Hi from Colorado

ChrisZ

greetings!!

Just found this site and see I could spend some serious time here. I am from Colorado and believe it or not I have only been smoking for a few years (I just turned 59). I managed to get through my youth without discovering this wonderful plant.

After abusing my body most of my life riding horses and being a tom boy, I discovered that most places on my body hurt in any given day. After being referred to a pain managment clinic and being put on a total of 9 different daily drugs, living with the complications of these drugs, just wasn't working. Enter my relationship with weed!

I am now down to 2 drugs for pain, one being ibuprophen.

Of course I am now dealing with the state of Colorado and their "we love ya now and now we don't", feelings on medical use. I have my red card and can have 6 plants.

So now I am going to try my hand at growing a few plants. I have have good luck with growing plants and have a green thumb. (Even grew registered african violets and yes they even have violet shows.. kid you not!) I once sold ONE leaf of a plant for $175. My husband about blew a gasket and had a real gleam in his eye when he offered to install more lighting

I already have 3 mh lamps off of a large saltwater fish tank. We also have ro/di water filter systems and I see it doing a double duty for my plant growing. I am just about to replace 3 more mh off of our other tank as we are going LED.

I have a spare bedroom in our bi level home. So now the ?? begin.

Do I need to completely seal off this room? I will probably be installing some kind of carbon filter to help with keeping our neighbors happy ( The guy on the corner grows so I guess I could just point my finger down that way) My husband is in HAVAC so I have that covered. There is one window at ground level. The room size is prob 10X10

When I got into the saltwater fish, I bought stuff that I found out later was not what we needed and I spent a lot of money buying dumb stuff. I am trying not to do that this time.

So...... I have some lights and a room and a very handy husband.. where should I start?

:circle-of-love:

High ChrisZ, :welcome: to 420 Magazine!

I think you'll find this is the best mmj community out there... Dedicated to spreading awareness of the benefits of Cannabis. :thumb:

Our members are some of the most knowledgable and the most helpful anywhere!

So now I am going to try my hand at growing a few plants. I have have good luck with growing plants and have a green thumb. (Even grew registered african violets and yes they even have violet shows.. kid you not!) I once sold ONE leaf of a plant for $175. My husband about blew a gasket and had a real gleam in his eye when he offered to install more lighting

I already have 3 mh lamps off of a large saltwater fish tank. We also have ro/di water filter systems and I see it doing a double duty for my plant growing. I am just about to replace 3 more mh off of our other tank as we are going LED.

I was just reading a post discussing the transition from reef tanks to hydroponics... I believe you would have a leg up without having bred african violets!

I have a spare bedroom in our bi level home. So now the ?? begin.

Do I need to completely seal off this room? I will probably be installing some kind of carbon filter to help with keeping our neighbors happy ( The guy on the corner grows so I guess I could just point my finger down that way) My husband is in HAVAC so I have that covered. There is one window at ground level. The room size is prob 10X10

Sounds like you're going to have a nice grow room!

You don't necessarily need to seal the room unless you are going for a full climate controlled setup with A/C and CO2 enrichment... I guess even then you don't absolutely need to... But what you will want is negative pressure in that room with the exhaust going through a carbon filter before it's vented wherever it's going. That way odors won't be able to migrate out. You'll probably want to box over that window also. That way it just looks like a normal window with the drapes closed from the outside, but it's really air and light tight.

When I got into the saltwater fish, I bought stuff that I found out later was not what we needed and I spent a lot of money buying dumb stuff. I am trying not to do that this time.

So...... I have some lights and a room and a very handy husband.. where should I start?

:circle-of-love:

There's a lot to learn about our beloved plant, but links below will get you started. Also take a look here: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

I especially recommend you look through the journals (also linked below) for ideas on how you might like to set things up. :thumb:

If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines: Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting, they will assist you in navigating the forum.

Here are some other links that you should check out:

Our mission statement: Mission Statement
Questions: Frequently Asked Questions - 420 Magazine
Uploading photos: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
Grow support: How to Ask for Grow Support
How to grow: How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine
MMJ lounge: Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine
News: International Cannabis News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana News - 420 Magazine
Hemp News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Scientific Data - 420 Magazine
Help support the cause: Please Help Support 420 Magazine
One of my favorite places to hang out: Grow Journals - 420 Magazine

Also, please check out the monthly contests linked below in my signature, and feel free to participate by voting and/or entering!

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom