Help with res and tap water

Bowtie

420 Member
I've been reading and reading and reading, and I have a question.
If a person were to have a large single res for multiple plants, for round numbers let's say 150 gal res, can this be filled with tap city water?
I'm reading a lot about chlorine hurting roots.
And let's say one wanted to change the res between veg and bloom to create a new nute bath, what could be done to reduce stress to the roots if tap water is really the best option to get 150 gallons into the res?
I can't find anything that addresses something like this.

Please lmk suggestions

Thank you
Regards
Bowtie

Tap water is o.k. if that's your last resort. The chlorine is a gas and left open, say 48 hours or so and that will dissipate into the air. Now the real culprit is the total dissolved solids (TDS) in the water. Good in small amounts, but that's usually not the norm in city water. Your best bet is R/O water from the store or buying a R/O system for your house. Couple hundred bucks and you're good to go.:goodluck:

AzLaker
:cool:

I have been using tap water in DWC without any problems. Just allow the water to sit at least 24 hours before using it.

You can let the water sit 24 hours when creating the res, ( I've read conflicting reports on if 24 hours is sufficient for 150 gallons btw)
But to change water half way through the run between veg and bloom, this is not possible. All the roots are sitting in the res as it's DWC.
In years past I noticed roots turned brown after a water change, and I'm seeing articles and videos that it is the chlorine shocking and hurting them.

I use a heavy duty trash can drilled a whole for float valve hooked it up to 1/4 inch line to sink cold line put four cola air stones in it with a 6 line manifold to one air pump, then added a water pump with a 5/8 hose to a 2 way hose splitter. One side to a hose I can use for filling bottles or hand feed with, the other side to a drip system. Then got a remote power plug on off switch from ace hardware plugged water pump into that so I can carry remote and turn water on or off if needed. I have been using that for many years without any problems what so even.

I use a heavy duty trash can drilled a whole for float valve hooked it up to 1/4 inch line to sink cold line put four cola air stones in it with a 6 line manifold to one air pump, then added a water pump with a 5/8 hose to a 2 way hose splitter. One side to a hose I can use for filling bottles or hand feed with, the other side to a drip system. Then got a remote power plug on off switch from ace hardware plugged water pump into that so I can carry remote and turn water on or off if needed. I have been using that for many years without any problems what so even.

That's a good idea, even just filling two cans a few days prior to nute change.
I'll look into that.

If your really worried about it the just invest in a Ultraviolet water sterilizer purification system. Run around 150-250$ and no waste of water like r/o system.

If you would like I can drop a link to a video I made to see what I am talking about. or go to my YT channel search Feed System. That is my video name

I like using my tap water, but the ph is about 7.3 so I use quite a bit of ph down for even my 5 gallon buckets to get it between 5.5-6.0

From what I'm reading, the chlorine in tap water kills the good bacteria on the root system and can create certain types of root issues and root rot.
This, combined with shocking the root system enough it can cause lockout.

Here's my current DWC grow. I change the res once a week using tap water.
1588121232448.png

You've never had an issue with roots a day or two after a change?
Do you run probiotics?
Besides nutes, any water control additives like UC roots?

You've never had an issue with roots a day or two after a change?
Do you run probiotics?
Besides nutes, any water control additives like UC roots?
I had a small mag def when she was about 2 weeks old. Once I upped the dose the problem corrected itself. I let the tap sit 24 hours, I use Fox Farm nutrients, cal-mag, hydroguard and that's it.

I had a small mag def when she was about 2 weeks old. Once I upped the dose the problem corrected itself. I let the tap sit 24 hours, I use Fox Farm nutrients, cal-mag, hydroguard and that's it.

I'll look into the hydroguard, but again my problem is when I change res.

I guess I have to find a way to hold 150 gallons in a seperate container to let it sit out for a day or two, then pump it into the res.
Where as you have the 5 gal bucket, I should consider individual buckets

I'll look into the hydroguard, but again my problem is when I change res.

I guess I have to find a way to hold 150 gallons in a seperate container to let it sit out for a day or two, then pump it into the res.
Where as you have the 5 gal bucket, I should consider individual buckets
Look into an R.O water system.

@BubbleBucketz why let it sit for 24 hours before using it?
Allows the chlorine to be removed from the water. Something I have always done anyways. I fill a ton of 5 gallon jugs up in the start of the week and just keep rotating.

let it sit before lowering ph or adding nutes?

Back
Top Bottom