HID & LED in 4x4 room?

Grow Meds

This is my first indoor grow, after a couple of outdoor ones of modest success but still with tons to learn.
I have a 4 X 4 room in the garage, which is insulated but the garage is not, and it can get fairly cold in winter here. I have a 600W LED (277W draw) with an oil-filled heater (with thermostat) in the room. I also have a 400W HID (digital ballast with MH & HPS lamps) that is not in the room yet. My 2 seedlings just popped through the soil and are under a humidity dome until they get too large for it.

I have just the LED hooked up in the room now, but am thinking of putting in the HID light as well. I was thinking that if I hook up both lights in there, I would rotate the plants daily so that they spend some time under each light. I have a couple of plant holders with castors so moving them daily would be no problem.

My question is, would the LED and the HID be too much light and/or heat? I need the heater in the room for when the lights are out, but thinking that it wouldn't be heating when the lights are on. TIA for any advice.

> My question is, would the LED and the HID be too much light and/or heat?
The heat question will depend on ventilation (and just how cold it actually gets in your garage).
I don't think 900 watts worth of light would be too much for 16 square feet. Cannabis loves light (as long as you don't get it too close or overheat), and to a large extent, the quality of your grow is a function of how much light your plants get.
So I'd say go for it, subject to getting ventilation sorted out.
Good luck and have fun.

I would run it in the winter and use one of these:

Titan Controls Day/Night Temperature Controller, Single Outlet, 120V - Zephyr 1 : Programmable Household Thermostats

1666381794927.png

Just wondering if your garage is any warmer during the days versus nights? I am in a similar position and I just realized if I was using lights for heat, maybe run them through the night and use whatever solar gain/day temps I get for free to offset the need to try add supplemental heat.

Just wondering if your garage is any warmer during the days versus nights? I am in a similar position and I just realized if I was using lights for heat, maybe run them through the night and use whatever solar gain/day temps I get for free to offset the need to try add supplemental heat.

Good idea to make use of 'free' heat in your garage. My garage is detached and is as cold as the outside. I may try that switch to running lights on when it's the coldest part of the 24-hr period, using less energy to heat the room during daytime when lights are out.

Right now, the room ventilation is passive with just vents to the unheated part of the garage for fresh air and temp control. When the plants are bigger and I have fans going in the room there will be more air exchange happening, which means either more heater time or install and use the HID lamp for heat.

Good idea to make use of 'free' heat in your garage. My garage is detached and is as cold as the outside. I may try that switch to running lights on when it's the coldest part of the 24-hr period, using less energy to heat the room during daytime when lights are out.

Right now, the room ventilation is passive with just vents to the unheated part of the garage for fresh air and temp control. When the plants are bigger and I have fans going in the room there will be more air exchange happening, which means either more heater time or install and use the HID lamp for heat.

If I was you which this is a personal preference i would run my air cooled hood only during Lights on after that fan goes off when light does and you can get a speed dial to have it where you want it, I have a LEC/CMH HID AND love it !! It's air cooled and even have a filter at the beginning of ducting, and I only run during Lights on and speed controller on low, it helps with just getting the light inches from plant tips other than that I just have my 1000 watt hps and some LED collecting dust
420-magazine-mobile1487223974.jpg
420-magazine-mobile311040790.jpg
trying to sell both but it's hard Bc nobody wants HID when you can get LED or LEC OR LEP AND NOW LES , so to many options but all great lights for different reasons my favorite 2 lights are PERFECT SUN GOLIATH AND A 315w LEC/CMH I Add a Led with my LEC for a fuller spectrum and it's doing great

(After typing this I just realized I should run a test for a few days, but still interested in thoughts here!!)

I have a passive solar greenhouse and I took some detailed daily temps during one of our colder winters here in Maine. As you can see from the graph, the day temps spike but we move hot air (through 700' of 4" drainage pipe) into stone dust flooring and that helps the temps from slamming down after sunset (which is 4pm!) Wondering if I were to use a tent and run the lights for the cooler parts of the night, would heat from LED sufficiently heat the tent? I moved my plants into same GH in May and saw nightly interior temps hit 45F and no issues with plants...but I'm not interested with gambling with temps in the dead of winter. Btw, never did an inside grow so I am still working through the mental logistics!
GH_temps.jpg

(After typing this I just realized I should run a test for a few days, but still interested in thoughts here!!)

I have a passive solar greenhouse and I took some detailed daily temps during one of our colder winters here in Maine. As you can see from the graph, the day temps spike but we move hot air (through 700' of 4" drainage pipe) into stone dust flooring and that helps the temps from slamming down after sunset (which is 4pm!) Wondering if I were to use a tent and run the lights for the cooler parts of the night, would heat from LED sufficiently heat the tent? I moved my plants into same GH in May and saw nightly interior temps hit 45F and no issues with plants...but I'm not interested with gambling with temps in the dead of winter. Btw, never did an inside grow so I am still working through the mental logistics!
GH_temps.jpg

The other perk is that electric is cheaper at night so that's a plus also at least in the states

If flipping over from lights on during daytime to lights on at night, would you keep the lights on for 24 hrs (or more) then switch?

If flipping over from lights on during daytime to lights on at night, would you keep the lights on for 24 hrs (or more) then switch?

I think that ideally you wouldn't subject your plants to that kind of stress and wait until the next grow to try the inverted schedule.

I think that ideally you wouldn't subject your plants to that kind of stress and wait until the next grow to try the inverted schedule.
True - don't want to stress the little ones.

I will try the inverted light/dark schedule in my soon-to-arrive tent for less heating cost during the winter months. I just bought a 3 X 3 tent to use in a different area of the garage (also unheated), and will do a comparison grow between the two grow areas. My original 4 X 4 room will be the LED grow and the tent will be the HID (MH/HPS) grow. Both rooms will have 2 plants - 1 Sour Diesel, 1 Cali OG Kush x Haze. It will be an interesting experiment to see the differences between the two light sources.

I have tried this before compare watt to watt for gram to gram and of course quality!! The LED should give you better quality but HID should give you quantity

That's interesting. So you had two identical grows with the same actual wattage from the wall, one with LED and the other with LED?

They weren't same wattage from the wall it was a 1000w HPS and 2 mars 192 reflector they are 400 from the wall so it was 800'true Led watts

"This is interesting" !

So my little £98 Maizhi pulls the same ???? . And 900+par at 18inch! MMMM maybe you should call Hydroponicseller-uk lol my eBay contact lol

So my little £98 Maizhi pulls the same ???? . And 900+par at 18inch! MMMM maybe you should call Hydroponicseller-uk lol my eBay contact lol
Look at what I get for £196 !!!!!

Money is the key dude. IV seen some nice buds come from low budget led. And spending £1000 on something that you may only use once or twice!!!! Or get your door smashed down by the "Fuzz" . £1000 gone or £100 gone?? When it's decriminalised here I will blitz £1000+ on them np

Back
Top Bottom