby does not need any nutrients right now. I personally would repot into a an actual potting mix such as Promix one of our valued sponsors. This mix is lighter having a mixture of peat and perlite and other organic matter. This will help prevent a waterlogging or damping off issue. When you transplant it just carefully remove the entire plant along with the plug of soil surrounding the roots. This would be the time then to also replant the young seedling deeper into the medium. The long stem you are seeing is the plants response to low light levels. It is stretching to find adequate light. By planting it deeper the plant will grow more roots along that stem and become stockier in frame. Best of luck in all you grow!

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The thing is I actually live outside of the us. In Europe at the moment. And where I am, Its pretty remote. I cant get access to any smokables, hence the planting. But I can't also get access to any of those proper soil mixtures. At the moment this one seemed to be the best. I have raised many a red flag asking around every gardening shop showing pictures and all that. I have noticed a ln issue with drainage as well. The water doesn't seem to be draining from the plants at all. Is there anyway around this, how should I aproach it? I'm working on getting better soil or maybe even a soiless mix. But in the event that I can't get my hands on them, this is it. I don't have many seeds also. So I have To make it work, or else I'll be sober for a year until I'm done with this job. Life Sucks, i know.

Agree on the soil.
try to find perlite and coco and mix with the soil.
Perlite is often available in home depots
You can also try canna, biobizz and plagron and search the web.
I found a growshop over canna distributors on their webpage.

And you little one need nothing for at least a week more 2 weeks.
If she stretch to much -get the light closer.

Hey Billentus! A couple of low cost....low suspicion alternatives to help improve the drainage in your soil mix is a crumbled up styrofoam cup. You can also add aquarium gravel in the soil mix or even a small layer in the bottom of the pot to allow the water to percolate down ward.
Best of luck in all you grow! We are buddies now so if I can help I'll be just up the holler!

Back
Top Bottom