Hempy Headquarters

Someone mentioned that a 5 gallon Hempy buckets is too much.

Two much for what, lol?

Since you place the hole wherever you want, you could presumably be fine with any size container. You'd just have to figure out (probably by testing) the best placement of your hole / reservoir size for that particular container, medium, strain, et cetera. Smaller reservoir = less chance of stagnant nutrient solution (insufficient dissolved oxygen, I suppose) but have to add solution more often. Larger reservoir = gardener doesn't have to add solution as often, but there would be a greater chance for issues in the root zone.

Seems like balance is more important in a passive hydroponic setup than in an active one. But they're quieter, lol, and they aren't affected by power failures (trying to aerate five 20+ gallon reservoirs by removing solution a gallon at a time and pouring it back in from a height so that you get "bubble action" at the liquid:air interface during an extended power failure is kind of a hassle, lol).

looking good in there. i'm working up to the switch to mega-crop. is the maxibloom part of the MC program ?
Thanks. Just part of my cheapest nutrients possible program. Lol. I grow too many different cultivars to follow any strict schedule and remain properly lazy for the full hempy experience.

I like Mega-Crop. I only ordered a small sample and I believe they stuck me with the old formula which lacked a bit of calcium/magnesium if I remember correctly. The Maxibloom has more than enough of everything (besides Nitrogen) and is what I previously used as a stand alone fertilizer before getting Mega-Crop and making my plants bigger.

I'm on a very tight budget after upgrading my lights and expanding my grow area over the past year, so I just use what I can afford. I kind of like the combination of these two so I will probably stick with them.

one of the advantages of hempy is the ability to grow a fairly large plant in a relatively small pot.

Thanks @bluter, I was going with the ability to go longer between "feeds" but bigger plants in small pots is definitely a good advantage to have.

Since you place the hole wherever you want, you could presumably be fine with any size container.

That's my thought here. The key is finding that balance that you mention between too much water in the reservoir and stagnant water. I like the 5 gallon buckets because it leaves me with enough room on top that I can just dump an entire gallon and move to the next plant without having to wait to water.

they aren't affected by power failures

That's exactly why I am doing this test run with my wedding cake clones. I live in Michigan so chances of power outages during the fall/winters are a very high. Luckily I have not had this issue and so far but Hempy has been pretty straight forward so no over/under watering issues and growth has been impressive enough that I can live with water every other day.

I still have 5 other plants in DWC so I can easily compare the amount of work it takes to run both. I hate res change days because it takes pretty long to do all 5 and gotta make sure I have enough RO water. I do like the fact that I can leave the DWCs alone for an entire week and come back to top it off and replace the res though.

I was thinking about running two clones side by side (dwc and Hempy) to verify grow is comparable but need to finish this wedding cake run.

I was thinking about running two clones side by side (dwc and Hempy) to verify grow is comparable

If it is, you're not adding enough DO to your DWC, lol.

I'm gunna try to up pot from 3gal to 7gal today, well assuming I can get the leaks stopped in the 7gal nursery pot modification

Testing some ideas I've had
IMG_20190624_154834.jpg
IMG_20190624_154642.jpg

Both of these are 42 or so days from flip. #1 is in maybe a 32oz container.

#2 is in a huge Sunny D jug that I cut the top off of, maybe just shy of a gallon of media. More budsites but the cola on #1 is gorgeous in my eyes

I never really gave these much thought, just two plants I didnt want to toss out so I used them to fill space, at that they have succeeded. :hookah:

Nice! I think small-container hempy is better suited to photoperiodic clones than autoflowering plants. People talk about how growing an autoflowering strain is "fast" - but a rooted cutting can be immediately placed into flowering.

But I don't remember whether those are clones from a mother plant or plants grown from seed under a 12:12 (or 11:13, or 10:14) light schedule. If the latter, it'd be more like growing an autoflower - as soon as the plant is sexually mature, it enters the flowering phase. So, if that's the case, and I think it might be, you've shown (IMHO) that the small-container hempy is viable regardless of the general type of cannabis plant. Certain landrace strains, ones that evolved to thrive in poor soil conditions, might become a bit unwieldy in such small containers, but... when don't they, lol?

BtW, I like your priorities ;) .

But I don't remember whether those are clones from a mother plant or plants grown from seed under a 12:12 (or 11:13, or 10:14) light schedule.
They lived in my veg closet 24/0 from seed. I was searching for autoflower phenotypes. After 3-4 weeks, 2 autos showed. I waited a week and when I was confident the rest were photoperiods, I threw them out except these two because I had wasted light in the flower tent (11/13) and these were ready to flower immediately. I don't regret my decision.

