Help - Problems with seedlings spots and discoloured

NewToGrowin

Hi all, new to growing and need help for outside growing in australia weather. I have 3 seedlings they are now 11days old started inside germinated and the past week going outside in the sun as they had stretched stems aswell so they were weak and flimsy so seen a youtube clip about putting a straw around the outside or tying them to help them stay up right.
But my main concern is they are getting spots and discolour on its first little leaves does anyone know why, and what can i do to fix it? Im not sure how to put pics up from my mobile? Any help is greatly appreciated
Soil using hortico all purpose blend potting mix, using puretap water when watering. Light is from sun

Spots can be caused by any number of things. Pics would definitely help. 420 is the easiest way to upload pics...
The first one has most damage.
12b9f100ca302eed3ce21cb37fa1c76b.jpg
5edca21dffdef0d819adc7dbdd1b3684.jpg
3ef5a3fc4b3418116baf34460482357d.jpg

Hi all, new to growing and need help for outside growing in australia weather. I have 3 seedlings they are now 11days old started inside germinated and the past week going outside in the sun as they had stretched stems aswell so they were weak and flimsy so seen a youtube clip about putting a straw around the outside or tying them to help them stay up right.
But my main concern is they are getting spots and discolour on its first little leaves does anyone know why, and what can i do to fix it? Im not sure how to put pics up from my mobile? Any help is greatly appreciated .
Soil using hortico all purpose blend potting mix, using puretap water when watering. Light is from sun
Attached photos

Alright new, good day to you and welcome to 420 bud.

first of, your girls are looking good...so don't panic to much...

I need to know what soil you got them in, so we can point you in the right direction.
Seedlings dont need much food at the moment, just a bit of water when they dry out. The water you give needs to be around 6.5 PH. Thats more important now
Do you know the PH of your water?

Knowing your soil mix will help me and others know which direction to guide you from there.

They stretched a little becsuse the light you used was either to far away or to weak. But now they're outside in aussie, light will not be a problem. Just make sure they only get a light breeze, no strong wind yet...the light breeze will strengthen the stems.

Don't let them get to wet, they like good wet to dry cycles.

Like I said new, they're doing well alright. So relax.
If you can list your soil,that will help

Sorry bud, it says the soil at the top. My bad.
Do you know if that brand of soil has any nutrients in it?

So just need ti know about your water out of the tap?
What ph is it?
What chemicals and minerals are in your local water?
Some local tap waters have things like chlorine in it, so myself and others fill some buckets then leave them over night to release some of the nasties.

If you research PH meters and ppm meters they will help you find out whats going on eith your water.
The seedlings need the water you give them to be 6.5 PH.

When they get a couple more sets of leaves, you can start to think about giving nutrients. . Any plans?

Sorry bud, it says the soil at the top. My bad.
Do you know if that brand of soil has any nutrients in it?

So just need ti know about your water out of the tap?
What ph is it?
What chemicals and minerals are in your local water?
Some local tap waters have things like chlorine in it, so myself and others fill some buckets then leave them over night to release some of the nasties.

If you research PH meters and ppm meters they will help you find out whats going on eith your water.
The seedlings need the water you give them to be 6.5 PH.

When they get a couple more sets of leaves, you can start to think about giving nutrients. . Any plans?
Thanks Smeghead,
I'm not sure on soil information exactly so i attached a couple of pics.
As for water i have been using puratap water filter water. Not sure on the ph levels i am going to buy a ph meter tomorrow.
ca54c0f6efac0611bd448a587e0eeb2c.jpg
1af4c2e7bf0a1f1c986ee01837821608.jpg

But my main concern is they are getting spots and discolour on its first little leaves does anyone know why, and what can i do to fix it? Im not sure how to put pics up from my mobile? Any help is greatly appreciated .
Soil

You may be alright new. Some people have good water.
Me I use my tap water, it is hard water full of stuff. It comes out of my tap at 8.2 PH, thats about as high as it gets. .then I have to lower that to 6.5 PH using a acidic solution. You can go organic and use lemon juice or so, but I buy a solution from the shop, ph down.

A ph meter is an essential bit of kit.when u get that and hit the girls with 6.5 water you'll be golden.

You may be alright new. Some people have good water.
Me I use my tap water, it is hard water full of stuff. It comes out of my tap at 8.2 PH, thats about as high as it gets. .then I have to lower that to 6.5 PH using a acidic solution. You can go organic and use lemon juice or so, but I buy a solution from the shop, ph down.

A ph meter is an essential bit of kit.when u get that and hit the girls with 6.5 water you'll be golden.
Thanks again.
Another quick question it's abit of a silly one but i would like to know.
A friend is also getting some auto flowering feminised seeds and will be growing outside like me, so was wondering if these seeds can be planted in summer here in Australia(SA) heat ranges from 25to35 sometimes hotter and also if they will grow in our autumn and be harvested in our winter?

