Help please: Cal/Mag def? Lockout?

DezmondG

Hey everyone. About 24 days into flower now in 4x4 tent, organic soil, tap water, 600w HPS light, Bubba Kush. Leaves are yellowing. I was plucking some today and took pics with natural light so you can see them better. I figure cal/mag def? So today’s water was only with cal/mag and water. PH was 6.86 on the meter.

3B389441-AAE7-4D29-B5AD-33A668D13505.jpeg
78D9BD54-697A-4BBA-8964-4D814484204E.jpeg
059D393D-967C-4954-8D27-37F65B536309.jpeg
CC8D3F71-0433-4B1D-8C7B-CE6CD0DA11C9.jpeg
EEECA330-9E43-44DF-8E88-478CEEF843FD.jpeg
2A3915E1-48CA-40A7-9B14-53F8C272DF62.jpeg
C63AA328-1C80-4309-B235-5DF54CEF4E91.jpeg
3E392F3D-5212-4725-9BD3-B92DBEED25A7.jpeg
AC3577AA-2900-4324-921E-0A28AD22DB65.jpeg

Couple of questions:
How far away is the light from canopy?
What media?
Temperature?
What have you been feeding her?
What strength?
How often are you watering?
Is her media dry when you water or still damp?

May seem like an interrogation, but the more details the better chance of diagnosing what's going on.

top of plant yellowing/interveinal chlorosis is calcium def. calcium is immobile and is only taken up during transpiration process which is why the newest growth will show it.

bottom interveinal chlorosis is magnesium def. magnesium is mobile. example, means the plant will translocate the food from older leaves to newer growth if source is deficient. same with nitrogen.

Couple of questions:
What media?
Temperature?
What strength?

May seem like an interrogation, but the more details the better chance of diagnosing what's going on.

18” - 20”

What media?
Organic soil

Temperature?
22-26 Celsius

Mostly tap water sitting for 2 days before using it. Also bloom. Pic below

What strength?
75% of recommendation
Once every 3 days. 1.5 litres / plant
Dry as a popcorn fart.

Attachments

• E7974DF4-BAA3-471E-BC50-EAC97B01F366.jpeg
    E7974DF4-BAA3-471E-BC50-EAC97B01F366.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 108
top of plant yellowing/interveinal chlorosis is calcium def. calcium is immobile and is only taken up during transpiration process which is why the newest growth will show it.

bottom interveinal chlorosis is magnesium def. magnesium is mobile. example, means the plant will translocate the food from older leaves to newer growth if source is deficient. same with nitrogen.

This will happen anyway in a few more weeks of flower! When Senescence becomes a thing!
Organic soil FTW!

Only thing really you can do at this point is make a kelp/EWC tea.

1 cup EWC
1/2 cup kelp meal
bucket of water.

Add in and stir let sit out over night water in. It will fix your problem for a few weeks enough to get you to the finish line and you could do it again in a week. You're still going to get your fan leaves (if you leave them on the plant) they will turn colors and FALL off. Completely normal. If it doesn't happen to me something is wrong.

Going down the stretch

Senescence - large older fan leaves begin turn from sinks of energy to source of energy get old and die. Abscission is the process of them FALLing off. Completely normal.
Translocation
- green in the plants leaves changes color and nitrogen magnesium, calcium and sugars will move from leaves to the flowers
Abscission - process of leaves falling off - when all the nutrients or most of them are moved into the plant for reproduction process (seeds).

yes use soil, worm castings or compost and mix of all if u want, any amendmants of your choice.

you should try getting some compost with less than 2% nitrogen and preferrably high phosphorous and potassium, 2-8-8 or 1-4-4, put 2 gallons of it in a 5g bucket w/water and aerate if possible, stir well and frequently if you are around. fish tank pumps work ok, pumps are cheap off amazon.

The AACT (Actively aerated compost teas) work best. microbes will multiply to billions! just need oxygen to survive:)

soil tea is cool if its good soil cause its more well rounded, has better ratio of minerals( food) i feel. unless you got a great compost and know it has all 14 minerals in it.

most teas are indeed supplemental, targeting only a couple minerals, anyway enjoy:) and have fun experimenting!