I don't do clones and most of the time it is 11/13 from seed. Luckily I now have a Vero cob powered closet running alongside my tent. These got a bit more love than is normal

If it is, you're not adding enough DO to your DWC, lol.

Yeah.... Comparable is the wrong word. Growth in dwc will be faster for sure. I was just thinking just a cool experiment and take everything else into account like amount of work/maintenance, nute usage, veg time, etc vs amount/quality of yield

To be honest, sounds easier said than done so probably won't happen considering it will be a while to fit that in my plant rotation lol

Yeah.... Comparable is the wrong word. Growth in dwc will be faster for sure. I was just thinking just a cool experiment and take everything else into account like amount of work/maintenance, nute usage, veg time, etc vs amount/quality of yield

Hempy is certainly a valid form of passive hydroponics. And a valid form of hydroponics in general.

To be honest, sounds easier said than done

Such things often are. Not just because you'd need to double your space and duplicate a lot of your equipment, but there's the mental thing, too, for lack of a better term. Often, people end up unconsciously favoring one over the other in a comparison grow - and that can, of course, skew one's results. And then there's the entire question of how to set something like this up. Do you mirror everything (other than the ONE thing you're testing for / pair of things you're comparing)? Because that'll give you results. But, sometimes, one thing will provide better results if it is... used somewhat differently than another thing, whereas if they are both used the same way, it might favor the second thing instead of the first. If that even makes any sense the way I phrased it (I just used my brain in creating a post in a different thread, and now it is resting, lol). For example, if you're comparing two completely different types of lighting, do you grow the plants in exactly the same way even though one light might have better penetrative ability, while the other one covers a larger area? Do you feed them exactly the same thing, same ratios, same rates - even if the plants under one light start evincing one or more deficiencies? Et cetera.

I have great admiration for the folks who manage to pull off a valid comparison grow.

@TorturedSoul I completely understood what you wrote and I agree. That's another reason why I think it would be cool to do it however I just wanna grow some buds and have fun with it. What works for some growers may not work for others as there are so many environmental factors that will have a direct impact on a plants growth.
I just love learning about these plants and seeing the many ways people grow it and use it.

you've shown (IMHO) that the small-container hempy is viable regardless of the general type of cannabis plant. C
The smallest hempys I have done were/are about 20oz of medium. Almost always a single cola. Some cultivars do react badly to this. Autos are the worst in this size, don't know why, but they are.

Every one of my Columbian Punto Rojo crosses gets root bound and droops during early stretch for a couple weeks. They always get over it and end up yielding above average (in my world) vs all but one plant I've ever grown, and it was a granddaughter of a Punto Rojo cross, lol

@Ganjagrowergu " cheapest nutrient program possible" the CNP program. You dubbed it in my book.

This is why I am using the Greenleaf products now. I have the MegaCrop 2.0 with there sweet candy. I am also using the Bud Explosion in the flower tent. All those products go along way for the money spent on them. Not only that, they perform well. I like getting behind companies that are respecting my wallet and as far as greenleaf goes they're top notch. The simplicity of this product is why I am off of General Hydroponics. The one part catch all style steered me away from Jacks 3-2-1.

The tube run update
IMG_20190628_204212.jpg
IMG_20190628_204236.jpg
IMG_20190628_204226.jpg
IMG_20190628_204223.jpg

Some of that Sunny D OG at Day 58 and Grape Pupil some at Day 48 and the others at Day 34. Mega Crop at 6 gr/gal sweet candy at 1 gr/gal and Bud Explosion at 1 gr/gal. Ph @ 5.9-6.0.

I have some wind burn on a few plants closest to the fan. The Sunny D molded out on me last run and I am trying to avoid that this time. I will make adjustments to air flow once I can clear out some tubes
These tubes allow for some sweet flexibility with various things. I have defoiled some more than others just for a comparison. I also started flush early on one Grape Pupil just to see how she smokes when taken early. I plan on starting flush on another tube every week just to see where this strain smokes best at.
I also popped some more seeds in a hempy solo cup.(4 for 4 BTW) I was trying to do a 12 and 12 from seed in a tube grow but the tent won't allow that just yet so I will veg them out until room opens up in a couple weeks.

it looks fantastic buck.

do you strip all the side branches on those tube plants ?
I strip everything 6 inches up from top of tube at day 21 of flower. I also pull all the big fan leafs that day.

I am still experimenting, but I think a second leaf strip at day 42 helps fill in the buds. On the next run of the Grape Pupil I will top them 3 days prior to flower and see how they do in the tubes. I will than defoliate the same way.

Back
Top Bottom