Thanks Smeghead,
I'm not sure on soil information exactly so i attached a couple of pics.
As for water i have been using puratap water filter water. Not sure on the ph levels i am going to buy a ph meter tomorrow.
ca54c0f6efac0611bd448a587e0eeb2c.jpg
1af4c2e7bf0a1f1c986ee01837821608.jpg

The information about your soil has only just appeared on my screen (Internet slow).

It says the soil has fertiliser in it, sometimes thats not ideal for seedlings. The soil can be a little hot for seeds. Hopefully its not to strong.
Ideal soil for seeds has no fertiliser. .so definitely only water for now.

Sometimes the soil packet has the strength of fertiliser written on the side, it shows up as a group of numbers like 04-02-01 or simular. .if you can see the numbers on the side, tell us so we can see if it is to strong.

Thanks again.
Another quick question it's abit of a silly one but i would like to know.
A friend is also getting some auto flowering feminised seeds and will be growing outside like me, so was wondering if these seeds can be planted in summer here in Australia(SA) heat ranges from 25to35 sometimes hotter and also if they will grow in our autumn and be harvested in our winter?

New. Some autos will love the aussie sun, they'll grow into monsters.
They will flower at any time, thats the beauty of autos. They dont need a change of light cycle to flower, the breeders time line from seed to bud will br the same no matter the time of year. If you got one out now they'd be massive.

If I lived in aussie id be growing trees of bud outside.

The information about your soil has only just appeared on my screen (Internet slow).

It says the soil has fertiliser in it, sometimes thats not ideal for seedlings. The soil can be a little hot for seeds. Hopefully its not to strong.
Ideal soil for seeds has no fertiliser. .so definitely only water for now.

Sometimes the soil packet has the strength of fertiliser written on the side, it shows up as a group of numbers like 04-02-01 or simular. .if you can see the numbers on the side, tell us so we can see if it is to strong.
No numbers on soil packet that i can see anywhere apart from barcode....haha
For future reference what would you recommend for soil next time?

No numbers on soil packet that i can see anywhere apart from barcode....haha
For future reference what would you recommend for soil next time?

Alright new, don't really know whats available to you down there.if there's a grow shop , they'll know. Just a soil with no nutes or fertiliser in it..

It says it's general purpose, so it shouldn't be to bad.

There's a number of aussie growers joining here at the moment, might be worth tracking a few down in journals in progress. They might be able to tell you whats available.

One aussie 420 member is. ..Aussiebluethc, he has a popular journal in progress. .

If you wanna look at some outside growers..recommend
420 members... colamonster
Sphnx

Alright new, don't really know whats available to you down there.if there's a grow shop , they'll know. Just a soil with no nutes or fertiliser in it..

It says it's general purpose, so it shouldn't be to bad.

There's a number of aussie growers joining here at the moment, might be worth tracking a few down in journals in progress. They might be able to tell you whats available.

One aussie 420 member is. ..Aussiebluethc, he has a popular journal in progress. .

If you wanna look at some outside growers..recommend
420 members... colamonster
Sphnx
Awesome thanks heaps really appreciate all your help☺

Hey Smeghead, i got a ph soil tester today, soil is 5.5. One of the seedlings today has gotten worse with edges changing now?
a316a0d13a26cff7f3f943968e50e1d5.jpg

Good day new.
Yeah 5.5ph is a bit low, the soil is a little hot for that baby..

How are the other 2 ?..
If they are good it can't be to bad.

The only options for spotted girl are :
Run some plain water at 6.5-6.8 through the pot to raise the ph...although this might work, the soil still has fertiliser in it. So this still might make it to hot.

Other remedy is to gently changing the soil on the damaged one.. THere are videos that show u how to gently release the seedling from that soil and put it in an appropriate soil.sounds drastic but will save it.

It all depends how much fertiliser is in your soil.
When your plants get bigger they might be able to handle the amount of food in the soil and out grow the problem.
But if it gets to damaged before that you're better of changing the soil.

If the other 2 are good then leave them alone, just plain wster at 6.5.

Good day new.
Yeah 5.5ph is a bit low, the soil is a little hot for that baby..

How are the other 2 ?..
If they are good it can't be to bad.

The only options for spotted girl are :
Run some plain water at 6.5-6.8 through the pot to raise the ph...although this might work, the soil still has fertiliser in it. So this still might make it to hot.

Other remedy is to gently changing the soil on the damaged one.. THere are videos that show u how to gently release the seedling from that soil and put it in an appropriate soil.sounds drastic but will save it.

It all depends how much fertiliser is in your soil.
When your plants get bigger they might be able to handle the amount of food in the soil and out grow the problem.
But if it gets to damaged before that you're better of changing the soil.

If the other 2 are good then leave them alone, just plain wster at 6.5.
Thats the other really bad one and then the other one is ok, it might have one little speck showing on one leaf.
I asked about the soil today and that i was looking for one with no fertilisers etc and the guy actually said the one i got!?! when i explained that it states on site it has fertiliser he said that it only says that because it states on pack it MAY contain traces of fertilisers not that its been added to the soil. So definitely will try with plain water first then see tomorrow how they go.
Thanks again for all you help
c12955da7185e2641fc185b59d175b92.jpg

Back
Top Bottom