Herberto's First Grow Journal - Soil & LED - Northern Lights - Trainwreck Auto - CKS

HerbertoChiba

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. My name is Herberto and I have been a long time watcher of the forum. After many years of dreaming and planning I finally have the chance to grow my own medicine for my chronic pain. Was hoping the government in Canada would have changed the laws to allow all patients to grow by now but they haven't. Costs my family way to much to constantly buy so I need to grow to be healthy. I just got things started and I was writing everything down but I thought it would be a good idea to start a journal here since the energy is quite positive here :) and I obviously will need some help since it is my first time growing. It is a pleasure to be here on the forum. So, enough of the introductions, onto the grow.

For my first grow I selected some Crop King Seeds Autoflowers so that I could have a crop sooner so as to stop buying from LP's or dispensaries. I went with:

image15289.jpeg

Northern Lights Auto- 70I/20S/10R
Trainwreck Auto- 60S/30I/10R

Germinated 4 NL and 4 TW seeds as per CKS instructions and all seeds have popped through the soil.

3 NL and 3 TW were planted in 3 Gallon fabric pots. 1 NL in a modified 5 Gallon fabric pot and 1 TW in a 3 Gallon plastic pot. Wasn't expecting all the seeds to germinate so I may have too many plants in this tent.

image15290.jpeg

All seeds were planted in Promix BX with added perlite, earthworm castings, and 2 Tbl.sp./gallon of dolomite. Perlite and earthworm castings were each 9L bags divided amongst they 8 pots. Thankyou BurnOne for posting your soil mix recommendations. Followed it with what I had:). Picked up some General Organics nutrients to feed. I know some people don't like them but I needed something to feed them with the money I had left. Didn't want to go broke and find out that I can't grow worth a damn.

image15292.jpeg

Growing in a Mars Hydro 4x4x7 tent

Lights (for now) are 2x Mars Hydro 300's

image15291.jpeg

Small fan for air circulation

Dehumidifier set up outside the tent as the humidity is very high here

Temp stays at around 73F when lights are on and the RH is around 66%. It goes up to 78% at times but I think the inline fan will help a lot as there is not a lot of air circulation now and the dehumidifier will be placed closer to the tent. Lights are on a 20/4 schedule to start but my drop back to 18/6 but not sure if it is a good idea or not?

I have an 6 in inline fan and carbon filter coming and will be adding another fan to circulate.

I will also be ordering some more lights but I am a little stuck on this. I was going to order 2 more Mars hydro 300 but I was wondering if it would be better to order a Mars hydro Reflector 96 instead? Or maybe a bunch of CFL's? Do not have tons of money left and the reflector would be the limit I could spend.

Any help is greatly appreciate and welcomed. Hope to have more updates soon. Thanks for stopping by.

Re: Herberto's First Grow Journal - Soil & LED - Northern Lights - Trainwreck Auto -

Happy to see that all the ladies have their true leaves showing. Here is some info I forgot to add.

Seeds started: July 27
In soil: July 29 (TW1-3/NL1-3)
July 30 (TW4/NL4)
Above soil: August 1 (All)

Here are some photos of the girls on day 2 above soil:

TW1
image15304.jpeg

TW2
image15305.jpeg

TW3
image15306.jpeg

TW4

image15307.jpeg

Re: Herberto's First Grow Journal - Soil & LED - Northern Lights - Trainwreck Auto -

new life in progress :) good luck enjoy your grow

welcome to 420 Herbert!!! hope your stay here is fruitful, friendly and happy.

looks like you are off to a great start.

as to the lights, If it were me, I would push to get the reflector 144. leading of course to buying a second 144. with 2 of those your tent coverage would be complete. the 96 only covers 2x3, and im not sure what the 300 covers, but I would be hesitant to advise you go backwards in your drive through technology. that being said, if you could swing a mars II 1200 w. it would give you complete coverage with one light, but at a higher initial investment, and going backwards from the reflector series. a big step up from the 300's though.

have fun eh.

welcome to 420 Herbert!!! hope your stay here is fruitful, friendly and happy.

looks like you are off to a great start.

as to the lights, If it were me, I would push to get the reflector 144. leading of course to buying a second 144. with 2 of those your tent coverage would be complete. the 96 only covers 2x3, and im not sure what the 300 covers, but I would be hesitant to advise you go backwards in your drive through technology. that being said, if you could swing a mars II 1200 w. it would give you complete coverage with one light, but at a higher initial investment, and going backwards from the reflector series. a big step up from the 300's though.

have fun eh.

