Help trimming short bushy plant

I'm confused. So when you top you noticed a huge delay but not fimmed? My only hesitation to not fimming all plants is the extra delay where the plant decides what it wants to do. But that too may be in my head as I fimmed 2 autos and I wish I did the other 2 to be honest

Yeah weird right ? I have only ever been to successfully, fimm ONE plant out of all of my attempts and that was last grow. She grew naturally after that like a quad lined plant , only fuller maybe?

I'm inexperienced please understand I am not picking a side , I just know from my limited observations , when I have topped a plant I have run into more probs with less yield vs. A pinch, or lst, or fimm.

Right now I am attempting to curl one into a circle and just expose all the available bud sites that the container Will allow.
could be a disaster
..but I'm here to share, learn, and grow !

Yeah weird right ? I have only ever been to successfully, fimm ONE plant out of all of my attempts and that was last grow. She grew naturally after that like a quad lined plant , only fuller maybe?

I'm inexperienced please understand I am not picking a side , I just know from my limited observations , when I have topped a plant I have run into more probs with less yield vs. A pinch, or lst, or fimm.

Right now I am attempting to curl one into a circle and just expose all the available bud sites that the container Will allow.
could be a disaster
..but I'm here to share, learn, and grow !

It is a foreign concept to me. When you top, if you give the to be decapitated section enough time to grow the lower two sites should already be developing and they are untouched in the process. Check out my journal in my signature if you are interested in topping, fimming and training. I'm wrapping one around a large cooler just like what you are talking about. Skip forward to see. Spoiler alert it is a slow process on my fluxeing project and it isn't too far in yet

Hey thanks for this @BeanTownFan420
They look like completely different beans even ...same strain?
That's pretty telling ..
one on the bottom looks like it has 8 more weeks to go! :morenutes:

Some strains push out tons of branches, so much so that simply bending the main shoot a few times will give you an even canopy. Some strains want to push out one main bud with a few on the sides. There's no wrong way, just whatever works best for you.
My mangoes want to push out lots and lots of branches and bouquet clusters of bud...but my northen lights is happy to push one main cola...BUT of i top her she'll make two...BUUUT if i train them sideways they'll shoot out dozens of stems and bud sites! And then you have pure sativas that want to grow 20' tall like bamboo which if you leave them be will create quite a situation indoors....like the time i tried growing thai in a small space eek!

Clearly the topped one has more quality tops at the same size as the not topped plant yield was doubled.

If they were the same strain I would have zero doubt ...i am very curious for someone to do a journal with 2 cuttings of the same plant , one trained and lst'd , and the other topped to see whats the exact difference in yield/ time ...like , if you top a plant but it takes twice as long as one not topped , than is that delayed increased yield perceived as more successful ? Or if you did quick runs of a see of green, would that be more beneficial ..anyways , it's too damn early and i need coffee hahaha. ...namaste ..thanks for sharing your pics Bean Town! :)

I left a plant untopped once and it's the most ever yielded from any topped plant I have grown, still can't beat my target of 5.1oz from an untapped plant and my topped plants yield around 3-4.

The only reason I top now for is just so it's easy to position branches in net frames for support but I do believe in the non too method works best, @Cultivator told me the same too, you tend to get a lot more branches of you just low stress train the main stem over, I will find my journal and see what the outcome difference is.

Topping a plant may delay but you double yield from the two full size colas or more you add but tying down can and does have the same effect.

Yield = dry weight / time

Time is part of the equation, anytime you delay that hurts yields. I can do 7-8 zips dried in the can un-topped plants every 50-60 days.

Training is a thing. Works great. Here's an example of a cola that was super-cropped on the trim table. Without topping we can grow more weed. Its true.

I'm confused. So when you top you noticed a huge delay but not fimmed? My only hesitation to not fimming all plants is the extra delay where the plant decides what it wants to do. But that too may be in my head as I fimmed 2 autos and I wish I did the other 2 to be honest

You're better off leaving the plant grow naturally specially new grower AND auto plants. Auto plants grown in soil without fertilizer don't get big so why slow down the process you end up with a plant thats 40 gms dry?? Whats the point?

@Modest grower you should just grow out some plants without reading all the stoner bs that goes with cannabis. Its a plant just like any other plant. A lot of people like to futz around with the cannabis plant, fiddle, pinch, take off leaves lots of silly nonsense. Its a plant and a wild plant at that, just let it grow.

Trust me when I say you will have your hands full without doing all that un needed stuff.

Plants don't like to be handled or touched plucked whatever. They actually have ways to combat pests.

Say if you're taking off leaves, the plant will make its leaves taste bad, some plants can even make the leaves make animals that are eating them sick. food for thought. Less is more.

Here is what the white widow that I fimmed a couple weeks looks like.
I fimmed the bushy Obi Wan last night.
Thanks for all the information this post has stirred up

Oops here are the pics

Attachments

• 20200208_115224.jpg
    20200208_115224.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200208_115201.jpg
    20200208_115201.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 44
I only grow my 4 legal plants. So I want to get the best yield possible. I top multiple times usually 3 times and LST I usually average around 8 oz pet plant. I usually veg for about 8 weeks. My experience is that fimming takes longer to recover than topping.IMG_20190722_160322.jpgIMG_20190722_160313.jpg

Yeah I’ve never vegged longer than 60 days in hydro regardless of whatever I’ve done to the plant
I have found some strains receptive to topping , training, others not so much . A legit fimming is a talent . Lots appear to be but in all of my attempts I will only claim to have done it successfully ONCE and she was a beast !!

Someone , LONG ago put the fear of god into me when they assured me all of my plants will triple in size once flipped .. so .. the morale of the story to each their own right ? ❤️

Back
Top Bottom