Hempy Headquarters

Hey guys, just wanted to update you on my hempy autoflower run! Week 3 today and the girls are starting to really enjoy their space! 4 in the 4L I plan to reverse for seeds, 1 of each strain.

Are those cat litter trays?

Anyone run hempy buckets larger than 5 gallons?. Want to do 3 in 10 or 15 gallon totes this round in my 4 by 4.

Good morning, Kismet.

FelipeBlu grew one of his plants in 30-gallon Rubbermaid container last year. Here's the post where he's up-potting it:

30-gallon up-pot

20210702_135641.jpg

If you veg for a couple of weeks, I would think that the tub would be filled by the end of stretch.

You are going to have a big plant! Did you say you were going to up-pot three plants to tubs? All in that same tent? Keep in mind that each plant will likely reduce its yield if it feels too crowded.

Hey all, new hear; lots still left to read.

There's a couple things I'm having trouble finding answers to though:

1. Hydroton (LECA) in the reservoir: I've read that if it's not thoroughly rinsed and soaked enough, it can cause PH swings. Does anyone know if natural stones like river rocks/pebbles would work?
2. When running just 50/50 perlite and vermiculite, does it matter what size/grade of perlite is used; is chunky better as well when mixing with vermiculite, or will horticulture grade suffice?
3. I'm also curious if anyone has experimented with fabric pots and the hempy method; any creative designs out there?

Hey all, new hear; lots still left to read.

There's a couple things I'm having trouble finding answers to though:

1. Hydroton (LECA) in the reservoir: I've read that if it's not thoroughly rinsed and soaked enough, it can cause PH swings. Does anyone know if natural stones like river rocks/pebbles would work?
Yep, river rocks/pebbles will work. Will quickly get heavy.
2. When running just 50/50 perlite and vermiculite, does it matter what size/grade of perlite is used; is chunky better as well when mixing with vermiculite, or will horticulture grade suffice?
Any size perlite should work fine. 50/50 will hold moisture a lot longer. Will you be growing outdoors in a dry climate?
3. I'm also curious if anyone has experimented with fabric pots and the hempy method; any creative designs out there?
A fabric pot would not have a reservoir - so it wouldn’t be hempy. Look into SWICK on this site.

Welcome to 420 and the Hempy Headquarters! :high-five:

Yep, river rocks/pebbles will work. Will quickly get heavy.

Any size perlite should work fine. 50/50 will hold moisture a lot longer. Will you be growing outdoors in a dry climate?

A fabric pot would not have a reservoir - so it wouldn’t be hempy. Look into SWICK on this site.

Welcome to 420 and the Hempy Headquarters! :high-five:

Hey thanks for the info and the quick reply!

Sorry, I made a mistake in my comment, originally I was thinking of going 50/50 "coco" & perlite, but I've since decided to try out a perlite/vermiculite mix (at 4:1 in 3gal container). It will be an indoor grow however, do you think that ratio will allow me to stretch watering to at least every other day?

As for the fabric pot concept, my train of thought was headed in the direction of something like a pan or dish with the same diameter as the bottom of the fabric pot. The bottom of that pan could then be covered with some small stones, then placed in the bottom of the fabric pot. Then the fabric pot can be filled the rest of the way with whatever medium/mixture is desired.

When watering as normal, the pan in the bottom should simply overflow and seep out the fabric. As long as it's placed in a larger collection tray, the over flow should be manageable the same as if it were coming out the small diameter hole of a bucket.

Here's a crude whiteboard drawing of what I was thinking:
20210710_160225.jpg

Hey thanks for the info and the quick reply!

Sorry, I made a mistake in my comment, originally I was thinking of going 50/50 "coco" & perlite, but I've since decided to try out a perlite/vermiculite mix (at 4:1 in 3gal container). It will be an indoor grow however, do you think that ratio will allow me to stretch watering to at least every other day?
Perlite alone will allow that until flowering really gets going. Just about any hempy will end up there though. The point to hempy isn’t just the simplicity, it’s the frequent introduction of oxygen, which accelerates growth.
As for the fabric pot concept, my train of thought was headed in the direction of something like a pan or dish with the same diameter as the bottom of the fabric pot. The bottom of that pan could then be covered with some small stones, then placed in the bottom of the fabric pot. Then the fabric pot can be filled the rest of the way with whatever medium/mixture is desired.

When watering as normal, the pan in the bottom should simply overflow and seep out the fabric. As long as it's placed in a larger collection tray, the over flow should be manageable the same as if it were coming out the small diameter hole of a bucket.

Here's a crude whiteboard drawing of what I was thinking:
20210710_160225.jpg
Nice sketch! It isn’t really hempy, but I have strayed myself. It should work - try it and see!
:ganjamon:

Perlite alone will allow that until flowering really gets going. Just about any hempy will end up there though. The point to hempy isn’t just the simplicity, it’s the frequent introduction of oxygen, which accelerates growth.

Nice sketch! It isn’t really hempy, but I have strayed myself. It should work - try it and see!

:ganjamon:

Hey, thanks again!

One more question if you don't mind, I have a seedling (started in a coco puck) currently in a solo cup hempy with straight 100% perlite. When watering/feeding in the solo cup, is it best to drench as much of the perlite as possible or just focus around the seedling? And I guess that extends to the final container too; after transplanting, is the hempy method to just water with a complete batch (let's just a gal of 1/4 strength nutes for arguments sake) and soak as much medium as possible on the way to overflowing the bottom rez a bit, or should the plant only be watered with a limited amount of feed early on, closely around the roots until they find their way down to the rez? Thanks again for your time.

Back
Top Bottom