Thanks so much. And thanks for the advise. I got the 300s to get things started with the money I had. Think I will pick up the reflector 144 so that it will cover the space. The 300s each cover 1.5x1.5ft. Thankyou again.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Not sure what happened over the past couple of hours but something ate my cotyledon leaves on TW4. Searched the whole tent and lifted up the pots but I couldn't find anything.
image15331.jpeg

We have a lot of earwigs around my place and there was a few times were the tent wasn't completely sealed and it could have gotten in a few days ago. I started some plants a few months ago to practice ( only CBD seeds) and they seem to munch on those plants every night even with Neem oil sprayed on them. Noticed TW4 after the lights came back so it was munched in the dark which the earwigs like.

Set up a few bowls of beer ( works in the vegetable garden to catch them to see what their numbers are like). Hers to hoping I find out what it is before it is too late. Will replace beer traps during the dark cycle.

image15332.jpeg

Any advise would be appreciated.

yeh hey do the 144 sounds good. it'll cover 2 and the 300's will cover 2.

are you trying to catch earwigs? or middle aged fat white canucks? lmao

I know squat about vermin in the tent, I've been soooo lucky that way. haven't had the need to call to arms. well except for the cold one after a long defol session. lol

have fun eh

yeh hey do the 144 sounds good. it'll cover 2 and the 300's will cover 2.

are you trying to catch earwigs? or middle aged fat white canucks? lmao

I know squat about vermin in the tent, I've been soooo lucky that way. haven't had the need to call to arms. well except for the cold one after a long defol session. lol

have fun eh

LOL. It is indeed a trap for many different organisms :)

GOTCHA, I knew it was an earwig. Looked through the whole tent it was the only one I found. I hope that there isn't more between the space between the soil and fabric pots.

image15355.jpeg

I tightened up all the vent holes with some gardening tape (nonstick) so they don't squeeze their way in.

image15356.jpeg

No more of the plants were munched on but I think it was because the lights were on over night. They don't like he light. I will check again after the lights come back on in he afternoon to see if there are more. If so. I may add sticky trap around each plant stem.

Tempand RH from last night.
image15357.jpeg

The humidity is crazy. The 82% was before I increased the fan speed . I have to go down every few hours to open the tent to let some of the humidity out. Hoping it will stay at around 60% consistently for the next bit. Looking forward to getting the inline fan to exchange to air a little more. Outside the tent RH stay around 55-62%.

hey ya caught the lil bugger eh. good on ya.

coulda been worse. you coulda opened yer tent to see a fat white guy drinking yer beer waiting for something to roll. lol

Hi Herberto, I'm subbed, I'm a soil guy too. Looks good, let's grow some meds.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Day 4- Veg

Gave the girls some water today. I didn't water yesterday as the soil was still moist and moisture is an issue this time of year here. It took me two years to stop over watering my vegetable garden :). They don't need me hovering over them anyway:).
Gave them only about 200ml of water each (well water).

Temp and RH
image15413.jpeg

All the girls are looking good. Even the one that was munched on by that earwig. I made a small error. The plant was actually NL4 and not TW4.

TW1
image15409.jpeg

TW2
image15410.jpeg

TW3
image15411.jpeg

TW4
image15412.jpeg

NL1
image15416.jpeg

NL2
image15417.jpeg

NL3
image15418.jpeg

NL4 (eaten cotyledon leaves but still fighting)
image15419.jpeg

keep on truckin eh

Day 5-Veg

Things are looking good. Noticed some light discolouration on the true leaves of NL2.
image15457.jpeg

Gave the plants 500ml of water pH at 6.0.

Temp-70/84F

RH-46/75%

Not sure what the discolouration is but I plan on starting nutrients next week at 1/4- 1/3 strength.

Adjusted the lights. Lowered them to 26in above the canopy from 28in.

Back
Top Bottom