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

This is the soil the plants are in right now and I have given them 4ml of cal/mag in 5 litres are water the last 2 feedings (1.5 Litres per plant).

AB0245F1-11CC-4BF3-96D2-68DCB84C9575.jpeg

Should I still get the stuff for the tea? And do I water with it until run off?

yea buddy grab a bag of top quality soil or compost or both and make a half batch of tea to try:)

also any synthetic bottled nutrients ( calmag) are indeed salts and too much ppm of salt will kill microbes and other benficial rhizobacteria over time if used religiously, they are designed for hydroponic use but you can definately use it in living soil whenever your in a jam:)

You dont need Magnesium.

Cal/Mag - is that organic? How does it work with your micro-organisms in the soil?

These are rhetorical questions you should ask yourself. I'm just throwing them out there for you to think about.

The reason for the Kelp/EWC tea:

Kelp meal has all 70 macro and micro nutrients plants need to live and thrive in the proper ratio. EWC has microbes in spades to help break down your soils minerals/nutrients. Also EWC has calcium which you need.

Cal/Mag whats in it? (another rhetorical question)

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

This is the soil the plants are in right now and I have given them 4ml of cal/mag in 5 litres are water the last 2 feedings (1.5 Litres per plant).

AB0245F1-11CC-4BF3-96D2-68DCB84C9575.jpeg

Should I still get the stuff for the tea? And do I water with it until run off?
yes always water to run off, if its time to water.
lets you know its watered all the way down.

say im using a 2g pot, i water like 250-500ml at a time allowing medium to evenly saturate on the way down, then eventually you will have your runoff, consistently out of each drain hole and that is a happy water!!

letting plant use 3/4 of the water in the medium is what u want to do, let it get dry, but not wilting, benefits: roots grow more, more oxygen to medium/roots, microbes multiply like crazy cause going dormant, plant uses stored up sugars as well. its very beneficial:)

If you're only in a 2gal pot at this stage and your leaves are doing that. Your plant is root bound. You likely should be watering 2x a day in a #2 and it wont be enough. Put a tray under the plants water to runoff let the water sit in the tray. It will be gone the next day and repeat....

Sorta kinda too late to up-pot now but you're gonna struggle in 2 gals of soil in flower.

If you're only in a 2gal pot at this stage and your leaves are doing that. Your plant is root bound. You likely should be watering 2x a day in a #2 and it wont be enough. Put a tray under the plants water to runoff let the water sit in the tray. It will be gone the next day and repeat....

Sorta kinda too late to up-pot now but you're gonna struggle in 2 gals of soil in flower.
your just assuming, this is an example thats accurate.

haha if you dont have any trays underneath each pot, definately get one for soil.

No no. Not 2g pots. 9 gallon I think.
So I will make up a tea of some sort tomorrow when I go and get the stuff needed. Then give that to them on next water/feed. Many thanks again. Maybe when I do water, I don’t water enough. Need more run off. I was told since I am in this organic soil l, I don’t want to water with runoff as it will was out the good stuff in the soil? Is that wrong advice?

yes always water to run off, if its time to water.
lets you know its watered all the way down.

say im using a 2g pot, i water like 250-500ml at a time allowing medium to evenly saturate on the way down, then eventually you will have your runoff, consistently out of each drain hole and that is a happy water!!

letting plant use 3/4 of the water in the medium is what u want to do, let it get dry, but not wilting, benefits: roots grow more, more oxygen to medium/roots, microbes multiply like crazy cause going dormant, plant uses stored up sugars as well. its very beneficial:)
When I do water. It is 1.5 litres but what is do is allow the plant to sip it very slowly so it goes into the soil and. It just to the bottom and run out. So each plant takes me about 3-5 minutes to water. I think my next round will be to do a tea and really water them well.

When I do water. It is 1.5 litres but what is do is allow the plant to sip it very slowly so it goes into the soil and. It just to the bottom and run out. So each plant takes me about 3-5 minutes to water. I think my next round will be to do a tea and really water them well.
yea bro sounds like hungry is all, and 9 gallon, could hold up to more like 9 L in total, but average probably min 5, all depends on what you have in there to retain water and the drainage/aeration from perlite for example.

Back
Top Bottom