Question: I am using a 600w LED, my LUX reading is 22,000, which converted to approx. 650umol. Will that work for 2 ladies in Veg. & Flower? And at what height is preferred for both.
When you say 600 watts, Is that what it says on the box the lights came in or is that actual watts draw from the wall. My led lights (see sig below) draw 610 watts from the wall and I can keep my plants 5 inches away all day long. I have no lux or umol info on my lights.
20200112_111917[1].jpg

Height is used with traditional lights to control the intensity at the canopy. During flower you want at least a PPFD of 750 preferably between 900-1000 µmol/m2 * s. Below 750 you will get poor harvests. That intensity is required for all the plants in flower. As I don't know what light you are using, or the size of your plants, I can't say whether you have enough light.
I am using a 600w LED by
Height is used with traditional lights to control the intensity at the canopy. During flower you want at least a PPFD of 750 preferably between 900-1000 µmol/m2 * s. Below 750 you will get poor harvests. That intensity is required for all the plants in flower. As I don't know what light you are using, or the size of your plants, I can't say whether you have enough light.
I am using a 600w LED by FSG-TEK, full spectrum, on week old seedlings that are starting their 2nd set of mature leaves. The height is at 12inches from leaf top, using amended soil, on a 24hr light cycle. As I stated the lux reading is from 24,000 to 32,000lux, which converts to around 700+ umol, please advise.

When you say 600 watts, Is that what it says on the box the lights came in or is that actual watts draw from the wall. My led lights (see sig below) draw 610 watts from the wall and I can keep my plants 5 inches away all day long. I have no lux or umol info on my lights.
20200112_111917[1].jpg
The light was from Amazon, stated 600w output, I measured the lux reading from my cellphone app. And used a conversion app to get the umol reading.

I am using a 600w LED by

I am using a 600w LED by FSG-TEK, full spectrum, on week old seedlings that are starting their 2nd set of mature leaves. The height is at 12inches from leaf top, using amended soil, on a 24hr light cycle. As I stated the lux reading is from 24,000 to 32,000lux, which converts to around 700+ umol, please advise.
Your light is 110 watts written right in the description. You need more lights and with cooling fans, That also sucks watts from the wall so even a kill a watt meter will not be able to accurately tell you how many watts the light is. I have a Viparspectra par 600 that only draws 280 watts or so. link to what I have With built in fans I bet you can keep your plant 2 inches away.

I am using a 600w LED by

I looked up your light on the Canadian Amazon light. They don't have a PAR map, but they do give values under the center of the light. At 12" they claim 1075µmol/m2*s. This is good for flowering. One foot away, along the length of the light, this drops to about 385µmol/m2*s. You can flower two plants under it, but it will take a little more effort. Turn your pots 90° every day.

The light draws 105-110W from the wall. I think it will be barely adequate for 1' x 2.5' while flowering. We need at least 30W / sq ft from the best lights on the market. This is not one of them, and you'll need 45W / sq ft or more to get similar results.

I looked up your light on the Canadian Amazon light. They don't have a PAR map, but they do give values under the center of the light. At 12" they claim 1075µmol/m2*s. This is good for lowering. one foot away, along the length of the light, this drops to about 385µmol/m2*s. You can flower two plants under it, but it will take a little more effort. Turn your pots 90° every day.

The light draws 105-110W from the wall. I think it will be barely adequate for 1' x 2.5' while flowering. We need at least 30W / sq ft from the best lights on the market. This is not one of them, and you'll need 45W / sq ft or more to get similar results.
I lowered the light to 12inches and the reading is 38,500 lux. I will add a compact florescent to the mix, thanks for the info.

The light was from Amazon, stated 600w output, I measured the lux reading from my cellphone app. And used a conversion app to get the umol reading.
You need to be careful with the Lux <-> PAR conversions. Different spectra have different conversion factors. The readings you get from a Lux meter will also vary with the spectrum. I can't post the link, but googling "convert lux to ppfd online calculator" will get you to waveformlighting's site that hosts it. It does not have conversions for 'blurples' as that depends on what LEDs the manufacturer chooses to use.

Just for giggles, I put a lux meter on my phone and at 1 foot under my home made LED's it says 60,000 and at 3 inches 180,000

For the same reasons, I checked mine. At 12" the Mars Hydro TSW-2000 reads 111,000 Lux, and my DIY reads 84,000 Lux. The DIY is using 80CRI 3000°K COBS, so the PPFD is somewhere around 1600. The Mars Hydro is 3693°K, with a CRI of 76.9, so its PPFD is around 1760. I had better start paying attention. These values are too high for my environment. I think I'll get a quantum meter when I get my tax refund. :idea: I wonder if there's a market for a mobile light tester.:hmmmm::hmmmm:

For the same reasons, I checked mine. At 12" the Mars Hydro TSW-2000 reads 111,000 Lux, and my DIY reads 84,000 Lux. The DIY is using 80CRI 3000°K COBS, so the PPFD is somewhere around 1600. The Mars Hydro is 3693°K, with a CRI of 76.9, so its PPFD is around 1760. I had better start paying attention. These values are too high for my environment. I think I'll get a quantum meter when I get my tax refund. :idea: I wonder if there's a market for a mobile light tester.:hmmmm::hmmmm:

Most certainly, everyone who has a light likes to at least make sure the maker's claims are correct, and with this rise in white label brands, you betcha that there is a market, if you got the skills to do it, well then supply will meet demand, if its accurate. Would you rather pay like 200€ for a par meter or 2€ for a app that is at least 99% on point in PPFD readings?
I sure as hell would go for the app.

Most certainly, everyone who has a light likes to at least make sure the maker's claims are correct, and with this rise in white label brands, you betcha that there is a market, if you got the skills to do it, well then supply will meet demand, if its accurate. Would you rather pay like 200€ for a par meter or 2€ for a app that is at least 99% on point in PPFD readings?

The Hydrofarm quantum meter is currently selling for 135€, but I understand what you are saying. The app is on point ONLY for white light. The closer the spectrum is to sunlight the more accurate it is.

LED and COB fixtures use discrete wavelengths. White LEDs and COBs use a mix of diodes to approximate sunlight. There are peaks and valleys in the spectra that sunlight does not have. This is more evident in the 'blurple' lights that have little to no coverage in the green and yellow wavelengths. The sensors in cameras usually have three sensors per pixel for red, blue, and green. They only detect a relatively narrow band of wavelengths. These sensors cannot measure all the wavelengths required to accurately determine PAR values (within 5%).

You can measure PAR with a good degree of accuracy for a specific light, provided the app is calibrated for that light. nA accurate quantum (PAR) meter is required for this. The APP will need to be re-calibrated regularly to account for wavelength changes in the light, and your camera due to aging.

I agree 100%, what are the first signs of leaf burn?

I agree 100%, what are the first signs of leaf burn?

I never got leaf burn, but you always want to aim for healty happy looking leaves pointing upwards, if they have been pointing down for a couple of waterings then there is something that you could do to improve their situation.
If you notices too much difference from the bottom part of the plant to the top end, and they are unhealty just at the top, you probably are burning them with too much light, just care for the plant, like if you see some1 you care about limping you're probably gonna ask, what happened to your leg? You should see a doctor.
In this situation u are the friend asking whats wrong, it won't tell you so basically you have to be the doctor aswell, the better u are at it the better the outcome. Nearly all the information is online, and it wont take 6 years of med school to learn it, altho you can take advantage of thst knowledge for as long as u grow, might be worth to study it.
happy growing happy toking
P.s. im sure some1 will explain the first signs of leaf burn to you

Back
Top Bottom