CharlieG

A couple days ago I found one of my plants pretty much laying on its side and it looked as though the stalk had been nibbled. I took the plant out of the room because it already looked beyond the point of return.
I got a couple mouse traps set them up thinking that would resolve the issue but today I've found a big hole out of one of the other girls. I didn't checked all the other plants initially so maybe it's a coincidence but could this be borer caterpillars? Sorry for the shoddy photos looking for any advice to keep the girls alive!

Wow... that is a tough one. Looks like your plant is beyond being a seedling so what ever is getting to them is quite aggressive. Most bugs attack the soft tissue of the leaf.

I'm suspect that it is some type of soil larvae. How do the roots look on the plant that tumbled. Fungus gnats are one bug that have larvae that initially go for the roots. You can treat this with neem oil and also beneficial nematodes. If it were something larger like a Caterpillar I would expect you to be able to see them as they are relatively large.

Growing outside I once had a problem with moles. I actually witnessed a compete sweet pea plant disappear down a hole as the bugger pulled it under. Inside this wouldn't be a problem.

How do the roots look on the plant
Roots looks healthy.. I'll try and get a picture when I'm back from work but when I looked in the soil roots seemed healthy. There was a couple of half munched leaves too which is why I assumed catapillars or mice but like you said I'd notice catapillars, and I didn't see any droppings. I'll invest in some neem oil and keep you updated thanks for the reply! do I need to spray the neem oil directly onto the stalk? And how do I get it to penetrate the soil? Add it to my water? Thanks again you da maaaan!

hmmm... yea if leaves are involved also good chance of a pest. Slugs, Sails, earwigs and caterpillar could all be possibilities. I had Earwigs and never did see them but they were really munching away on the leaves.

Neem oil is pretty good to get most bugs. It will not have any affect on a slug or snail but show take care of many of the other pests. I got some neem oil last night myself.

I have some little flies.

Instructions for use for fungus flies and other flies that breed in the soil is to soak the top layer of the soil with the neem oil. I also sprayed them just before dark out period just to make sure it didn't damage the plants.

I have another question for you at the moment I'm running 4 plants on a 300w led they're a month in and I'll be switching them to flower in the next couple of weeks. I've been told my one light won't be enough for a decent yield would you suggest another 300w led or maybe a 250w hps? Winter here gets down to about 5 degrees and as I understand it leds don't generate much heat any advice would be nice first time grower looking for any advice

That's all good. Good idea to put some neem oil in with my water so it gets down to the roots? I haven't seen anymore holes or anything out of the ordinary since I taped the damaged area and applied the neem oil.
If I'm coating the neem oil on the top of the soil I should obviously dilute first?

Yes it is diluted. My label recommends something like 2 tsp mild dish liquid as an emulsifier and 1 1/2 tsp of neem oil per gallon of water. Check your label for the recommendations of you product.

I have another question for you at the moment I'm running 4 plants on a 300w led they're a month in and I'll be switching them to flower in the next couple of weeks. I've been told my one light won't be enough for a decent yield would you suggest another 300w led or maybe a 250w hps? Winter here gets down to about 5 degrees and as I understand it leds don't generate much heat any advice would be nice first time grower looking for any advice

I think you would want to add a second light. In my last grow of Phots I started with a 600 W LED and ended up adding an second 600 W. With full spectrum (both switches on if you have them) it raises the temperature by about 6 degrees F.

Wondering if the 250W HPS would put off too much heat for your summer growing.

Back
Top Bottom