Hermies

Why do you love hermies?
Is it true that seeds from hermies are all females?

i think basicaly the deal is that if a female plant thinks there is a disaster aproaching (oops i left the sun in the sky for an hour too long) and it isnt already pollenated, i think it panics and expects imminant death for it or its brothers and sisters and turns hermie in order to up the population numbers.

as to why the seeds are mostly female we can reasonably guess its because like most species a pregnant female is pregnant and therfore cant do a lot more to help, where as a single male can breed with many many females.

if you have 10 men and 1 woman on an island, the growth rate of the species will be rather low, but if you have one man and 10 women....good times!

i like hermies because you cant clone autoflowers. im not one of these people that like super strong weed every now and then, i prefer a mild dose constantly. so even tho a part male part female plant wont be as strong as sensi, im certainly not going to run short of repeat perscriptions, lol

awesome.... thanks for the info
Acutally i just read in one of the informative things on this website the ctual reason all hermies have just female seeds is bcuz only the X chromosme is given r/t the light...
What is an autoflower and how are the created?

an auto flowering weed plant as we know them is a hybrid of a recently publicised new (old) species.

most of us grew up knowing about indica and sativa, but there is also a 3rd species called Ruderalis (the word ruderalis is normally used to indicate any plant that is one of the first to recolonise a disturbed area, like after a huge fire) the C.Ruderalis is a short stubby weed plant that grows well in conditions that would kill dead a normal weed plant and as such it has evolved a new way of maturing, it does not rely on the suns timing to trigger auto flowering, instead it relies on its own internal clock (im now old enough to flower). this plant has very little THC and its smokability is more like hemp than weed.

However the magic happens when you breed one of these with a C.Sativa or C.Indica, lets say northern lights for now, what you get is a northern lights plant that is not quite as strong as the pure breed, nor does it grow as tall or big in general, but what it does do for the slight loss of strength is gain the Ruderalis ability to mature on its own, thus auto flowering strains were born.

one of the down sides to this form of flowering is that cloning does not work. autoflowering plants are considered to have no vegative state and the intend to flower from birth, so any clones you try to take will pretty much just still be a branch of the mother that will not grow any bigger really and will just flower at the same time as the mother.

this is why im into hermies, if you have all feminised seeds and one of them hermies that just allowes you to make more seeds that will be female and you can hermie one of them for the next gen.

all hermies have just female seeds is bcuz only the X chromosme
indeed. what i described is the 'why', your quote explains the 'how'.

hope that helps =D

this is why im into hermies, if you have all feminised seeds and one of them hermies that just allowes you to make more seeds that will be female and you can hermie one of them for the next gen.

But then the quality of your bud gets worst with every generation, f1's and 2's are alot more potent than like a 6 or 7. Look up breeding if you think im wrong, but im pretty sure im right.

i dont really know much about breeding at the moment, but i think the term back crossing or something.

since i know nothing about it i can only use common sence to form a plan, im sure a pro would know much more about it.

lets say northern lights is your personal choice, and lets say 2% ruderalis is enough to cause auto flower.

i think you breed rudy with nl to get 50% then again with nl to get 25% and again e.t.c till you get the desired breed.

then you just keep spawning lots of them, pick out the ones that behave the way you want and bred them with each other again and again till you cause a stable strain.

does that sound about right?

the seeds are less potent if you keep crossing the same strain, or seeds from hermies cause they arent getting any family boast. Cause with non hermies they get a boast of thc potency from family backround, I.E. exile(male) n. lights(female) the 2 backrounds would make it pretty potent, but a self pollinating wont get much boast. Plus further generations decrease levels using the same base plant. Like uhh F1- it turns herm has seeds f2- isnt as potent f3- gets less. I only basics on it maybe its confusing thats how I understand it. But look up breeding.

ahh i think i can see where the confusion is. i was talking about species breeding from an intelectual point of view.

it doesnt actually have anything to do with why i personally like hermies.
i have no intention of trying any special breeding, exactly the opposite in fact. i neather want to keep forking out for new seeds, nor am i experienced enough to breed properly, keeping mothers and fathers and all that...hermies for me is a lazy mans way of making more pot, i litterally have to do nothing, just wait and harvest the seeds....if at some point the bud is no longer serving its purpose, then i will buy fresh seeds and start again. hermies are for my personal amusement only. ;)

Wow its cool as hell to listen in on you all and get all the info...
Im sure it differs by the plant cross with and such, but in general how long does it take the auto-flowers to fully flower and be ready for harvest?

Gigabane---- yeah i understand what you are saying...I hadnt thought about hermies that way but that is smart as hell what you do...you keep all feminized seeds and dont have to buy more... What do you do to the one or two plants that you make turn hermie in order for them to turn hermie (What do you do to cause the one or two plants to hermie?)

thx for the info guys

autos take like 3 months fully to flower, they say 65-75 days, and hermies you can re-veg the plant, keep a light on during flower for too long or do some other stupid things to stress it out.

And GiGaBane when you say it like that good plan man

GiGabane its true and if you were here you can have all you wantI know exactly what your talking about. Here what I did the first time they hermied Lite leak didnt catch it in time
004757.JPG
Im a new grower and the flowers opened and polinated my good girls. The second time me and my wife got in an arguement and I jerked the door open and hacked down 5 plants. in the matter of 1 min with the door open right before the lights come on 2 of my best from seed I topped both at 10 nodes then tied down all the branches except top 2 from topping Then I FIMed everything They were nice for indoor. I pulled them I didnt even want to try and keep up on pulling the sacks and nanners. Then my last 4 my last 4 turned hermie from the same thing. Hermies are not bad the only thing I can see about using hermie seeds is you got the hermie trait. So food for thought if they get fem seeds from hermies then your buying hermie seeds. Me personally I dont care as long as I dont have a but load to stay on top of. Because if you dont pull the nanners your screwed with either joint or hash material maybe a bong hit SEEDS UP THE ASS.

awesome post, couldnt help staring at your grow room...i seriously think i could make a life for myself in there, lol

i seem to come from a backgroung where when i bought weed, i was overjoyed to find a seed or two in it, for varying reasons i never managed to complete a grow back then (didnt care enough to care, didnt have kids and had lots of cash to just buy), but that warm feeling of picking out a seed and getting a one shot bonus chance to grow a few ounces never left me. so picking out seeds before smoking will never be a chore =D

so is that how they get feminized seeds? thats the whole business behind it is getting hermies ?

I totally agree back in the day you would buy a bag get a seed or two and be like hell yea got me some seeds. Mine never got over 2ft tall. I was young and would pluck the shit out of them cause I was growing pot. Its some funny shit when you look back on it. I will take pics of this crop I got going now that one was my first. 1 1/2 lb dry weight

dutchmasters makes a product called reverse, that combined with their penetrator, reverses hermies or can be used at the beginning of flower then repeated in 10 days to prevent hermies. was originally developed to make seedless watermelons and cucumbers

Back
Top Bottom