help with harshness please! is it my strain or am i missing some tricks

SmokingBowl

ok this is regarding last years outdoor harvest and i'm trying to make my next one better. i used bag-seed but it was seeds i produced from the previous years outdoor grow which was a little harsh but way less than this grow.

i started my plants in a gallon or two of compost then moved them out to the wild, no fertilizers were used and the plants looked big and healthy from start to finish, for the most part. the leaves all turned yellow/orange and other pretty fall colors before harvest and the buds look and smell great. i didn't flush the plants or anything like that. plants were cured properly and since i harvested 10mo ago and the bud is still harsh i think it was not a curing/drying problem. i also had plants in several quite different spots/soils all with the same issue
\ the bag appeal of the stuff is great and the first toke is excellent but the rest of the bowl is a lot less enjoyable (its really bad actually), i have plenty of buds but i'm buying a friends indoor to supplement because it tastes so damn good and tastes good till the last hit

what do you 420 peeps think about my problem? anyone ever experienced the same thing? sorry no photos im gona get a camera soon but i wouldnt know what good a pic of the bud would do, it looks pretty damn good like i said.

thanks for replying labexperiment! my first reply as im a new member! as soon as i get a camera i will start a grow journal for my 12 outdoor girls this year hope we can avoid harshness. i bought some bloom nutes from the hydro store and carboload for taste, i also got a loupe so i can pick them when they are perfect. i guess if its still to harsh for me i will get some real strains and avoid my manure compost in favor of tried and true medium like happy frog or ff ocean forest or something.

I would stay with the manure and amend it with other vegetable scraps or garden store bought supplements like bat guano and bone meal ect.

COorganics has a thread, not to mention all the other threads on 420 regarding this same issue. I would have thought that using manure would have added to the quality of the smoke. My guess would be the strain you are growing.

Its most likey the soil it was planted in and/or the no flush.

He was growing outdoors so maybe the soil if grown in a piney area, but he used no nutrients except what was in the soil, so I do not believe a flush is necessary. Just my opinion.

Three factors influence that: soil, sun and rain. If you have good soil, but not enough sun and rain, your bud will taste poorly. If you have a lot of sun, but no rain and poor soil, it's gonna be better, but still far from excellent. The best outdoor bud you get really from middle summer when you force it under heavy sun and have them in complete organic fully mineralized soil. But if your September and early October are not really rainy and your soil is good, you should be getting quite good bud anyway.

hmm interesting conradino123. maybe more sun is the key, my harvest was october. idk about forcing buds early seems like too much work but getting an early strain i could get buds under longer days. i also just found doc buds bud washing thread it sounded interesting and had a lot of good reviews

not piney soil, i had in 3 spots a cornfeild, a brush/woods hillside (south) and on the east edge of some woods in a compost pile. the ones in the cornfeild were the worst and were hit bad by corn borers. the ones on the south hill had the best orange leaves at harvest and tasted a bit better. the ones in the compost pile yielded the best, i got a pound per plant (4plants) they were still green at harvest i thought maybe nitrogen abundance.

i thought maybe nitrogen abundance.

Yeas, that will spoil the taste definitely, so you need to really put them in ready enriched soil very early, so they can eat the reserves throughout the grow, which you'll always see from yellowing of bottom leaves around July/August if everything is fine. I fertilize very little after soil has been prepared, very occasional teas and bat guano+powdered egg shells+microbial and fungal incoulant around late July. Couple of my plants look like this now.

Trainwreck
trw51.jpg

Orient Express
oe13.jpg

L.A. Confidential
la214.jpg

well there's your problem; you let it dry out, that is why it tastes harsh, you should have got it into jars to sweat out the remaining moisture evenly through the buds. drying only takes like 6 or 7 days, not 3 months :Namaste:

i guess ill try the jar method for curing next time. gona need some big jars. i just got a new camera today nixon L830 played with the macro function and got some pics of this bud in question. next i will start a grow journal of my outdoor this year i hope you all come check it out!! im waiting on mac osx maverics to download right now so i can install the nikon app to get these pics onto my computer. wish me luck

dried in my attic. i left the leaves on and let it hang for like 3 months.

Oh man, apparently that's the source of your problem. You need to dry your buds, but only so they can lose enough water. You should be left with around 10% humidity in the end, so not more than 7 days. With my room temps around 5 is usually enough. Indicas need longer drying, sativas shorter one. Then you need to cure your stash by putting it in jars and let it breathe a lot, like few hours a day first, and then respectfully less and less. This will change aroma of your budz with time, but will preserve the essential terpene profile, which is what you're after!

CO Finest uses a store bought stainless steel tub with a lid that keeps the humidity at 62% perfectly, exactly where cannabis should be when cured and stored properly. Sorry I do not remember the name of the product. Oh and it uses some pad to control the RH.

Back
Top Bottom