Hi Just Arriving In The Forum

Ethylene

420 Member
While my husband and I had a few outdoor growing adventures in our younger days, in a state where we could have had our home seized if caught (what were we thinking???), we are new to serious indoor growing.

Pot has become a big-budget item here. It is now legal to buy and grow in our state (thank the gods!). My husband has fibromyalgia and it's the only thing that really helps the pain. My son (who is age 30, not a little kid) uses it for anxiety and neuropathy. So to save the big bucks (and because it is really a fun venture!), we are starting off with a small-scale growing project.

We have done a lot of reading and talking to local "experts", but we still have significant gaps and would love a chance to ask questions and get a bit of support on this forum.

So hi! And thanks in advance for the help.

Ethylene

While my husband and I had a few outdoor growing adventures in our younger days, in a state where we could have had our home seized if caught (what were we thinking???), we are new to serious indoor growing.

Pot has become a big-budget item here. It is now legal to buy and grow in our state (thank the gods!). My husband has fibromyalgia and it's the only thing that really helps the pain. My son (who is age 30, not a little kid) uses it for anxiety and neuropathy. So to save the big bucks (and because it is really a fun venture!), we are starting off with a small-scale growing project.

We have done a lot of reading and talking to local "experts", but we still have significant gaps and would love a chance to ask questions and get a bit of support on this forum.

So hi! And thanks in advance for the help.

Ethylene
Hi Ethylene and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Congratulations to you and your state for the recent legalization, my state has recently done the same thing, although over a year into the new laws we still don't see any dispensaries. It takes time to change a mindset I guess, but soon Missouri will be a medical haven.
Good luck on your grow project and just keep reading trying to find a method that works for you. There are a lot of fancy ways to grow this weed, but I like to keep things simple and cheap. Right now, my best recommendation is to send off for a free sample of MegaCrop and use that to power your first grow. You can't beat free, and once you see how simple it is to use in soil, with tap water and no pH worries, you will be happy to buy your next bag of the stuff.
Hit me up anytime you want a question answered... it is new medical growers like you and your hubby that I try to devote a lot of my time to.
:green_heart:
Good luck!
Emmie

Hi Ethylene and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Congratulations to you and your state for the recent legalization, my state has recently done the same thing, although over a year into the new laws we still don't see any dispensaries. It takes time to change a mindset I guess, but soon Missouri will be a medical haven.
Good luck on your grow project and just keep reading trying to find a method that works for you. There are a lot of fancy ways to grow this weed, but I like to keep things simple and cheap. Right now, my best recommendation is to send off for a free sample of MegaCrop and use that to power your first grow. You can't beat free, and once you see how simple it is to use in soil, with tap water and no pH worries, you will be happy to buy your next bag of the stuff.
Hit me up anytime you want a question answered... it is new medical growers like you and your hubby that I try to devote a lot of my time to.
:green_heart:
Good luck!
Emmie
Hey @Emilya . I heard and seen alot of great things about Megacrop. Free sample? I might give it a try.
Sorry @Ethylene . Not trying to hijack your thread but my eyebrow went up when Emilya said free.:ganjamon:

Hi @Ethylene , Welcome to this wonderful community full of info, friendly people and great advice!

I am really glad to see you already have three plants on the go.

Would you like to share a bunch of info with us, so we can guide you to others who have similar interests?

If so, here is something I am using when I try to help people in the FAQ section - you can use it as a template when you get a chance:

Pictures
Pictures should be taken under white light - Blurple is too diffuclt to diagnose.
Pictures should be clear and not blurred.
Please provide a group pic of your plants.
Please provide a top to bottom pic of your plant.
Please provide a close up of fan leaves with issues.

Plants
What Strain is it?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
How Many Plants?
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?

Medium
Soil/Coco/Peat or Hydro?
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil/Coco/Peat... What is in your Mix?
If Soil/Coco/Peat... What Size Pot?
If Soil/Coco/Peat...When was the last time you up-potted your plants?

Lights
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
How far above the canopy are the lights?

Environment
Size or Square Footage of Room/Tent/Greenhouse?
Is it Air Conditioned?
Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
RH of Room/Cabinet?
Fans for exhaust? Fans for air circulation?

Water
pH of Medium or Reservoir?
TDS of Medium or Reservoir?
How Often are you Watering? Feeding?
Do you flush your plants if you are using soil?

Nutrients
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Are you following the nutrient line's feeding schedule?

Pests
Any Pests?
Have you used a jewelers loop to check for bugs and bug larvae?

Okay, that sounds great!

I bought three seedlings 9 days ago and they are doing fine in my 2 x 4 x 5 grow tent. They are about 10 inches tall at this point, thriving nicely after their transplant, under a steady temperature of 73 degrees (kept warm with a 100 watt light bulb plugged into a thermostat) and 24 hour light (continuing what they had been accustomed to). The humidity is fluctuating wildly - 45 to 60 RH for a few days and now 24 to 29 for the last few days - and I can't seem to do anything to affect it.

They are under a 600 Watt LED light, which is about 21 inches above their crowns right now. That is something I'm concerned about and will be posting a question about it this morning.

They are: one Sour Deisel, one Tukkaberry, and one Gelato. I'm not sure how old they are. They were about 8 inches tall when I got them.

We transplanted them right away into grow bags with potting soil, and drenched them with water at the time. Afterward I read that that was a bad idea and we put fans in the tent for air circulation and evaporation, set them on cookie racks and did not water them again for a number of days. Now I water them when my finger goes in one inch and feels only dryness (well, maybe the slightest hint of moisture). I have been spraying the leaves with water a couple of times each day because it's been so dry, however.

They are in one-gallon pots now but I plan to put them in 5-gallon pots at some point (I'm not sure how soon this will be needed. I ordered the grow bags but they won't arrive for another 2 weeks!). Any advice, comments or questions are welcome. I love to talk about my girls!

On the left is today; on the right is a week ago.

Pot pics - the girls 9 days here.jpgPot pics - Jan 13.jpg

Now I water them when my finger goes in one inch and feels only dryness (well, maybe the slightest hint of moisture).
After seeing this comment I will offer up the following advice. This is a weed, not a garden vegetable. Being a weed means that it is an aggressive predator, and it does have some special rules that need to be followed when growing it in a closed container.
Weeds were made for adversity, and they thrive best when made to struggle, just a bit, and especially when it comes to the watering cycle. A weed grows best when it is allowed to dry out, not just in the top couple of inches where its spreader roots are, but all the way down at the bottom of the container, where it has its tap and feeder roots.
It is very easy to overwater a weed by watering it too often, or before the roots at the bottom have been able to see some oxygen as the water table falls all the way to the bottom and pulls the oxygen with it. Without periodically seeing oxygen down there, those roots begin to shut down, to protect themselves from the overabundance of water.
It is important to establish a wet/dry cycle with your weeds, so that you can directly see how much water and how fast the plants are using it. A plant starting out may take 5-7 days to use all the water that can be suspended in a container of appropriate size, and as the roots develop and begin to spread out all through that container, the plant will develop roots sufficient to be able to drain that container in a day. That is when you know it is time to uppot... when the roots have shown you that they are strong enough to move onward and upward.
A coddled weed will not work very hard for you and will have a very weak root system. Make your weeds work for a living... they will reward you in the end. I wrote a very popular article some years back on the proper way to water, that goes into a lot more detail than I just gave you here. I invite you to read it. The link can be found in my signature lines.
:morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom