Hey, Bud, That's Not Marijuana

Weedpipe

420 Member
WOODSTOCK -- It may look and smell just like marijuana, but there's a good chance it's not.

Police say several hemp plants stolen from a Stratford-area research plot have been recovered in Woodstock.

Gordon Scheifele, a plant breeder and retired University of Guelph researcher, said thieves this week raided his legal 0.8 hectare (two-acre) plot licensed by Health Canada.

Although it was labelled hemp, Scheifele, a former president of the Ontario Hemp Alliance, said thieves still stole about half a garbage bag of hemp tops.

"They just went in thinking it was marijuana -- thinking it was too good to be true," he said. "It was obvious it was not marijuana.

"It's absolute foolishness -- it's absurd the trouble they're getting into."

While there's no way to distinguish the two crops, smoking hemp reaps no benefit and can make you sick.

"It has virtually no THC," Scheifele said. "But it has high levels of other cannabinoid chemicals.

"They can make you sick or sleepy. You're better off smoking rope or a newspaper -- it would be safer."

Oxford Community Police say they found the hemp plants after responding to a disturbance at a Dundas St. apartment in Woodstock. Police have charged an 18-year-old female and a young offender with possession of property obtained by crime.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: THE LONDON FREE PRESS
Author: HEATHER RIVERS, SUN MEDIA
Contact: CANOE -- CNEWS - Canada's Web Source For News And Information
Copyright: 2008, Canoe Inc
Website:London Free Press - Local News- Hey, bud, that's not marijuana

I think that the best thing that could possibly happen is full legalization, so that those who wished to grow their own cannabis for recreational purposes could do so without fear of retaliation for breaking corporate statues. (They're not "laws" folks, it's time to learn the truth about ALL of it!)

While cannabis remains illegal, and hemp remains "partially relegalized" this will become a more and more prevalent issue, and farmers will lose more and more of their crops to people who can't make the distinction between "industrial hemp" and the various medicinial or rectrational varieties of Cannsbis Sativa, Indica, Afghanica (aka: Indica-Afghanica) or Ruderalis.

With legalization, farmers would then be able to choose the best possible strain to grow in their climate, as well, without having to worry about what level of THC is contained. While you might think this is not a good idea, the fact remains that this would also open up a secondary market to the farmers to sell the buds to pharmacies or individuals who needed a specific strain to help treat a specific condition.

Another issue which needs to be addressed is the methods by which individual strains are kept separate for medical purposes. This is also an incredibly simple problem to solve, as greenhouses can be set up anywhere on the planet, and I would imagine that setting things up so that each greenhouse is completely segregated from the next would allos for multiple strains to be grown within a single physical greenhouse operation. This is important because, as more and more farmers begin to grow their hemp once it is finally relegalized, the industrial strains WILL cross-pollenate private gardens, lowering their effectiveness, while the inverse will also be true, and individual users' gardening efforts will cross-pollenate at least some small parts of farmed hemp.

The long and short of it is that first, we need relegalization...only after that happens will we see the billions of wasted dollars in police enforcement, court costs, lawyer's fees and imprisonment expenses begin to dissipate into the mists of 1930's prohibition where they belong.

My philosophy is quite simple: If you are a reasonable and responsible adult, you should be allowed whatever you want to do, so long as it harms noone else physically, nor takes their property from them. If my next door neighbour wanted to grow a patch today, I'd have absolutely no problem with it...but if he planted grapes, and the vines started to work their way through the fence, then I WOULD have a problem with it. (I've been there before, it's quite annoying, and expensive to rebuild vine-damaged fences!)

Just something to think about...what are YOUR thoughts, folks?

While there's no way to distinguish the two crops, smoking hemp reaps no benefit and can make you sick.

Bullshit there isn't. Hemp and marijuana have very different growth styles. Hemp is tall, lanky, and planted extremely close together. (Seed hemp is farther apart, and the fact that there were "tops" on these plants makes me think that they were a seed variety.) Marijuana is shorter, bushier, and grown like a christmas tree. Only a person with absolutely no experience in cannabis (and the inability to compare two photographs) would make that mistake.

Why is this lie stated so often? It makes no sense.

Honestly, I'd love to have hemp legal in the states. It'd be an excellent rotation crop. We have a hardpan that's difficult to break up with a pickaxe, but hemp's roots would destroy it.

As I understand it, ALL cannabis strains grow taller when packed closer together, and stay shorter when sown further apart, so to a certain extent, what he said was correct, although indicas are naturally shorter than sativas, and I'm not certain about ruderalis strains.

I also think that it's time we stopped using "marijuana" as thogh it were a legitimate word. It is the slang term developed to help get hemp made illegal, and we should stop glorifying the term by using it as though it was anything BUT common slang. When you understand that it was racially motivated, and backed by big money's selfish interests--no matter who they hurt in the process--you really get sick of hearing the word "marijuana."

Anyone who's read Jack Herer's "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" or even skimmed through it has a great deal of disdain for the how and why of the initial adoption of prohibition, and the words that they used to put one over on the people who had no idea at the time that hemp=cannabis=marijuana...must we continue to use a term that signifies only that we found out the truth too late to stop it, and haven't had balls or brains enough to fight back for almost a CENTURY now?

Sorry...just watched a few of Jack's videos from the last few years...got me all riled up! d=oP

....I also think that it's time we stopped using "marijuana" as though it were a legitimate word.....
i agree. i still slip up occasionaly but i make an effort to use the name Cannabis. in news articles and the titles i leave the articles the way they were found.

i agree. i still slip up occasionaly but i make an effort to use the name Cannabis. in news articles and the titles i leave the articles the way they were found.

I used to do it myself until I heard about Rick Simpson, and since that time, I understood exactly why he refuses to use the word "marijuana"...or "marihuana" if you're in the Canadian government and refuse to even learn to spell the slang correctly. ;)

One of the biggest problems that I see at present is the tendency of farmers to try to differentiate between "industrial hemp" and "marijuana", when in fact they are merely different strains of the same species. It is the differentiation which caused this whole bloody mess in the first place!

Almost noone knows that cannabis is also used in the manufacuring of almost every beer on the planet! Yes, that's right folks, HOPS are actually a subset of the genus CANNABIS!!! Every time you suck back a draft or hoist a lager...you're drinking "a CANNABIS!" d=^)

Aside: If you put aromatic hops (same stuff as in beer!) into a cloth bag and place it in your pillowcase, it will help you fall asleep...so once again, another form of cannabis proves beneficial to mankind.

Back
Top Bottom