Help with yellowing seedlings growing slowly

0r1g1N3w

420 Member
Hello friends and fellow Growers. I'm finally turning myself in. I need your help and advice! I've been trying my very first indoor grow since January and have gone through a few seeds. I'm proud to say that I am a germination pro and have been able to successfully germinate 11 out of 12 seeds. Unfortunately my hang-up is I cannot get a successful seedling stage out of any of my little lovely plants. The first batch I realized I had them in too large of a pot. 5 gallons. Big no no. They didn't grow up they grew down. The Taproot was pretty long. After about two weeks the little seedlings froze in time and then went from green to Grey then died. So sad. My next batch is doing a little better but I am starting to see the signs of going from green to Yellow. I hope you all can help me. I don't mind starting up a new batch and these little ones dying as long as I learn from their deaths. The info is below and I have also uploaded pictures. I'm aware that I have low-grade soil mediocre-at-best but I learned in my readings that beginning soil should not have a lot of nutrients in it. Am I wrong? I plan on working in FF's trio of nutes after 3 week but never get to a healthy looking plant after about 2 weeks. I also know I should get a soil pH tester. I think I have nutrient deficiency especially nitrogen at this early stage but I'll let you all tell me what you think.
I'd like to add that compared to the pictures I've seen my plants are growing really slowly. This is my first grow so maybe it's just an Autoflower thing but the two that I know are not autoflower aren't growing quickly either. Maybe some of the guys on the year have pictures of their seedlings that are cut clones so the leaves are a lot more developed than mine straight from the seed.

What Strain is it? Amnesia Haze autoflower, Jack Herer autoflower, Train wreck autoflower, lemon kush bag seed, and an unknown strain bag seed.
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? All of the above.
How Many Plants? 6 total. 2 just popped the surface. No issues yet with the 2 babies.
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Seedling.
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? In the picture are a 29 days old
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor.
Soil or Hydro? Soil.
If Soil... What is in your Mix?
Regular potting soil from a gardening super store with 1/3 vermiculite
If Soil... What Size Pot? Small cup then moved to a 3 gallon pot after 3 weeks
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
Is it Air Cooled? 1st batch was under 600 watt led veg setting. I thought I was burning them so I now have a 300 watt led vegger.
Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
2x4 grow tent with vents. Highest temp is 78 degrees right under light. Small desk fan used as well. I have light over 2 feet away from plants. Scared to burn them again. They aren't stretching either.
RH of Room/Cabinet? Usually 50%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Great question. I need a soil oh tester.
Any Pests? None that I see except once I saw a small black gnat-sized bug around the side of the pot. Never saw it or another bug again. I've turned up some of the I've turned up some of the dirt just to check and found no pests
How Often are you Watering? I water a few drops around the plant every 3 - 5 days. I stick my finger in the dirt to check for dryness.
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
None until after 3 weeks. The little leaves are turning yellowish grey. So just 1 application of FF's grow big 6-4-4 and big bloom 0-0.5-0.7 a couple days ago trying to save them.
Size or Square Footage of Room? 2x4 grown tent bought on the interweb :0) .

Sorry for such a long post but thank you in advance everyone!!!

View album 16506

Welcome to 420Magaine.

Recommendation would be to start your seedlings in Solo Cups (those red ones used for beer parties). Poke a bunch of holes in the bottom and some in the sides. Take a 1 liter soda bottle cut bottom off of it and put over the top of your Solo Cups creating a humidity dome (you can remove the cap).. Seedlings like a constant humidity over in the 50-70% range.

It is possible to also just put the clear soda bottle over the ones in your larger pot. I would mist them a couple times a day and spray some mist into the plastic bottle also. After they start getting a couple leave you can start hardening them by taking the humidity dome off for an our or two at a time to adjust to the lower humidity. You should also try to keep your humidity above 50% inside the tent.

A couple of your seedlings (the ones with the leaves curling up) look like they got too much light and are a bit burnt. The ones that are curling down could either be too little water or too much. You can tell by lifting the pot and if light they need water. If heavy they are too wet.

Hope this helps and look forward to seeing them perk up for you. I think a couple are really looking like they are happy.

Troy just beat me to it! Only two things I would mention is the autos should be put in their final pots at the beginning. Overwatering can be a problem, so resist the urge to soak it once they're planted. I soak the soil for my autos before I plant them and they don't get watered again for at least a week. And you should get a couple of CFL's in there for the first week or so rather than blasting the LEDs. Or you could hang window screening between the lights and the plants. That worked well for another auto grower here.

Wait, one more thing. Does your soil have any nutrients in it? That will burn the young ones before they can grow up.

Looks like poor quality soil to me. Soil needs beneficial bacteria and fungi to thrive. I "charge" my soil with 5% worm castings at about 1-1-1 but in a form seedlings can use right away. Soil organisms feed the roots and some bagged soils skimp on that ingredient. Healthy fungi make the roots 2-3 time more efficient.

I grow in CoCo which have no nutrients. I do add some beneficial bacterial but besides that just a hydro formula my Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect line. I'm growing in 7 gallon fabric pots and the roots are so strong they are popping through the fabric even at the bottom of the pot.

All good advice. It’s not a lack of Nutes. Less light, less water, check your pH, check your ppms in your runoff. Do these and you should find your answers. You can actually keep your LED 32” above your seedlings. Hope that helps.
:Namaste:

You guys are awesome. Thanx to your advice I have a nice bounce back. I really think it was the humidity dome technique. So simple yet so effective. I uploaded a couple pix.
I'll continue to update this thread.

They are looking good. You may need to move your light a little further away. The curled up ends of the leaves in the second picture is often an early sign of too much light. Keep the domes on for awhile and they will love you for it.

3 weeks after the bounce back. As you can see the 4 plants that did not die have bounced back from the yellowing dried out days. Thank you guys! I've learned a lot.

For my next grow and future seed purchases I think I will only grow "regular" (as in not autoflower) feminized seeds. The AFs seem super sensitive especially in the seedling stage. They also are smaller in size and I prefer a larger plant. In the full tent pic, the 2 smaller plants are AFs. Now this is my 1st grow so please let me know if anyone has had great results with AFs. I have a couple more of those seeds and I'd love to grow them properly.

Thanks again everyone! I love the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom