Hey, New Grower, trying to my best to keep these girls alive!

Cococakebaked

420 Member
Hey everyone,

Well this all very new to me, kinda been thrown in the deep end, and I'm trying to figure this growing malarkey all out. I never planned to be a grower, but the circumstances I found myself in was to either A, let them die or B, do my best to keep it going! As I chose the latter, this is why I'm here, I need a bit of advice as to how to keep it all running smoothly.....
So anyway, here's the situation, there's 4 girls (clones) in veg at week 2-3 I've been using Tapwater with CannaA+B,Cannazym,Rhizotonic and Ph Down to adjust the Ph to 5.6, and TDS is measured at 850.These directions are from following Canna's grow guide. I water every 2 days when the soil is dry on the top an inch or so down, and I discard the run off water from the drip trays However I feel like there's a problem! The leaves on the bottom are curling and going kinda crispy, and on only 2 of them, there's a few tiny bronze looking spots and they don't seem to be getting much bigger. I have done some research and I'm wondering if some calmag is needed to be added to the mixture? But as I'm inexperienced I don't want to start adding things when I'm not sure that that's the problem as it may cause other problems. If anyone would be able to help me out, I would be so grateful. I'll attach some pics too, and Sorry for the long post, but I dont know what else to do.
Thanks in advance ❤

Attachments

• 15759033317225612996103339067172.jpg
    15759033317225612996103339067172.jpg
    906.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 15759033674356135956718992564662.jpg
    15759033674356135956718992564662.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 15759034339215022444195775978998.jpg
    15759034339215022444195775978998.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 96
Welcome Cococakebaked to 420 magazine.
You have a couple lower leaves you need to look on the bottom side of the leaf or your getting nutrients on them when you water .

Hey, thanks for your reply.
They're definitely not getting water on them, I'm very careful not to touch the leaves. I've just checked underneath and it looks normal, just a but crispy.
Do you have any ideas on what else the problem could be?

Hey, thanks for your reply.
They're definitely not getting water on them, I'm very careful not to touch the leaves. I've just checked underneath and it looks normal, just a but crispy.
Do you have any ideas on what else the problem could be?
Maybe watering too much ,let’s see if @Emilya is on line . She has the best watering practice in here and the one mostly used ! If she not on line touch her name and look in her signature!

Hey everyone,

Well this all very new to me, kinda been thrown in the deep end, and I'm trying to figure this growing malarkey all out. I never planned to be a grower, but the circumstances I found myself in was to either A, let them die or B, do my best to keep it going! As I chose the latter, this is why I'm here, I need a bit of advice as to how to keep it all running smoothly.....
So anyway, here's the situation, there's 4 girls (clones) in veg at week 2-3 I've been using Tapwater with CannaA+B,Cannazym,Rhizotonic and Ph Down to adjust the Ph to 5.6, and TDS is measured at 850.These directions are from following Canna's grow guide. I water every 2 days when the soil is dry on the top an inch or so down, and I discard the run off water from the drip trays However I feel like there's a problem! The leaves on the bottom are curling and going kinda crispy, and on only 2 of them, there's a few tiny bronze looking spots and they don't seem to be getting much bigger. I have done some research and I'm wondering if some calmag is needed to be added to the mixture? But as I'm inexperienced I don't want to start adding things when I'm not sure that that's the problem as it may cause other problems. If anyone would be able to help me out, I would be so grateful. I'll attach some pics too, and Sorry for the long post, but I dont know what else to do.
Thanks in advance ❤
Hi! First off... we need to know what the medium is. I suspect that it is not soil since you are running in the hydro pH range, and if indeed this is a soilless mix that you are trying to water like soil, I can see where the problem is. Also, if this is soil and you are using the hydro pH range, I can also see the problem.
So lets get this sorted out first... my watering guide is for soil grows, not coco... and once we know what we are dealing with we can start giving some good advice.

Hey thanks for replying
Yep, it's coco I'm using. Any help you can offer will be gratefully received
ok, it sounds like you are doing most everything correctly and looking at your leaves I suspect that you might be a little on the hot side on your nutes, but that is probably not much of an issue since it is borderline at best. The spots you describe but have not shown us do sounds like a typical magnesium deficiency, and this has probably been minimized with your use of tapwater, which does have quite a bit of magnesium in it. It is typical under LED light but even common on non LED grows, to have a magnesium deficiency show up. I would get the calmag product you have in mind and try giving it in its small maintenance levels, to see if it stops the progression of this problem. The leaves damaged by this deficiency will never repair themselves, but the undamaged parts of the leaves can be saved by halting the progression of this now. To this end, it is not helpful to trim the leaves being affected... keep them on the plant and watch for progress as the green starts coming back to the non dead regions.
Your watering method is attempting to treat the container of coco as if it were soil. This is fine and it will work, but only if you stop watering when your finger stuck in the top tells you it is time to water. If you are going to treat this as a soil grow in the way you water, you need to let it dry all the way down to the bottom of the container between waterings, allowing the water table to pull oxygen deep down into the container to the lower roots. Using a moisture meter or the lift the pot method can help you determine when the plant has used the water all the way to the bottom.
Coco however is designed to be used differently than soil. Instead of relying on the physics of the water table to drag oxygen into the medium, the more common way to use coco is to oxygenate the water prior to adding nutrients with a bubbler, and then mix the nutrients weaker, like to half strength, and then water with this oxygenated mix a couple of times a day, keeping the coco wet. This allows you to have nutrients and water in contact with the roots all the time, and you can achieve hydro type growth rates from your soilless system. There are several "how to grow in coco" threads out here on this forum, and several are in grow journals so you can see these methods in practice. I suggest you do some research into this, and try to emulate one of those successful grows with what you are doing.

Thanks you're awesome. I will definitely have a look at the threads you suggested. I have some Calmag Pro, do I just mix with water and add on it's own directly to the pot or do I mix it in with the nutes? Oh and I'm using a 250w CFL bulb. I will do some more research and look into getting a bubbler ASAP also.

Attachments

• 15759300137288400535521172792650.jpg
    15759300137288400535521172792650.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom