Help - Plant "Snapped"

northgate

I got some some advice from a friend saying to "bend" the tops of my plants down. He used the term snap and does have some growing experience however I am not to sure about this. It just doesn't seem right! Anyways here are some pictures of the bend/snap in my plant. This is of the top main cola... It is not snapped all the way just bent. Not snapping meaning that the stem is till put together not like hanging on by a thread. Any thoughts/advice would help! thanks!

bend3.JPG
bend21.JPG
bend12.JPG

SS, take a deep breath and relax, it is completely fine and most refer to it as super-cropping, and I do it to 90% of my plants. It allows for better canopy management and helps slow upward growth which allows the lower growth to catch up and bush out. A good explanation can be found at -----> What is Supercropping?

I personally try not to super crop after day 21 of flowering unless absolutely necessary to minimize stress in flowering, but I know many who do it in flowering with no ill effects.

thats fine,,,, i do it too.... but i just call it "tending my garden"... good luck to ya...

I just "snapped" my NY Purple Diesel mom, 2 days and she will be back to normal. I will post a photo when she rights herself

IMGP2345.JPG

its a cruel world!

Use a split straw to brace limbs and help repair that injury.
Anytime you do any plant that way you injure the Highway from the rootz to the growing tips, DO NOT DO IT !! despite the snappy name 'Super Cropping' slows the nutrient uptake.

This should be an interesting conversation now.

Thanks for all the replies. A few of my snapped stems didn't make it but the other ones turned out great. Live and learn!

Use a split straw to brace limbs and help repair that injury.
Anytime you do any plant that way you injure the Highway from the rootz to the growing tips, DO NOT DO IT !! despite the snappy name 'Super Cropping' slows the nutrient uptake.

Wow, it is nice to see a difference of opinion once in a while...I myself do it to all of mine but that is just me, you are the first person I have heard say not to supercrop, and your reasoning seems possible and makes sense...I just like it personally and haven't had any issues with it yet...Do you just top your plants or leave it alone for the whole run?? Also, how do you feel about cutting off the fan leaves for more light penetration?? I trim the shit out of mine and get rid of as many fan leaves as possible without killing it...Then again, I'm new to growing on a serious level(before I use3d to just throw seeds in the ground and wait, no Ph, nutrients, or good treated water) so maybe I try other ways, I'm now just trying to do a ton of experimenting to see what works best for me and then run with it......Sorry to get off topic on someone else post, I just found the response interesting and had a few questions for Blucross...:adore::adore::adore:

A friend of mine tried to get me into super cropping, I wasn't overly impressed by mutilating the plant that way... seems unnecessary to me. That is to say I didn't notice any advantage to it!
The one thing I did notice was that all the things I do to protect the plant were undermined by opening a possible hole for pests and disease to propagate... bad ju ju.

Although, I also start my plants bushing out early in life using a combo of LST and some topping... while in a controlled atmosphere.

There are so many ways to grow, it's hard to say what is right and what is wrong... as long as you come out w/top shelf meds... it's all good!

Speaking outdoor wise, I used to trim the hell out of them in the same manner you described but... I have now come to believe that this will slow the plants overall growth as they try to regrow the lost vegetation.
This vegetation is critical to photosynthesis.
In short, the plant has the leaves it needs to gather light to synthesize food directly from carbon dioxide using energy from light. They accrue it as part of their potential energy.

I still prune sparingly to help with disease prevention (no leafs touching the soil blah blah blah) What I have been doing is what I call "tucking"... I take the big ass leafs that are blocking light to the middle and tuck them under a branch or something that will keep it there for a time. This allows the light to get inside w/o decreasing the plants potential ability.

This is all JMNSHO... best of luck in your greenventures :Namaste:

Wow, it is nice to see a difference of opinion once in a while...I myself do it to all of mine but that is just me, you are the first person I have heard say not to supercrop, and your reasoning seems possible and makes sense...I just like it personally and haven't had any issues with it yet...Do you just top your plants or leave it alone for the whole run?? Also, how do you feel about cutting off the fan leaves for more light penetration?? I trim the shit out of mine and get rid of as many fan leaves as possible without killing it...Then again, I'm new to growing on a serious level(before I use3d to just throw seeds in the ground and wait, no Ph, nutrients, or good treated water) so maybe I try other ways, I'm now just trying to do a ton of experimenting to see what works best for me and then run with it......Sorry to get off topic on someone else post, I just found the response interesting and had a few questions for Blucross...:adore::adore::adore:

Cannabis is such a hardy plant and like that hardy tree Mulberry, you can do all kinds of whacking at it and it will still survive. people here in Sacramento feel they NEED to mutilate the trees or they will grow wild....
...and because of Cannabis's toughness, it can be 'doughted, whacked, slashed etc' and it will survive.
The ladies we have now indoors we do not need to top, but because we let them get so big we probably should have topped some of them,
The most aggressive chopping we do is in the lower 1/2 -1/3 of the plant, we take out the smaller weaker branch's to allow food to go to flowering tops.
We are very slow on cutting healthy fan leaves, yes they may block some of the light but geez they are holding a large amount of food energy for the BUDS to use in the last stages of flowering
and as C.kronic said....lots of different ways to grow but I suggest 'nothing' drastic until you have couple successful grows.
Cya , I gotta go check the water...

Geeez Batcave with a garden helper like you got .....no wonder your plants thrive,
mine getting larger as I stare.......

It all makes some sort of sense when you look at it on almost every perspective...I guess it is whatever works best for the individual grower...I'm not die hard on any way of growing yet, I will keep experimenting til I find my way of doing it successfully and take it from there...I have some little girls now I will try to leave them alone and not molest like my last grows and see what the difference is...

Back
Top Bottom