Help! Newbie lighting anxiety

Fesnyng

Hi wonderful people,

The past 3 days and nights I've been researching and planning my very first grow using CFLs.
I'm really overwhelmed with information and I literally can't get to sleep because I have so many things buzzing around in my head, I would really appreciate any and all help. Here goes.

1. So apparently the CFL's need to be constantly about an inch away from foliage for photosynthesis to happen effectively. To achieve this, wouldn't I have to have a really adjustable light, maybe a desk arm lamp like the Pixar dude? Yet looking at videos of small grows a lot of people have their lights fixed to the box and have awesome lush greenery. Confused.

2. I am by no means an electrician and setting up the CFLs looks like it involves at least a bit of wiring. While I am not so stupid I can't figure out how to do this, I am extremely worried that I'll be creating a fire hazard. Needless to say I would choose an intact house over some bud any day but there must be a safe way to have both. I would appreciate any detailed information on safe wiring techniques and general wisdom on the matter.

3. Although not strictly a lighting matter, what is the minimum requirement for ventilation of a regular sized dresser when using CFL lighting techniques? Quite broad I know but please have mercy for I am a newbie!

Thanks so much for reading and I apologize for my ignorance. :thanks:

Fesnyng

CFL's work best within 3 inches but will provide ample lighting as far as 6 inches away. Having them mounted to a board that is tied to a string and couple of eye bolts at the top of you box will allow you to lower and raise the fixture as needed.

As for the wiring KISS... keep it simple. Never have bare wire showing, make sure that every line is insulated, use wire nuts (they are worth the $0.10), a parallel circuit is safe easy and effective. The fixtures you buy will either have a single wire coming off each pole or two screws on each pole. Keep the blacks connected to the blacks and whites to the whites. If the fixture has the screws on the poles, the brass colored ones will always be your hot line (black wire).

Generally speaking, moving the complete volume of area 4 times an hour is the minimum you want.

Hi wonderful people,

The past 3 days and nights I've been researching and planning my very first grow using CFLs.
I'm really overwhelmed with information and I literally can't get to sleep because I have so many things buzzing around in my head, I would really appreciate any and all help. Here goes.

1. So apparently the CFL's need to be constantly about an inch away from foliage for photosynthesis to happen effectively. To achieve this, wouldn't I have to have a really adjustable light, maybe a desk arm lamp like the Pixar dude? Yet looking at videos of small grows a lot of people have their lights fixed to the box and have awesome lush greenery. Confused.

2. I am by no means an electrician and setting up the CFLs looks like it involves at least a bit of wiring. While I am not so stupid I can't figure out how to do this, I am extremely worried that I'll be creating a fire hazard. Needless to say I would choose an intact house over some bud any day but there must be a safe way to have both. I would appreciate any detailed information on safe wiring techniques and general wisdom on the matter.

3. Although not strictly a lighting matter, what is the minimum requirement for ventilation of a regular sized dresser when using CFL lighting techniques? Quite broad I know but please have mercy for I am a newbie!

Thanks so much for reading and I apologize for my ignorance. :thanks:

Fesnyng
It's not even about how many inches away from the bulb. Its about Watts per square inch you need 50w per but ideally 66w per square inch. A with Cfl there are a lot but they make Cfl grow bulbs 100-300w. And no you dont have to move your big ass 300w you just have to know that the optimum light penetration is 2.5 feet under or around it. And you need cpu fan intake and a small filter and four inch fan out should be good on cooling.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom