Hey, got some questions before I get started about power

EraBud

I've had a few closet grows before as a kid never really doing much with it other than just growing it to grow. Long story short I have a good friend who sells on the side and he's been looking for a cheap connection, and as I needing some pocket money and have some experience (not much though) have decided I will grow in my spare closet and sell straight to him. I have no grand illusions of making anything awesome or supporting myself just heck cheap weed for me. Now my question is: there are two identical light fixtures (see picture) that I plan on taking out and using the hole for ventilation, the fixtures are powered with standard 12 gauge romex 2 wire, could I wire these up to be my power supplies for the grow without tripping my breaker as these two lights and an other fixture are the only things pulling off this breaker. Secondly any help with my setup is always welcome!
Now this is what I plan on doing
IMG_20130216_180752.jpg

one side veg/one side flower
dividing the closet with a mylar tarp or something of the short
IMG_20130216_180821.jpg

the rack will support my lights with yo'yo's, I know it doesn't look like much but it supports my weight fine
IMG_20130216_180900.jpg

finally the light fixture I plan on removing for ventilation/power supply
I have drop down ceilings and the closet ceiling opens up to a 2' tall opening which I plan to run ducting to my dryer exhaust with a carbon filter

any tips or comments are much appreciated :thanks:

Wow, with all the reading and research I've been doing I don't see how I didn't come across this earlier. This is huge and I thank you greatly! Once I get my room set up and start I'll be linking my grow journal in here.

GLR sounds interesting, they do make a few good points:
1. there is no 18 hour light cycle in nature
2. the extra stress on the plant

I've been doing the 18/6 and noticed what seems like stress at the end of the cycle, more when they are due for watering.

The thing that concerns me is that there doesn't seem to be much side by side studies.

I've looked at several grow journals and several that started near the same time as mine aren't nearly as big as mine. Even within my grow, I have plants that are 1 week older and 1/2 the size of the younger ones. My smallest and largest are both the same strain and started at the same time.

If you look at my grow journal, the short one in the white 2 gallon bucket was started the same day as the biggest one (the one that had some growth shut down problems).

I'm not trying to dampen anything here, but I just like to see more info.

Example: many have said LED is the way to go, yet some long term experts say the light range is too narrow and they should be use in addition to other lighting.

If I was to take my grow, it shows two plants started exactly the same time and produce VERY different results, yet again, in the same grow, I have 4 that are VERY close in size/shape that are from the same strain and started at the same time.

IMG_011322.JPG
IMG_014627.JPG
116_2041.JPG

The one in the white bucket was started on the 1st day of this grow, been under the same lights, is the same strain as 1/2 the grow. Point: theres a lot of factors involved in a grow.

Again, I'm not trying to bash something, I'd just like to seem more compares under the same conditions.

Note: the white bucket is NOT a 5 gallon bucket, I think it's 1.5 or 2 gallons, you can see some CFLs to give a size ratio.

Here's another pic that compares the two plants. Both started at the same time and of the same strain, water, nutes, lights, all the same.

IMG_020534.JPG

The point I'm trying to make is that it's hard to know what difference something makes. Some growers claim a certain nute brand is better, some claim another is better, but it's hard to know without a solid side by side compare, and usually it takes several runs to get usable data. I'm not saying Gas Lamp is good or bad, just saying I'd like to seem more studies.

it seems odd to only have 3 lights on it so I's double check and don't forget to check all plugs too as they could be on it too. what size breaker is it on? if it's a 20 amp breaker you are good to go. if it's a 15amp breaker check to see if they didn't use 14-2 for the curcuit a scrap piece of 12 up to the light.

Karl jay Have you read the university study on GLR? also I think you describing is a strains with a unstable phenotype.I was just reading on this the other day here it is I copied from the thread newbie and autos posted by GiGaBaNE

a phenotype is like a sub class of a strain.
lets say you have skunk.. a well known breed. well lets say you grow 1 skunk and it grows a main stem with very few side branches.
then lets say another grows exceptionally tall under the same conditions and a 3rd plant likes to grow short with many side branches...they are all skunk, but different phenotypes. when a breeder 'stabilizes' a strain. they basically hand pick those phenotypes that they like and discard the ones they dont so that all the descendants eventually all look the same and grow in the same way...thats a stable pheno =)

sweet it's on a 20 amp just needing to get some scrap wire from work and I'll be doing the wiring asap then! thanks a bunch ol' hippie!and along with the phenotypes the only good way to do a side by side comparison is to take clones and have them under same conditions, do that and they should grow pretty evenly

I read some link posted on this forum, don't know if it's the university study or not, but it does sound interesting and I'd like to get some more info on it, not just someone that had a good grow without actually comparing.

I did think it was a bit strange that there was such a big difference in the plants, within the same grow, I have 4 from the last batch and they all look and have grown pretty much the same. I cloned a few of the plants I have now, but won't know which will have the best yield until I harvest these. I don't really know what to expect from the tall skinny ones.

another thing that can affect their height is their sex I think. I know out of 3 out of 4 grows my tallest was male, during 4th it turned hermi. I don't think the males are always taller but like people males are mostly taller. it would make sense for them to drop their pollen into the surrounding girls.

another thing that can affect their height is their sex I think. I know out of 3 out of 4 grows my tallest was male, during 4th it turned hermi. I don't think the males are always taller but like people males are mostly taller. it would make sense for them to drop their pollen into the surrounding girls.

I really hope they are not male, they came from clones and I was told they were cloned from females. Just in case they are male or have hermied, I have extra plants and have the 27 clones underway. I really should have cloned sooner, but that's life.

I wonder if my new clones end up coming from a plant that ends up hermie, what happens to the clones, are they going to be hermie too?

Back
Top Bottom