Help with heat: 5x6x7 Basement Grow

g35driver

Phase:
I am currently 3 wks into an all organic,5g bucket grow in flowering.

Closet is in basement of my house and is 5'x6'7'. Closet where I am growing has 1 window that I took out,walls painted flat white.I Covered the window with tiny black cage on outside,then black mesh,to plywood (for light tight seal).

Room Plan:
The window has 1- 6'' hole w/flange and "y connector" for cooling the 600w cooltube MH light and exhaust duct coming from 4'' inline fan w/reducer that sits on top of my can filter (the filter stands uprite in corner of room,not in ceiling.). 1 end of duct work is coming from filter-inline fan-to exhaust outside. The other end of connector is ducted strait to light cooltube -duct to squirrel blower located in ceiling of grow room above your head as you walk in.(opposite end of exhaust hole)

I sealed all holes up besides under the door where a 1/2'' gap lies between the bottom of door and concrete floor. This gap is covered with door sweep now to block light. I currently have a dehumidifier running when neccesary, 1 oscillating fan above canopy, and 2 small fans below canopy blowing up toward the light. Now, my problem is the heat. Room averages 45-50% humidity but the temperatures run as low as 70F up to 95F. I am running 12/12. Lights on at night and off during daytime. What do you guys have in mind for cooling my basement closet down? I was thinking bumping up to a bigger inline fan/filter combo or just fan? also, cutting 2 small holes in window for ventilation (obviously,not allowing light in of course).Or, re-position my fan/filter to the ceiling directly above the light/hood....the girls are doing great but slow going due to heat I assume.
Please kill me with questions or throw ideas at me. thanks guys.

Re: Help with heat: 5x6x7 BASEMENT grow.

Just to add a little help in this equation, I am willing to remove and or build anything to fix this reaccuring problem. Thanks again

Re: Help with heat: 5x6x7 BASEMENT grow.

Thanks JJ...I am uploading some pics soon.

Room Plan:
The window has 1- 6'' hole w/flange and "y connector" for cooling the 600w cooltube MH/HPS light and for exhaust. exhaust begins @ 4'' inline fan w/reducer that sits on top of my can filter (the filter stands uprite in corner of room,not in ceiling.). and 6'' duct connects to "y connector" flange in window.
IMG_048315.JPG

Cooling of the hps bulb
begins at the squirel blower in ceiling by door -duct-cooltube -duct-"y connector" flange.

IMG_048419.JPG

I sealed all holes up besides under the door where a 1/2'' gap lies between the bottom of door and concrete floor. This gap is covered with door sweep now to block light. I currently have a dehumidifier running when neccesary, 1 oscillating fan above canopy, and 2 small fans below canopy blowing up toward the light.

PROBLEM:

My problem is the heat. Room averages 45-50% humidity but the temperatures run as low as 70F up to 95F. I am running 12/12. Lights on at night and off during daytime. What do you guys have in mind for cooling my basement closet down? I was thinking bumping up to a bigger inline fan/filter combo or just fan? also, cutting 2 small holes in window for ventilation (obviously,not allowing light in of course).Or, re-position my fan/filter to the ceiling directly above the light/hood....the girls are doing great but slow going due to heat I assume.

IMG_045919.JPG

Please kill me with questions or throw ideas at me. thanks guys.

ok i am tired and just gave it my 110% ...whatchya think? help me

Hey man, I'm a noob and I see this thread isn't overly new so hopefully you've got your heat issue resolved by now! I just wanted to chime in and offer a couple of suggestions from 'captain obvious'...

Ventilation is key as you know... it's key for temp control as well as for the plants to have a fresh supply of CO2 and cool air. From what you've described you've got no fresh air intake. The only space was a 1/2" gap under the door which may suffice HOWEVER you also blocked that too with a door sweep!

You've effectively managed to seal the space off which is a good thing, however you haven't accounted for any air intake. This not only suffocates the plants with stale air and causes unnecessary temp issues, but it also puts extra strain on your fan reducing it's life. Pumping air out creates a negative pressure in your space which is what you want, but you don't want to create a vacuum! For every cubic foot of air you move out, you need to replace with a cubic foot of air coming in from somewhere else.

Heat rises.. but you knew that. So I don't understand why I see builds where people put there air intake/can on the floor! That sucker should be way up high above the lights sucking all of that hot air right out of the room! You've got it connected in the correct order (intake/can - fan - tubing - light - tubing - outside) but get that can off the floor. Any little cool air that has managed to sneak in under your door is being sucked up immediately and whisked out of the room leaving the hot stale air up higher just sitting around.

You always want your air intake to be coming into your grow space at the bottom... this keeps the plants cooler, the res (if using one and it's in the space) or buckets cooler, and it washes cooler CO2 rich air over the leaves. Your can should be mounted nice and high to suck the hottest air which has risen to the ceiling out of the room. Just make sure you've got a functional / dedicated place fresh/cooler air can enter your space. Fresh is a relative term, being in the basement, cool air along the floor of the concrete slab is probably a nice cool temp for the plants.

If you're concerned about light or sound for the air intake, build a baffle; something like this:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/att...86886t-how-small-can-live-room-baffle-box.jpg

One last thing, you could probably have a couple of those small fans in your room to help move air around. This keeps CO2 rich air passing over the leaves and prevents hot-spots as well as evenly distributes fresh air coming in.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, I would mount that can/filter in place at the tip top point in the room. Because you are running a vent out that first pulls through the can to the light, it will suck the ambient hot air in and out better up high... Also you could add another can simply for exhaust and add more air pulling out of the room.

Find a place that junks cpu's and go get like 15-20 heat sinks ( I like the ones from the apple G4) and mount them onto the light's hood. Then a simple fan blowing over the light hood will cool off the cover while it runs,

From the other room you could add in a galvanized 2 inch pipe that pulls air from the floor of another part of the basement, into the room. I saw this done with 2, 4 inch cpu fans and some duct tape one time... worked great. The pipe is on the floor, stays cold like the basement and the air it pull in is cool.

Back
Top Bottom