Help: Speed Controlling my 6" CanFan HO (RS6HO)

Bottled Cat

Ok, after doing some research (endlessly) I think I have come up with a few things that will control the speed of my fan. (I have tried rheostats, and things like the Speedster. They just cause the evil motor hum!)

1) VSC-DNe. Should throttle my fan with no hum at all?
2) A Variac. And I assume that this would work without a hum or problem as well?
3) Getting the Hunter 3 Speed switch to work. This is my cheapest option, and have heard other reports of it working without any humming. I just can't seem to get it to work... (wired correctly)

Anything you recommend over the other? The variac is AC/AC, so it should handle the fan just fine. The VSC-DNe looks like a great product, I'm just afraid that I will spend 80 dollars on something that still makes my fan motor hum or doesn't work at all. The Hunter 3 Speed would probably be perfect, but I haven't been able to test the speeds that it provides yet.

this thing works and it's only $20
Router Speed Control

harborfreight.com

I have the same thing, only sold by HTG, and it causes the bad motor hum. I've read that most centrifugal fans cannot be run on a rheostat/dimmer such as that controller because it will cause the motor to burn out.

EDIT: This is the one that I bought --- HTG Supply - Blower / Fan Speed Control

I have the same thing, only sold by HTG, and it causes the bad motor hum. I've read that most centrifugal fans cannot be run on a rheostat/dimmer such as that controller because it will cause the motor to burn out.

EDIT: This is the one that I bought --- HTG Supply - Blower / Fan Speed Control

shit I got that too. just never hooked it up. I guess I'll take it back now :thanks:

I just read another article that says it is not safe to use an AC rated variac to control an AC motor. I am assuming that using a variac could be potentially dangerous to use on my Can Fan? I was planning on buying the VSC-DNe, but I just want to make sure that it will work on my fan ABSOLUTELY, no motor wear, no motor buzzing, just want it to work. Can anyone help me out here?

I just read another article that says it is not safe to use an AC rated variac to control an AC motor. I am assuming that using a variac could be potentially dangerous to use on my Can Fan? I was planning on buying the VSC-DNe, but I just want to make sure that it will work on my fan ABSOLUTELY, no motor wear, no motor buzzing, just want it to work. Can anyone help me out here?

I'm actually re reading, and I believe it's only dangerous if you are adjusting the voltage of the variac outside the fans limits. As long as it is run at max fan voltage, or below, there should be no risk to fire or equipment damage.

I was looking at buying the same fan speed controller for a 6" vortex fan. Some factors that can lead to fan hum are the length of ducting, fan placement, and restrictions. Is anyone using the fan controller experiencing the same hum or potentially dangerous component wear to the fan? After looking at this post I"m concidering changing my order to the VSC-DNe.
C.A.P. Controllers - VSC-DNe - Variable Fan Speed Contoller Day/Night
I was concidering this option as it is basicly a speed controller and temp control in one. Any suggestions? I want to order as soon as possible

As always,

Wake~~n~~Bake

Hey I've got my sunleaves 6"ho on a 10A chinese variac that I had in storage. works great with no hum. i don't think it will hurt a good motor. i had horrible noise with the speedster on my fan. the freaking noise from my grow is too much...

Hi,
While I don't know specifically about controllers for the canfan, I do know some about motors, fans pump frequency controls etc.

AC motor speed is a function of line frequency and how many poles the motor has. USA line freq is 60 hertz or cycles per second.
The good house fans like Hunter that have multiple speed controls also have motors with several different windings which allow different numbers of poles to be used, giving several speeds nice an quite.
The canfans and other duct type fans cannot do this using a control like that.

Even the best variable frequency controls will whine or hum a little, some more than others. Some are real loud:(

An actual "variac" is a form of auto-transformer, kinda a cross between an transformer and a reostat.
A variac changes voltage, not frequency and is NOT a good choice for motor control, especially most fan type motors. Except for a few rare AC motor designs, motor speed control using variable voltage will only work with DC (direct current) motors.

Here is a question for you:
Why do you want to control the speed of your fan?
If you want to reduce airflow, then why not put an adjustable damper in the discharge side of the fans duct. In fact, you can put a three way duct fitting and an adjustable damper and it will work as a scrubber, air circulation in the room and still control vented airflow.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes :)
oldgardener

I used a 8" vortex on a refular house dimmer for 4 years and the guy I got it from used for 7 yesrs prior to that... always around 1/2 speed. After 11 years the poor fan died, (accually the cappacitor burned out and was fixed for 20 bucks and is noww still being used in a freinds garden, 11 years and counting :) ) When I replaced it I got a vortex 6" and
this thing works and it's only $20
Router Speed Control
Been going now 5 months with no issues.

Jonny

Stilleto,
Yeah, the house dimmers work by chopping the 60hz AC supply into pieces, which changes the duty cycle and can work with a lot of fan motors, but was it quiet? I mean, did you hear a whine or hum from the motor?
That's a real question, I'm interested in your opinion and experience with it.

The router speed control quote: "Works with any universal AC/DC brush-type motor"
Hand drills, routers etc have wire wound rotors with commutators and brushes (universal motors) and can be used with a controllers made for that purpose.

All those controls "Might" work with a fan motor, it's just a question of what you want to live with.

Heck, some folks grow sucessfully with just a CFL and a turkey pan reflector, diffrent strokes ya know.... not my way but it's all good :)

OG

I used a 8" vortex on a refular house dimmer for 4 years and the guy I got it from used for 7 yesrs prior to that... always around 1/2 speed. After 11 years the poor fan died, (accually the cappacitor burned out and was fixed for 20 bucks and is noww still being used in a freinds garden, 11 years and counting :) ) When I replaced it I got a vortex 6" and

Been going now 5 months with no issues.

Jonny

It is always nice to hear that the brand you are purchasing has a history of lasting I can only hope to get as much out of my vortex as you have.

Oldgardener, as far as noise... well I felt that the 8" was louder but I accually find both loud. My bedroom is right in next room and I could hear it alot.... BUT... I surrounded it with 4 old pillows and a quilt... now I cant hear it at all even standing next to it.

Jonny

Back
Top Bottom