Hemp History

Jacob Bell

The 2nd Annual Hemp History Week recently ended, but since hemp seed is featured in one of my favorite and recommended recipes I thought I'd give you a little hemp knowledge.

Hemp History Week was designed to renew support for hemp farming in the U.S. and educate elected officials about the economic benefits of growing non-drug, industrial hemp on American soil.

Industrial hemp does not come from the same kind of Cannabis plant as marijuana. According to the North American Industrial Hemp Council, "One type of Cannabis is high in the psychoactive cannabinoid, THC, and low in the antipsychoactive cannabinoid, CBD. This type is popularly known as marijuana. Another type is high in CBD and low in THC. Variants of this type are called industrial hemp."

Hemp is nothing short of a wonder plant. Acre-for-acre, it can produce four times the amount of fiber of an average wood forest, and can re-grow itself even faster–the time from seed to harvest is approximately 120 days without need of herbicides or pesticides. The plant is also a nutritional powerhouse, providing omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E and iron, and is a complete protein. Paper, oil, bread, milk, salad dressings, purses, clothing, waffles, ice cream, even building materials can be made from hemp. According to the Hemp Industries Association, hemp products are one of the fastest-growing natural products in the United States, with estimated sales of $400 million in 2010.

So eat and buy more hemp products! They're incredibly healthy and eco-friendly.

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: blog.timesunion.com
Author: Aimee Geraci
Copyright: Hearst Communications Inc.

Back
Top Bottom