Grandma Weedstein

So I absentmindedly walked down to my outdoor grow site in the dark carrying a flashlight to pick up some tools I'd left there. Realized too late I could have disrupted the light cycle, which could apparently cause the plants to develop hermies. My question is: All these plants are clearly females with no existing hermaphroditic traits. If they do develop male flowers now, wouldn't the resulting pollen only release X chromosomes, similarly to using colloidal silver to induce male flowers in female plants? If so, wouldn't this just be an accidental case of making feminized seed? I wouldn't really mind if that were the case, since I plan to pollenize some colas for seed anyway. Thoughts?

Flashlight for a short period one time probably won't cause you any issues, and if it did cause them to hermie they probably would have anyway. Seeds from a hermie just have better odds of being a hermie is all, so depends on ones point of view there but not worth wasting my time on in my mind as I'm not that desperate on seeds to grow.

If your plants go hermie from a single instance of disrupted night then any seeds will probably also be very susceptible to herming. Similarly if you only sprayed colloidal silver once and they turned hermie the resulting seeds would probably also be very susceptible to herming.

But if you either sprayed CS or disrupted the night cycle a lot over a couple weeks and the plant eventually turned hermie then the resulting seeds would probably also be less susceptible to herming, and should be good to grow.

I don’t know if that makes sense I have the house all to myself this weekend for the first time in years and I’ve smoked tons and tons of herbs and rosin.

:passitleft:

Oh OK,that actually makes a lot of sense. So it's less about the method of inducing male flowers as it is about the plant's innate resistance to producing hermies. The more resistant it is to hermaphroditism, the more work it takes to produce male flowers, and thus the resulting pollen is more reliably female?

i would bet you dollars to tim bits that all the theories about hermies producing hermies is old growers wives tales.

near guarantee you there is no real science behind it. so many old time stories turn out to have absolutely no basis in science at all

this , i believe, is one example

i would bet that the idea of hermies producing hermies comes from the fact that the second gen plants are grown in the same conditions as the first, so for sure will produce more hermies

i have a tonno seeds produced from hermied plants from my early days of growing,, some purposely pollinated,, some not,, but all from hermies,, no silver involved

and i had very poor light control and heat and everything else,, then,, a lotto stress on the plants,, and they hermied,, some of them

so thru accidental pollination and purpose pollination i have a bunch a seeds

i grow these seeds regularly,, and they do not produce hermies,, mostly,, and note that i have improved my flower room conditions to acceptable standards,, mostly,, so, now,, some develop a few nanners late in flower,, and i guess that is technically a hermie,, but only some do, and only a few nanners,, and i know this action to be normal in a lot of breeds, and it is easy to pick the few nanners off,, tho requires attention

my thot only,, not yours

i would bet you dollars to tim bits that all the theories about hermies producing hermies is old growers wives tales.

near guarantee you there is no real science behind it. so many old time stories turn out to have absolutely no basis in science at all

i would bet that the idea of hermies producing hermies comes from the fact that the second gen plants are grown in the same conditions as the first, so for sure will produce more hermies

i have a tonno seeds produced from hermied plants from my early days of growing,, some purposely pollinated,, some not,, but all from hermies,, no silver involved

and i had very poor light control and heat and everything else,, then,, a lotto stress on the plants,, and they hermied,, some of them

i grow these seeds regularly,, and they do not produce hermies,, mostly,, and note that i have improved my flower room conditions to acceptable standards,, mostly,, so, now,, some develop a few nanners late in flower,, and i guess that is technically a hermie,, but only some do, and only a few nanners,, and i know this action to be normal in a lot of breeds, and it is easy to pick the few nanners off,, tho requires attention

my thot only,, not yours

Nice. great insight.

so you say they "mostly" don't produce hermies. what would you say has been the ratio for you with these seeds?

I feel like this needs more attention.

I think actual hermaphrodites are very rare, but plants that produce random male parts from a little stress are common and can easily go unnoticed and be devastating in a huge grow.

Some strains are way more susceptible than others which makes me think it’s probably a genetic trait that can be passed down to offspring. I’ve read about breeders that stress test their plants and only breed with plants that never show male parts under stress. I don’t think this is common practice though it probably should be IMO.

:passitleft:

my thot only,, not yours
I am with you. I grew some landrace Lebanese for my first grow and had a power outage and light disruption and while I didn't ever see manners or male parts I would up with seeds. They plants smoked great and we're better than anything in the dispensary. I am growing those seeds by themselves and will continue to so so and don't care if anybody likes it. I'm not a commercial grower, won't sell seeds and feel like these would have been fine if grown outdoors as nature intended.

Back
Top Bottom