Help please: pH or nutrient lockout, when to flush

Jacob Bell

Hello all. I need some help please. I am a concerned father lol. My little girl is getting all grown up, and I think her soil pH might be locking her out like a chastity belt lol.
Need to knows for a good answer:
1. First grow, bagseed, don't know strain. Sadly.
2. Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest.
3. Lights: 8 26W CFL, 7 2700K, 1 6500K.
4. Heat: 71-83 or so, depending on lights on or off.
5. Humidity: 32% to 38%
6. pH: just bought a pH test kit, for aquariums. pH of tap water, about 6.8. Need to test after adding nutes, and need to test runoff after watering tonight, when the lights come on.
7. Nutes: FF Big Bloom, every other watering. About 1 TBS or 1/12 TBS per 3 liters or so of water.

Been flowering since Oct. 11. About midway thru this time frame, my leaves began to yellow and die off. Now, I have read that fan leaves will do this during flowering, but I think my case might be extreme. I have almost no leaves left, except by the buds, and those look fine. Here are pics:
day_27_035.jpg

This is about halfway between Oct. 11 and now.
Day_54_001.jpg

This is now.

Am I doing something seriously wrong here? I bought a microscope, i have clear trichs, but I can't hold my hand steady enough to actually look at them good. Too shakey. When do I know when to stop using nutes and begin the flush period? If my runoff tonight is low, what should I use to fix it? I have some pH down and pH up, from the fish pH kit. Will that work ok on a plant? It was the only pH test stuff I could find in my area. Any and all comments are welcome!

Damn, I just looked at those 2 pics, and sheeeeeeeeeze. Look at the massive huge difference!!! Wow!!! I lost a crud ton of leaves!!! HELP!!!!! is this normal???? my baby looks like she lost a fight with a turkey!

I doubt its a PH issue. Most issues are connected with over/underwatering. 6.8 is fine an FF nutes shouldn't change it enough to give you lockout issues. Your relative humidity is an issue right off the bat, anything below 45% will give you issues.

How dry is the soil when you water? Cannabis enjoys a good dry cycle between waterings so oxygen can get to the roots.

Brett2theMax, thanks for the reply!! The soil is very dry when I water. I actually wait until the leaves began to show sign of drooping, then I water. I nute every other water. I am afraid of lockout.
I had no idea my humidity was too low. Crud. I guess I will put 2 water jugs in the area, with large open tops. That should help that. That's the only fix I know of, right off the bat. Any other ideas about how to raise humidity without buying something? I'm broke. But water cans seem to help with the rest of the house, I have 5 of them sitting next to heater ducts on the floor. Helps with not shocking myself every time I walk around the house.
The lights are about to come on, I am going to water, it's a water day, and nute, and see what the runoff pH is, then I will be right back on to post the pH of the runoff. 20 mins or so.

Ok, humidity either too low to register, and up to 39% today. pH of water without nutes: 6.8. pH of water with FF Big Bloom: 7.2. this is a good kit. I thought nutes were supposed to bring the pH down? That's what I read on several sites today. But this has brought it up, past acceptable 7.0. what the heck? let me water, and check the runoff.

Ok, this is not good!!!!! pH of runoff is above the water and nutes, it's close to 7.8. It's almost twice as dark green/blue as the water/nutes by themselves. Flush time. I can't think of anything else. I have no one to call on this subject, so I will have to just go for it, and hope I am doing the right thing.

You could be waiting too long to water. How many days into flower are you? it might actually be a little late for you to see response from the plant in the time that you have left. I had this happen to me in my 3rd grow, I ended up underwatering the plants because pots were too small. I tried all sorts of things to bring them back but the damage was done for so long that it never came back all the way.

the plant is too far in the cycle to fix anything. the plant looks great for a first attempt.
I would flush it with 3 times the container size and check the runoff at that point just for learning purposes. water it more often and feed it everytime at 50% strength until its done. great job!!:yahoo:

Marvin great advice but I suggest giving it ONLY water the last 2 weeks of flowering before harvest. I did some experimenting and putting things as simple as maple syrup and molasses will make your smoke harsh. I was really surprised to how harsh the smoke was.

hey, thanks for the replies all! I am conflicted as to whether or not to nutes in these last few wks. I think I probably have about 2 or 3 wks to go. If I don't nute, she may not get any nutrients at all. If I do nute, maybe she can suck up at least a few to keep her flowering???? Have no idea/what do you all think? I did notice tonight, that one of the main cola's, has gotten bigger since last nights flush. It literally jumped out at me this morning when I looked, but I thought I was just seeing things. But I checked her tonight when the lights came on, and it got bigger for sure. That's a good sign I would have to say :) But, the pH is still an issue. I was going to test runoff tonight, but there was no water in the tray, i wanted to test it. Oh well, probably would not be a true reading anyways. Been sitting too long probably. Evaporation and such at work. Anyways, keep up the replies, I am not out of the woods yet lol. Any way to bring this pH down safely? I heard dolomite lime or something? But im broke lol. Vinegar? Will that make it up or down? That's cheap. I have some cider apple vinegar lol. I definately dont' want to put in anything that will harsh the smoke, kill the plant or make me sick or dead from smoking it lol. Thoughts?

I would just flush with the water you have and call it good. Water when needed for the last 2 weeks, maybe water a little more often then you have if underwatering is the issue. How much do you water the plant and how often? and what pot size is it in?

