Help With First Grow Harvest

zurple

I am at day 64 of flowering and I believe we are getting close. I have 2 plants of 2 different unknown strains started a week apart in veg, but same length of time in flower.

You can see some pictures I posted this morning in my grow journal and setup is also shown in my signature.

I am at 1600ppm and staying at 5.8 - 6.1ph. Tent humidity at 40%

I have read conflicting information during my search for harvesting. Everything from 36 hours in the dark and flushing or not and etc.

On plant 1 there are milky trichomes and they are starting to curl, milky but no amber. On the 2nd plant is very milky and several said she should be ready to chop, even without the amber. The amber trichome debate is even more confusion.

This is my first time growing and it has been easy and fun. My main goal with this bagseed was to do a test run from start to finish before I use seeds that I purchased.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I have to go dark before harvest? Having 2 plants without an alternate location makes this a challenge, unless they're both ready.
  2. My ppm is 1600, so should I taper it off, or just use ph'd water only to force them to use their stored energy? I may chop this weekend.
  3. Should I wet trim or dry trim as a first timer? I was going to remove all the large stuff, dry it, then clean it up dry.
I know this information is out there, but it's conflicting and thus making it a challenge. My assumption is that everyone does it different and there's really no wrong way if the plants are ready.

Real exciting times, your first harvest. The dark cycle before harvest and cutting out the nutes are to me a shock therapy that tells the plant time is up so finish now or not at all, I do both. The trimming is a matter of preference. You will have to try both ways to see which you like. Myself , I like dry trimming, those frosty sugar leaves and popcorn buds are ready for some infusion at this point.

Do an experiment. Put one in a dark room for almost 2 days. Leave the other in the tent, and then chop them both down, and hang them in the tent... it’s an idea... shrugs it off lol :thumb:
I have been considering that. Great minds think alike.

Real exciting times, your first harvest. The dark cycle before harvest and cutting out the nutes are to me a shock therapy that tells the plant time is up so finish now or not at all, I do both. The trimming is a matter of preference. You will have to try both ways to see which you like. Myself , I like dry trimming, those frosty sugar leaves and popcorn buds are ready for some infusion at this point.
Definitely! I have to make oil and butter with the scraps.

Legend has it that 24-36 hours of darkness prior to chop forces out more resin in preparation to harvest.
Also the topic of flushing is an even more debated practice. I used to flush 2 weeks prior to harvest and just give straight water for the remainder of the time but I have since tried it by flushing 2 weeks prior to harvest then resume regular feeding routine until chop. I find there is no difference in the smoke either method. I now just flush them really good and follow up with a full feeding immediately after the flush, and continue the regular feeding schedule until the dark period prior to chop.
I have not yet "seen" the results of the dark period but it's such a simple task I do it based upon the hype.

I was thinking about doing water only and darkness for 36 hours. I'm growing dwc and don't require a long flushing.
Legend has it that 24-36 hours of darkness prior to chop forces out more resin in preparation to harvest.
Also the topic of flushing is an even more debated practice. I used to flush 2 weeks prior to harvest and just give straight water for the remainder of the time but I have since tried it by flushing 2 weeks prior to harvest then resume regular feeding routine until chop. I find there is no difference in the smoke either method. I now just flush them really good and follow up with a full feeding immediately after the flush, and continue the regular feeding schedule until the dark period prior to chop.
I have not yet "seen" the results of the dark period but it's such a simple task I do it based upon the hype.

I thought the same thing, that the dark period was hype, but according to some people that are way more experienced than I it isn't hype. I don't think it makes more trichomes, I think it has something to do with the chemical composition of the trichomes.
The flushing thing im not sold on. But not watering going into the dark period then harvest will start the plant on it's way to drying out quicker. Good in humid climates, but my humidity is so low now I want the moisture in the plant.

I thought the same thing, that the dark period was hype, but according to some people that are way more experienced than I it isn't hype. I don't think it makes more trichomes, I think it has something to do with the chemical composition of the trichomes.
The flushing thing im not sold on. But not watering going into the dark period then harvest will start the plant on it's way to drying out quicker. Good in humid climates, but my humidity is so low now I want the moisture in the plant.
I would only be giving them ph balanced water only, no nutrients, as this is hydro.

Fatter, but no amber.

20191113_052517.jpg

If you can physically see the buds swelling then please no, don't cut yet.
I am not certain that I can see it to be honest. Monday will be week 10, so we are almost 70 days in flower.

I do the dark for couple days before chop if possible but if not I simply dont bother. The nutes flush I agree and practice the idea of flushing when I know things are in the window within a week or 2 of harvest but I dont starve the plant Ill still feed atleast half strength. Ive read enough and seen first hand that 2 week starving is not a benifit to me or the plant. I think starving will ripen them quicker in theory but I believe in letting nature run its course. Lots of opinions and options definitely experiment were growing weeds they’ll survive!!
Happy 420!!
:yahoo:

Monday will be week 10, so we are almost 70 days in flower.
Ignore the calendar and trust your eyes...you will know when to harvest...one of the major mistakes I made (repeatedly) was harvesting early...you have invested all the love and time to this point, and each day you allow her will pay exponentially in a superior harvest.

My other mistakes were improper drying and curing, and that is still a challenge (and an art). I cut the major branches, then trim the major fans. (I bud wash as well) Then I hang those branches in a cool, dark, dryish (40-60% RH) space and let them dry for a week. Then I trim buds off the stems and let them dry in same spot for another week. The art is to not over or under dry...in a perfect world you would have a RH controlled room @ 60-65% for the whole process. If you jar them when they are too wet, they smell like ammonia...too dry and they are hay...

As far as the darkness before harvest, consider that all outdoor plants are just harvested...and they are fine :) Don't take away any time under the lights (now) for the swap into darkness.

:goodluck:

I do the dark for couple days before chop if possible but if not I simply dont bother. The nutes flush I agree and practice the idea of flushing when I know things are in the window within a week or 2 of harvest but I dont starve the plant Ill still feed atleast half strength. Ive read enough and seen first hand that 2 week starving is not a benifit to me or the plant. I think starving will ripen them quicker in theory but I believe in letting nature run its course. Lots of opinions and options definitely experiment were growing weeds they’ll survive!!
Happy 420!!
:yahoo:
There's so much conflicting information online .

They look frosty! Did you look at them through a loupe? At this point every day added is beneficial....they certainly don't look past harvest :)
Just cloudy trichomes when I look.

Back
Top Bottom