Help/Suggestions with setup for 1st grow please.

Mike.0091

hey all. ive been contimplating whether to make a set up out of my closet or to convert the dresser inside my closet into a stealth grow box. no matter what i do it needs to be stealthy. and its lookin like it wud be better to use the dresser because im only gonna grow a few plants and it wud be much stealthier. the dresser is 2' 4" wide, 2' 2" high, & 1' 2" deep. i did some googling and found a 48 watt fluorescent with 4000 lumens that wud fit perfectly. the grow area on it is 2ft x 1ft which is perfect. ill be growing lowryder or lowryder 2 so i figure i can fit 2+ plants depending on how i arrange them and what kind of pots i use. id then line the inside of the dresser with mylar or a different reflective material. for ventilation id probably use an idea i read in a post, put 1 fan bringing air in on the bottom left corner of the back of the box and 1 for exhaust on the top left of it. then have one in there circulating the air if needed. my question is would this light do the job for the strain and set up id be using? and also if you have any other suggestions that would be great because this will be my first grow. thanks

They will grow, thats for sure. The issue is more light will equal better yeilds (to an extent, LR is certainly no big yeilder) and you will be happier with only growing the 2 plants you did. The other problem is that one or both plants can turn out male and then you have to start over. I would stick to the LR2, better yeilds and better potency.

4000 lums isn't really much, it will work, but the buds will be a little airy. think maybe you could get a couple in there? Maybe a bunch of CFL's? I think you could, and you could start adding up the watts and lums. It would give you better results.

Bagz :peace:

i think i cud fit 2. that wud be 96 watts and 8000 lumens. would i be able to fit in 2-4 plants? or would i want to just stick with 2 plants and get alot better density on the buds? also, any idea what the average ammount of bud per plant is on lowrdyer2? ive read different stuff. most say sumthin like 28-40 grams, sound right? Another Q is this, i was lookin at different strains on dope-seeds.com and i saw a nothern lights speacial from kc brains and it said that it was a small compact version of NL. reason why im lookin at those is because theyre quite a bit cheaper then lr2 and i dont have all that much money for this. would i be able to grow those until theyre like 1 ft and then start flowering so they have like another ft of space to grow while budding?

i think i cud fit 2. that wud be 96 watts and 8000 lumens. would i be able to fit in 2-4 plants? or would i want to just stick with 2 plants and get alot better density on the buds? also, any idea what the average ammount of bud per plant is on lowrdyer2? ive read different stuff. most say sumthin like 28-40 grams, sound right? Another Q is this, i was lookin at different strains on dope-seeds.com and i saw a nothern lights speacial from kc brains and it said that it was a small compact version of NL. reason why im lookin at those is because theyre quite a bit cheaper then lr2 and i dont have all that much money for this. would i be able to grow those until theyre like 1 ft and then start flowering so they have like another ft of space to grow while budding?

About an ounce per plant for LR is about right. . .and I think 4 may be pushing it a little. Depends oh everything works out in the cab. as far as NL, good plant for beginners, better potency than LR. . . and regaurdless of which strain you choose, there are methods to keep you babies low. . . Low Stress Training is a good one. I just posted something for LST in general cultivation. . Bagz Monthly August 2007 ( LST )

ok thanks alot for all the help. you guys have made things unbelievably easier on me lol. googling gets answers but every site has a different answer xD

ive never been sure on what youre suppose to do when you harvest. after the plant flowers and its done, what do you do? do you cut the whole plant and hang it up to dry and then trim the leaves and everything so youre left with bud? how long do you let it dry? and also, after you do that, does the plant regrow and do the cycle again? or do you just start over from seed again?

Harvesting is about preference IMO. . .we all seem to do it a little differently. . This is how I harvest. . .

I first remove all the big fan leaves while their still on the plant. I grab 3 paper bags. Line them next to each other on the floor. 1 will be for trash, 1 will be for trim and hash making material, and finally the last for manicured buds. So like I was saying, I remove the big fans while still potted, and trash them. I begin to remove the lower growth these are smaller buds and such. . clip them at the bottom of the branch, I'll make a quick determination if they would be better suited for my hash making or not. If not, I begin to cut the trim leaves, ( these are the leaves that are covered in crystals and usually abut half way in the bud itself. ) these will go in the hash making bag. I continue to do this working my way up the plant, clipping branches till the buds are really close to the main stem, and into the cola. Its at this point I clip the plant at soil level. I then hang this upside down in front of me about chest level. I do this because towards the top you will find smaller fan leaves. The leaves are pulled down by gravity and expose their connections to the main stem for easy removal. Then I move to the trim leaves, like before. You won't be able to remove these close to the stem, so just cut them down to the bud and no further. with the foliage out of the way, we can see where the cola begins. I clip the manicured buds up to this point. ( you'll be able to determine this because you won't be able to get at the base of the buds any more. . ) then cut the cola off the stem.

Throw the trash out. close and fold the trim and manicured bud bags. This begins the drying phase. The bags slow down the drying process, which is what you want. The slow drying allows for the chlorophyll to break down. The slower the dry, the better the taste will be. Everyday I open these bags for about 1/2 hour, to let out some of the moisture thats been released. I do this for about a week. You don't want the buds to get crispy though so it could take less time. At the end of the week, I take the material and place into my curing jars and the trim and such go into the freezer for later hash making.

Curing will further break down any residual chlorophyll, and make the smoke smoother. Also will increase the potency of your smoke over time. As with the bags, open these jars for a bit each day to let out the gases that have been building up. You'll need to do this for about a week, before you can just leave the buds in the jars without opening them daily. Need to get rid of the moisture first, so you won't get bud molds. Now the longer you cure the better, but at 5 days of cure, I start tasting. .lol

Everyone has gotten their methods for this, and a lot of it is preference. Just keep in mind that slow drying is best. And curing should be in your plans.

wow. without asking that question and then getting that very clear and detailed answer, i wud have for sure fucked up my crop lol. thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom