High Desert Greenhouse Grow

I’ve been using this lightweight frost cover as shade for my tomatoes, but it usually only gets up to 102-105 here. The cannabis doesn’t seem to care too much about the heat.
F55AAB84-8385-4C5C-9590-D1CCE47DA02C.jpeg

I can't believe I did this - but - I installed a small air conditioner this morning in my greenhouse. I hardly ever use one for myself....
I'll see how this summer goes but I may end up just going totally outdoors unless anyone knows of a good heat resistant strain.

Blocking the sun does more than help the plant mitigate heat stress. It also helps preserve the oils and terpenes within the plant. Later on in flower when there is buds and trichomes I prefer to give them some type of shade covering to keep the trichomes from collapsing. Just my two cents. Hope all is green and well @Fredwak

But does the lack of direct sun hinder the plants?? It is still pretty bright under the white tarp but...
I prefer early day full sun and in the middle of the day give some shade if possible for a couple hours. Look up DLI or daily light integral map and see what your dli average is. You may not need to give shade depending on where you are on the map.

The silica is typically added with the water. I like a level around 50-75 ppm Si. For me, at 68 ppm (3ml/gal of Dyna Gro ProteKt), it makes the stems very tough yet pliable, and the leaves are kinda like leather. There’s very little pest damage also. It’s essential in my outdoor grows.

How do you keep things cooled off??? I heard a mister mentioned.
I may have been the one who mentioned a mister. They work well for me but only because of the low humidity (10%) and high heat (100F+) of where I’m at. Lower temperatures and higher humidity won’t work, it would be similar to a sprinkler running all day, just making things wet, humid, and still hot. The conditions I have doesn’t allow the water mist to make it the 7 feet to the ground, it evaporates, cooling the air. Anyone familiar with swamp coolers knows what I’m talking about, they become ineffective in high humidity conditions or lower temperatures.

If it’s something you want to give a shot Green Jeans, I believe the kit I bought from my Home Depot was $30ish. It has a regular garden hose connection and is 10 feet long. I personally would recommend (if you think it’s something that would work for your conditions) the fans that have misters attached to them since you’re in a greenhouse and not open air like me. I think without the air flow it will get very tropical inside your greenhouse and not the beautiful beaches and fruity cocktails tropical.

The silica is typically added with the water. I like a level around 50-75 ppm Si. For me, at 68 ppm (3ml/gal of Dyna Gro ProteKt), it makes the stems very tough yet pliable, and the leaves are kinda like leather. There’s very little pest damage also. It’s essential in my outdoor grows.

always add silica to your water first before any other liquid nutrients.

ou may not need to give shade depending on where you are on the map.
I'll give that a look see - but I need shade - sadly my exposure is south so I get the sun from about 10:30 until 7 when the sun gets behind the trees. It easily climbs up over 30. If it is a coolish day opening the windows and using the fan works but on a day like today were outside in the shade is 32 I'm screwed!!!

not the beautiful beaches and fruity cocktails tropical.
Yeah - I was looking into misters today - but like you say, our humidity is real high here. I'm kicking around the idea of drilling down and putting a water loop into the ground and see if that would provide enough cooling. Running that air conditioner just goes against the grain for me - I'm old and cheap!!!

Yeah they really become ineffective after 30% humidity. The shade screens I bought for my canopy are from Harbor Freight, pretty cheap and effective. Down here the sun just destroys anything outside from the uv, so spending 3 to 4 times the amount of money on a nice shade screen that might last a year longer didn’t have me too excited. That’s what I get for 360 days of sun and 9” of rain a year, a person can get really tired of sunny skies pretty quick.

Happy Solstice brother Fred! :surf:
It snuck up on me! Shorter days, buds gonna start filling out soon. Happy solstice to you as well my friend! Let's have a toke on it. I'm gonna vape some cookies. :passitleft: Stay safe and stay stoned

I have been using a white vinyl tarp as a shade but find it doesn't do much - does the green mesh do a better job??
Yeah, sorry gj. The mesh let's the airflow.

Love and respect to all :passitleft: Vaping some cookies this morning. Holy shit! I'm sorry I was away and missed this great discussion on shade. Easily the longest on any of my journals. Thank you!:yahoo: In my climate zone, much like yours,Phantom, low humidity and high temperatures, as well as relentless sun can present difficulties. As if that isnt enough to work with, I've got high winds as well so greenhouse placement and construction has taken this into consideration. I deal with the heat by using the green shade netting(more of a mesh really) on two sides of the greenhouses and on the new one I've had to use it on top as well. Having an all clear structure would create a solar oven. And the air flow through the mesh must be beneficial. So on to the girls....... Greenhouse 1: Gelato, White Widow, AK-47 and Afghani. Greenhouse 2: Duban Poison, Do So Do, Afghani.
20200621_084622.jpg
20200621_091150.jpg
20200621_091534.jpg
20200621_091013.jpg
20200621_084508.jpg
20200621_083351.jpg
20200621_083211.jpg
20200621_083504.jpg
20200621_083738.jpg

Attachments

• 20200621_091247.jpg
    20200621_091247.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 27
Both your greenhouses look well stocked and super healthy! Excellent variety as well. :thumb:

I hope you're having a great weekend. :passitleft:

Love and respect to all. Well, things are slowly picking up in the greenhouses. It looks like my attempt at producing some purple punch seeds may have been fruitful. There a few of these little nugs on this stunted female that have the full seed pods. I used a small paintbrush and pollinated them individually. Stay safe and stay stoned.
20200509_101928.jpg
Man those leafs are covered in froth bro

Back
Top Bottom