Help, panic station germination

jahmid

Hello,

Ill start with the details so you can get the picture. I am attempting for the first time, to grow 4 auto cream caramel plants in my greenhouse.

So I planted the seeds straight into there 5L pots, in a low nute soil, and flushed them (24 hours before seeds went in). I then covered them with cling film to keep the humidity up. Then left them in my greenhouse. The first 2 days went by with nothing happening, after this I realised the low temp was keeping them dormant! Then came some nice weather, so 4 days have passed, and 2 have germinated, the soil looks broken on 1 more, and the last looks the same as when I planted it.

As you can understand being my first time, I am getting worried. If anyone can help me answer these questions for me I would be very grateful!

1. On the plants that have germinated, the seed casing remain! should I help them along a little bit and take them off? Or just let nature take it course?

2. When should I take the cling film off the top of the pots?

3. Why have they all not germinated? Have I done something wrong, and is there anything I can do to sort them out?

Or if anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips they would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

and Peace
Jahmid

:morenutes:

Hello,

Ill start with the details so you can get the picture. I am attempting for the first time, to grow 4 auto cream caramel plants in my greenhouse.

So I planted the seeds straight into there 5L pots, in a low nute soil, and flushed them (24 hours before seeds went in). I then covered them with cling film to keep the humidity up. Then left them in my greenhouse. The first 2 days went by with nothing happening, after this I realised the low temp was keeping them dormant! Then came some nice weather, so 4 days have passed, and 2 have germinated, the soil looks broken on 1 more, and the last looks the same as when I planted it.

As you can understand being my first time, I am getting worried. If anyone can help me answer these questions for me I would be very grateful!

1. On the plants that have germinated, the seed casing remain! should I help them along a little bit and take them off? Or just let nature take it course?

2. When should I take the cling film off the top of the pots?

3. Why have they all not germinated? Have I done something wrong, and is there anything I can do to sort them out?

Or if anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips they would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

and Peace
Jahmid

:morenutes:

I never plant my seeds straight into soil. I germinate them first in a wet paper towel till the tap root pops. Then I put them in the soil. I have had some seeds that just don't pop. It happens. As for the seed casing, I would let it be for a couple days. She should be able to get it off her self. I don't use cling on my pots. I put the seeds in Styrofoam cups and let them go for a couple weeks in the veg tent to build up their roots. Then I transplant to a larger container. :peace:

Well if you have steady hands like a brain surgeon you may wish to remove the seed shell, but if not they is chance of damage !

It will eventually break off when the baby leafs get bigger or you could try damping it with water a few or more times to soften it up & then gentle remove it as a suggestion.

Take the cling film off as plants need to breath, you can DIY a humidity dome with a clear plastic drinking bottle with the bottom cut off leaving the lid of for fresh air etc :thumb:

Germination conditions varie & mostly temperature & moisture related.

Not all seeds will sprout at the same time it may take others a day or more longer etc just sit tight.

I may suggest go easy on the watering they are in 5 liter pots & if watered well prior to planting should be good enough for a few to several days.

Many tricks to understand with autos, like germ into the pot you are gonna harvest from, a 3 us gallon pot for a 3 month plant(15 liter)..wet the soil only once your have planted the seed, keeps air in the soil, and if in doubt keep the plant warm 77f/25c is best, and 20% perlite is a great addition to avoiding nute burn

Back
Top Bottom