Hey all, sorry for not being here. I'm still having issues, yes lol. I still want advice, check. lol. The container is about 1 gallon I think. I usually water it with about 3/4 gallon of water. It runs out the bottom alot when I water. Am I over watering? I water when the container feels light, and the leaves droop, usually about every 3 days. tonight, however, is weird. Remember I flushed it the other day? Then, when it was dry, I watered it. That was 2 days ago. Today, the top of the soil is still pretty darn wet, just like it was yesterday. Which is surprising to me. Usually 2 days after watering, the top soil is dry as dry can be. What does this mean? Also, my leaves are really really yellowing, dying and falling off. Even some of the leaves attached to the buds now. Ouch. Also, I touched the buds tonight, and they are hard, kinda crispy. Is this normal? Oh man, I think I really screwed this up somehow.

Marvin, I was thinking I would nutes for another week or so. Then 2 wks flush, then harvest. Because the way it's looking now, I don't know if it will make it to harvest. It's looking pretty scary. I will take some pics and post them in a few mins.

Ok, here. wait a minute. I need some damn music. brb. ok. Tool.
Here are some pics from just now. I included a soil pic, as the soil looks just like it did yesterday, it's been 2 days since I watered. I did use 3/4 strength nutes that time. Normally the soil is dry on top by now. I swear it. Stoned or not lol. And oh yeah, either I burned a bud or it's dying. The pistols are much skinnier, and whatnot. I think it's the first few pics I post.
dec_12_011.jpg
dec_12_010.jpg
dec_12_009.jpg
dec_12_008.jpg
dec_12_007.jpg
dec_12_006.jpg
dec_12_004.jpg
dec_12_005.jpg
dec_12_002.jpg
dec_12_001.jpg

I'm really scared for my plant. I think she is like, going to die. And ruin the harvest. Or something. If she starts dying what do i do? Cut it and dry it and cure and use it? Or is it even worth anything at this point?
Another thing. To me, I call it 8 wks plus 2 days right now. But that's when I changed to 12/12. Not when sex starting showing. That took a few wks. So if I go by that, it's only been about 6 wks or so. I can't get a decent pH reader yet. I am going to asap. But if it's pH issue, and I have lockout, can I fix it? I ain't even to worry about that right now, does me no good. I don't think I have a proper pH tester. Mine is for aquariums, it's all I could find.

Research fox farm soil. You will find it's famous for PH issues. As for PH. 6.8 is at the top of the chart and not ideal. Way too high imo. I'd sit at 6.2 to 6.4 for a soil grow. You start counting days at the onset of 12/12 but those numbers are only for reference. I've had supposed 8 week strains take 10 to 12 weeks. Environment, pests, ph issues, light strength and type can all take a toll and make a difference on finishing times.
I see a lot of white hairs and you already stated that there are no amber trichs so I would correct the PH issues (you would be flushing with PH'd water anyway) and hope they fill out a little more before harvest time sets in. I also wouldn't suddenly stop nutes in a already stressed plant. I would taper down like a previous poster suggested. Plants don't stop growing the last two weeks and actually do a lot of their fattening up then.
Read the below for understanding PH.

What is pH?

Hey guitarman!!! Im glad i decided to look around, because i stumbled upon this lol. You probably do have pH issues but you definately need to get a digital meter. Nutes and runoff make the water darker, so with aquarium pH kits, you cant read runoff(i know cuz i use aquarium testers too haha) Usually as long as you pH your water correctly, the soil will follow. FF is famous for pH problems, which is why i opt for Pro-Mix!! Well its the little things you learn for nest time. I asked a professional that i am blessed to know, and he said your best bet is to start flushing, harvest in two weeks, and start it up again. But he also said you completely fine!! Surprise!! Haha he said thats totally normal for a plant in low humidity. With less moisture, it doesnt need as many leaves, so it gets rid of them. Makes sense to me lol.

Guitarman I grow using FF soil exclusively and I will tell you how to get really good results with it. First of all, grow in 3 gallon Smart Pots or Air Pots, this is the only way your roots will get enough oxygen and you will see much better formed plants and also better yields in these containers. Second, and this may sound strange but do not use any nutrients or anything at all besides tap water. FF soil comes preloaded with lot's of nutes to start with and try a grow using soil and just tap water. A lot of plants looking bad has to do with a few things. When the plant is not vegged long enough. OVERFERTILIZATION is the main one I see. MY first crop looked the same way. By the second crop I learned my lesson and used waaaaaay less nutes. If messing with fertilizers is your thing go with hydro. Soil needs enzymes and stuff way more than fertilizer. In nature, soil is a lot more active with enzymes, earthworms, all kinds of stuff, so indoor soil is somewhat deficient in beneficial microorganisms. I recommend sensizym and possibly a weak dose of hydroponics grow solution as a soil ammendment around week 4 or 5 of bloom and you will get awesome results. Also, take care not to overprune your plants. They need the leaves!

1 gal soil per month of grow minimum! Up pot and you will see your problem. I recently saved a neighbors plant by washing out all the dirt in the roots and repotting FFOF No added nutes. It recovered in 2 weeks completely. Not as far along as yours is and in a smaller pot but so root bound and looking the same. What do you have to loose at this point?

Find that one person to listen to.

KISS is the best. What Growing247 said about FF and nutes till you get the hang of it at least.

I wouldn't listen to me. LOL

Back
Top Bottom