Hi everyone!

matt77

Hi everyone!
My name is Matt and I am a psychology student at the University of New England (Australia). I am currently doing a study investigating the relationship between cannabis use and anxiety for my Honours degree in psychology.

For those who are interested I have included some information about my study below.

Thanks for your time.
Matt

Study investigation: The relationship between cannabis use and anxiety

What effect does cannabis use have on anxiety? Although cannabis users frequently report higher levels of anxiety than non users, the nature of the association between cannabis use and anxiety is not well understood. While clinical studies have shown that cannabis can induce symptoms of anxiety in high doses, current research also suggests that cannabis may help relieve stress and tension. Accordingly, recent studies have shown that individuals who experience symptoms of anxiety often report very different effects of use. While some individuals report feeling anxious while intoxicated, others report using cannabis to relieve symptoms of anxiety.

A number of theories have been proposed to explain the high rates of anxiety among cannabis users, including genetic vulnerability, pattern and history of use, potency of cannabis used and the presence of preexisting anxiety disorders. However, due to the contradictory findings of previous research, scientists are still uncertain about the effect that cannabis use has on anxiety. While cannabis appears to induce anxiety in certain individuals, it also appears to help other people relax.

The objective of this study is to explore the differences between users who report cannabis induced anxiety, and those who report using it to relieve symptoms of anxiety. It is hoped that the information you provide will help improve our understanding of the relationship between cannabis use and anxiety. This information will be useful for identifying people who may be more vulnerable to adverse outcomes of use, and help in the development of evidenced-based harm minimisation strategies. Thank you for your time.

Your post on PTSD/Anxiety and MJ as a treatment was enlightening! It is great that you have found a way to alleviate your anxiety.

I find it interesting that some people report using cannabis to relieve symptoms of anxiety while others claim that cannabis makes them feel anxious. Although the majority of people who use cannabis do not experience any negative effect of use, there are a few who seem to become anxious while using. Perhaps these people are already anxious, or maybe it has something to do with the THC/CBD ratio of the cannabis that they are smoking. My theory has always been that there are just certain people who should never smoke it. It would be nice to know the variables that differentiate those users from the majority of cannabis users who have pleasurable experiences.
cheers,
Matt

I can't speak for everyone but I find that my pre-smoke state of mind has a profound effect on the "high". I find it is best to try and center myself if possible prior to smoking to ensure I get a nice relaxing experience from MJ. There are times when I am anxious and smoke, the high is usually not as relaxing and is prone to a little paranoia. For me it's all about relaxing pre and post intake.

Hi matt77, :welcome: to the 420Magazine forums.
Good luck in all your endeavors. :goodluck:
:peace:
There are times when I am anxious and smoke, the high is usually not as relaxing and is prone to a little paranoia. For me it's all about relaxing pre and post intake.

If you smoke mostly indicas they usually chill. :grinjoint:

The link for my survey has been removed from my initial post due to a breach of 420's guidelines. If anyone is interested in participating in my survey you can e-mail me at mdriver2@une.edu.au. I would really appreciate your participation.
Cheers,
Matt :)

Back
Top Bottom